Sat nav updates

How often should I update my sat nav somebody told me every week but it’s working great
Any info world be great cheers

I do mine every week it’s something to do with keeping satellite whatsits up to date.

Or you can leave it for sooooooo long that no longer updates, leaving you with a Sat Nav that knows where you are and where you are going 98% of the time, and the other 2% of the time? Well I can pretend I’m an old school trucker just following my nose :laughing:

dri-diddly-iver:
I do mine every week it’s something to do with keeping satellite whatsits up to date.

The advice to update every week is only valid if you don’t use the thing very often, or travel from one end of the Continent to the other between uses. The “whatsits” to which you refer include the GPS almanac data which tell the GPS receiver in your satnav whereabouts in the sky the satellites should be at any given time/date, plus other information allowing a much quicker position fix (typically 30 seconds or so from switch-on) and better positional accuracy. This data is continuously broadcast by the satellites anyway, so provided your unit has been switched on and receiving GPS signals for an hour or so within the past week (the data is valid for seven days) it’ll already be up to date.

Connecting to your computer allows the whole shebang to be dowloaded in a couple of minutes, but it is still subject to the same 7-day validity. If you have a TomTom with Live Services (and a valid subscription) it will be downloading the data via the mobile phone network anyway, so again no need to update via the computer.

The other stuff you get in your updates (mapping, speed cameras etc and Operating System updates) change much less frequently so probably no need to connect more often than monthly, if at all.

Outstanding raymondo thanks very much :smiley: