Sat nav the best of the best

sat navs make you lazy but save you loads of time, i had tomtom 520, was going to get tomtom 7150 truck,
but told mapping is better on snooper truckmate s7000 with digital tv 7 inch screen
i can tell you the post codes are spot on as long as you have getting right postcode, i done as follows put your truck info in height 14 ft width 8ft length 40 ft weight 26 tonne
been to london central few times it avoids low bridges automatically gives you best route for truck
what a brill sat nav

Got one as standard in my car and what a load of crap,what is wrong with a good map and / or experience ?

A boxful of A to Z and a Collins map worked for over 30 years for me. Still got them.

gothika:
sat navs make you lazy but save you loads of time, i had tomtom 520, was going to get tomtom 7150 truck,
but told mapping is better on snooper truckmate s7000 with digital tv 7 inch screen
i can tell you the post codes are spot on as long as you have getting right postcode, i done as follows put your truck info in height 14 ft width 8ft length 40 ft weight 26 tonne
been to london central few times it avoids low bridges automatically gives you best route for truck
what a brill sat nav

what’s this got to do with old time lorries,companies and drivers :question: ,wrong thread pal

What ever happened to the A-Z used to have them for everywhere you cant beat them .90% of the people who come to my depot who are not drivers all ring me from Kimberly Clarkes at Northfleet when they reley on the sat -nav and never like my answer when they say whats the quickest way to you now and I tell them jetski.Half the old boys on here never had a brief on there windows let alone a sat -nav
I tghink this thread is in the wrong index

“All you need is a tongue in your head” Thats what my old guv’nor used to say!

Regards,

Mark.

mrken:
What ever happened to the A-Z used to have them for everywhere you cant beat them .90% of the people who come to my depot who are not drivers all ring me from Kimberly Clarkes at Northfleet when they reley on the sat -nav and never like my answer when they say whats the quickest way to you now and I tell them jetski.Half the old boys on here never had a brief on there windows let alone a sat -nav
I tghink this thread is in the wrong index

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Ain’t that a fact.

Love it !

GAZ70:

gothika:
what a brill sat nav

what’s this got to do with old time lorries,companies and drivers :question: ,wrong thread pal

Agreed mate, it was rather off-topic in the forum where it was originally posted, so I’ve moved it to where it can get more views and opinions.

I don’t get this reluctance to try new ideas. We never used to have mobile phones, radio, TV. trucks never used to have Auto gearboxes, air con, heaters, air ride suspension, heated mirros, power steering, even at one time they didn’t have air in the tyres! So what is wrong with using a new tool that will wieht about 300 gr, instead of a box of maps weighing 20 Kg?

I like to check my route on Google Earth then follow the sat-nav if its in agreement with the already known directions.I.M.O. A folding map is OK. if you have a second man to read it for you.

On one my previous jobs all i got was a printed A4 piece of paper with the distance motorways on one side and a close up of the delivery point access roads on the other side taken from a microsoft autoroute disc. Worked a treat :stuck_out_tongue: , then the sat nav came out and when i bought one the boss called me a sissy. !! :laughing:

night shift bri:
A boxful of A to Z and a Collins map worked for over 30 years for me. Still got them.

Agreed, and then you go somewhere and they have changed the road network, so you draw in pen on the map how the road goes now. never mind all that uploading updates, pah.

chris:

night shift bri:

Agreed, and then you go somewhere and they have changed the road network, so you draw in pen on the map how the road goes now. never mind all that uploading updates, pah.

I got my 1st sat nav when I was on agency on b+q home delivery. Could do 1st drop Carlisle, then work down (cockermouth, barrow in furness etc) and finish in Preston, then next day could be North Wales, day after could be Yorkshire.

I didn’t know the day before if I was working, never mind where I’d be going, how many a-z’s would I have to carry, mostly home address deliveries, sometimes farms, rarely to shops.

Sat nav made the job (17+ drops) a piece of ■■■■, and it wasn’t even a truck nav back then either, just a tomtom 1 and eyeball mk1 looking out for bridges, weights etc.

When I was at school I wanted to excel in 2 subjects, Geography, to find my way around, and English, to ask directions !!! As most of the lads on here have said, a decent map, A-to-Z’s of towns you went to regularly, and a tongue in your head.
Still not got a S-N, , don’t need one, and will never get one… :unamused:

However…my first truck had no heater, radio, power steering, comfy seat, etc…so I guess it’s progress…wonder what’ll happen if the system ever shut down…be a lot of very lost people… :blush: