Sat nav s& bridge height maps

I keep finding more & more bridges that are not on the bridge height map although they are on normal roads not A or B roads or on weight limited roads so I just wondered if the sat nav drivers had experienced this ?

I’ve never had a problem with bridges, my sat nav (TomTom) seems to have it covered… I did have issues with the Drivers atlas missing weight restrictions and low bridges, so I don’t use the atlas now!!!

Paper atlases are only updated once every year or two at the absolute minimum, often it can be a few years before they’re updated whereas with Satnavs new mapping data can be released and uploaded to them literally the same day a road opens. When they were doing the Leeming Bar to Scotch Corner upgrade of the A1 to motorway Google Maps was updating the old junctions that were getting closed around Marham Barracks and Catterick and the new ones opening between J51 and 53 on the days they changed. When the northbound traffic was being diverted onto a short stretch of the newly built motorway around the barracks before rejoing the old A1 and the southbound traffic was still on the old A1 Google Maps would route you on those appropriately.

Of course though if you never update your Tomtom, Copilot Truck, Garmin etc maps then it’ll suffer the same out of date info problems as a paper maps.

Paper maps can and never will keep up with Satnav for updates. The closest they can ever be is 2-3 months behind Satnav on the day a new revision of a paper map first goes on sale due to the time it takes to author a new map, send it to print and get stocks of newly printed maps to sell.

Yes I understand that but I mean bridges that have been around since the invention of the railway more than recent builds .

old snooper was fine with bridges , new one I haven’t used yet really but would assume it would be ok like last one

Yeah my bridge height map misses a few, but my Tom Tom in all fairness has been superb and I’ve had it for four years now. I can’t recall one instance where it’s led to a bridge I’m unable to get under but I do also do the sensible thing and use my eyes too.

What brand of sat nav are you using? Never had the Tomtom 6250 miss one, although for last 3 years not gone massively off-piest. No idea where they get tje info from, guessing the OS.

I know the Phillips paper map doesn’t have the one just down from my house which causes a few problems (would help if council put up a sign both ends not just one). I assume the maps get info from the OS too but bybthe time thats updated, then added to the database, then you wait for the next publication which could mean 4 years.

533FD818-A615-44B9-AB71-7F01E71C872C.jpeg
545FF09B-4C26-4526-8FC1-90E1FC881216.jpeg

trevHCS:
What brand of sat nav are you using? Never had the Tomtom 6250 miss one, although for last 3 years not gone massively off-piest. No idea where they get tje info from, guessing the OS.

I know the Phillips paper map doesn’t have the one just down from my house which causes a few problems (would help if council put up a sign both ends not just one). I assume the maps get info from the OS too but bybthe time thats updated, then added to the database, then you wait for the next publication which could mean 4 years.

This one :laughing: ,12 ft bridge at Castleton another one not in it .2012 edition so fairly modern .

Giggle…

You rookies.

We had one driver who said Hinckley bridge on the A5 wasn’t on his satnav as he drove under the 15’ bridge with a 16’ 4 trailer. It was his 2nd day, there wasn’t a 3rd :open_mouth:

I’ve had 3 crap navs a tom tom a garmin and a pro nav, all three of them were a total waste of money, absolute junk, not even worth bin space

vannin:
I’ve had 3 crap navs a tom tom a garmin and a pro nav, all three of them were a total waste of money, absolute junk, not even worth bin space

In what respect were they rubbish mate? Not having a pop, I’m genuinely curious as to your take on it.

I’ve been commercially driving since the 80’s so am obviously well used to paper maps to navigate. I have an all singing and all dancing Tom Tom now and find it a Godsend tbh. Obviously I envisage routes in my head before setting off as experience gives me that ability, and I always have the sat nav muted as I’m going to go the way I’ve picked. But for the final mile or two to a new delivery they’re far superior to a paper map I find.

Punchy Dan:
This one :laughing: ,12 ft bridge at Castleton another one not in it .2012 edition so fairly modern .

Phew, was worried you were using something upto date! The problem is, you’ve not enabled Bluetooth on the 2012 AA paper map so it won’t auto update, unless it’s one of the Chinese knockoffs.

I’ll unearth the Phillips one in my car and see if its in there. Could test it on the Tomtom, but we all know how crap those are so would be a waste of time. :wink:

I actually wonder if there’s a min height of bridge before they include it?

the maoster:

vannin:

In what respect were they rubbish mate? Not having a pop, I’m genuinely curious as to your take on it.

I’ve been commercially driving since the 80’s so am obviously well used to paper maps to navigate. I have an all singing and all dancing Tom Tom now and find it a Godsend tbh. Obviously I envisage routes in my head before setting off as experience gives me that ability, and I always have the sat nav muted as I’m going to go the way I’ve picked. But for the final mile or two to a new delivery they’re far superior to a paper map I find.

Like Button… :smiley:

Having had other drivers moaning about how crap their Truck sat nav is,
Me"have you set it up"
Them “don’t need to it’s for a truck”
Me “would you like me to have a quick look”
Them “yeah go on then, but it no good”
Me" you have it on car settings and you haven’t put your Vehicle diamensions in"
Them"
How ya do that"
Me “like this, try that and report back”
Them " o fanks".

A common issue

Punchy Dan:

Dan, I thought you invented the saying, buy cheap, buy twice.

Circa 2008.

Ooh looks like I’am going map shopping then :blush:

the trouble with bridge height maps is they don’t tell you about weight limit bridges
where as tom tom truck sat navs do

I’ve never experienced that, not even once.

What I experience is, the map will say 14’ 4", the sat nav says 14’ 7", Google street view shows 14’ 10", but it’s probably physically 15’ 1"…

…and I’m 14’ 11".

the maoster:

vannin:

Same. I remember central London multi drop with an A to Z on my lap. Almost barbaric to think of these days :open_mouth:

But yeah they’re a fantastic tool used properly, set correctly, and with common sense and observation applied. Like you I dont blindly follow, I know my own route and sometimes drop pins so it will take me a preferred way, so in a sense if I’m telling it the way I must know where I’m going but uts handy for traffic along the way which I find Tom Tom really quite good at.

villa:
the trouble with bridge height maps is they don’t tell you about weight limit bridges
where as tom tom truck sat navs do

You sure about that?