Sat Nav (Waze app)

I know this is not a trucker app, but I’m just wondering if anyone used it?

Free app for smart phones

Free traffic updates

Free speed camera alerts

From what I gather it’s all updated by users.

If you have used it can you let me know how you got on with it?

[emoji106]

Its chuffing marvellous!

Haha does it reroute you when there’s traffic?

It gives you options

Is it me or does it seriously eat into your battery life? I installed it the other day and I had to turn it off after a while? :open_mouth:

I’ve just looked online and apparently the Inrix traffic app is better, well it’s got a better rating anyway?

Yeah it eats battery, but that’s probably the GPS. Had the same problem with Nokia Drive flattening the battery in a few hours after accidentally leaving it running. Maybe best running it plugged in. Same problem with dedicated sat navs though and no idea why as it doesn’t need to transmit.

Only thing with Waze is, does it have any info related to trucks? I know we should look out manually for bridges etc, but there’s quite a few roads which tell you nothing until you’re 100 yards from said bridge, staring at it and knowing that however fast you drive that truck really ain’t going under it…roof or no roof. :slight_smile:

You could run waze I guess beside a sat nav as it appears to default to whatever road you’re on, so can warn of problems ahead.

Any mapping running a map will flatten a battery in a couple of hrs
I take it your running windows have look at aponia or mapfactor

I’ve used Waze for a couple of months now in my car commute, agreed it does zip through the battery & as far as I can see there is not option of type of vehicle.

On the plus side, it does allow users to update the live traffic conditions, but be wary, your eyes are off the road whilst trying to do this, its a bit fiddly, but good for planning ahead, the voices are a bit annoying (as most). The best bit I found is that it allows you to send via text or email to your contact an upto date ETA, just ping it & off it goes :wink:

The other novel idea, but I dont really see the benefit unless your part of a big firm is that you can see live on the map, where your friends/collegues are in relation to you (suppose a pre-alert so you can wave) :unamused:

I think eventually once I have a few bucks, I’ll go for a dedicated sat nav, with a nice large screen.
I’ve been running in on iPhone, but would be interested to see if they have an iPad mini version, that would look nice on the dash.