Sat nav recommendation

Can anyone recommend a good hgv sat nav that’s not going to cost a fortune. Cheers .

No replies.

Hopefully you have thought why?

Professional drivers route plan!

I’ve tried most of them and found issues. TRUST in common sense… they are just an aid. The trick* satnavs by Garmin and TomTom are about £400. I’ve found TomTom maps inaccurate… I haven’t tested Garmin so I can’t comment.

Trips into London i have found a truck satnav just gets confused. Artics are for A-roads and so any smaller roads are possible trouble.

I use Google and Here maps to route plan, make sketches maybe, and notes perhaps where I am going to take break. Then one considers where weight restrictions could be or a bridge. Any road atlas will show whether a road goes over or under a bridge. Routing asatnva gives is sometimes horrendous. If you have the Philips truckers atlas you can check for heights. But any A-road will almost certainly be 16’6" or over.That being said I don’t think I have looked at mine this year… I tend to look at my A5 AA atlas and give the route a think. Trust road signs. Remember anywhere you are required to go will have been PLANNED and there is a way there for an artic. e.g. Sheffield seven hills, loads of aqaducts and bridges.

Roads with ‘Unsuitable for HGV’ signs… I found a truck satnav invariably sends you down. If it is not marked with a weight limit the satnav does not know.

My recommendation is - use common sense and save yourself some cash. Always route plan and use any satnav to just ‘bring you in’ to the destination postcode. Postcodes: having said that I tend to use the road name and town - many postcodes can cover a wide area and I find it worthwhile to just go for the road itself. Ask an experienced driver what satnav he uses - I love the way many say… Well I don’t really use one! Use common sense instead is really what they mean.

Note *: oops typo error… trick = truck

I’ve had a quick look and this is the cheapest I can find that is decent

smile.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-LMT-D … 152&sr=8-5

I have a Garmin Dezl 770 Truck Version and I’m very happy with it. It lets me take on agency work throughout London and easily made it’s money back and more.

Getting into London, there’s many A-Roads with height restrictions. The railway bridge at Norbury, South London on the A23 is just one example

I have no idea what the Camper version is like of the Garmin Dezl 770 so double check if you purchase to make sure you get the Truck version.

I have compared mine to a TomTom Pro and found the TomTom came up with some strange routing in London. Couple that with what seems to be a finite product life of 3-4 years with trouble updating it after a while and the Garmin begins to make even more sense.

I should add, I always keep one of these in my bag too (The 2017 version though) - Just in case, as well as Google Maps on the phone, again just in case. smile.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Navi … 156&sr=8-3

smile.amazon.co.uk lets you nominate a charity and they get a % of the cost, donated. It does not cost you anymore, but Amazon donate it on your behalf

Hyh:

Getting into London, there’s many A-Roads with height restrictions. The railway bridge at Norbury, South London on the A23 is just one example…

There are indeed. I must confess that I have not gone down the A23. I’ve done trips to Croydon and Bromley and seemed to get on ok. Other times I have been East and North and not got into trouble. The point I wanted to make and perhaps not very well is that Highways have to provide access for large vehicles to locations. The phone truck satnavs I haven’t found reliable. I use a linux computer - TomTom and Garmin updates rely on windows for updates… so not an option for me.

Temporary roadworks remain a pain and those one cannot foresee.

I see :slight_smile:
Highways should provide access, but they don’t always handle A-Road stuff and leave it to council. I know Highways deals with all things motorways for sure.

Have you tried a Windows Emulator for the Linux system or possibly a dual-boot option?

Totally agree on temporary roadworks - a total pain in the arse and sometimes not even artic friendly, let alone double decker friendly…

Hyh:
I see :slight_smile:
a] Highways should provide access, but they don’t always handle A-Road stuff and leave it to council. I know Highways deals with all things motorways for sure.

b]Have you tried a Windows Emulator for the Linux system or possibly a dual-boot option?

c]Totally agree on temporary roadworks - a total pain in the arse and sometimes not even artic friendly, let alone double decker friendly…

a] Thing is when they planned and built the area - they had to provide a route for large vehicles carrying the materials… so whatever the restrictions in place somehow there is a way there. Although as you have rightly pointed out London areas are more complex.

b] I did a while back but the trouble with Linux is that it is constantly updating. I’ve used Xubuntu now since 2008… windows is by comparison resource hungry. I should get a new PC but to be honest ever since I did driving I’ve not had much spare cash. Trying to keep a car on the road leaves me struggling. Again doing tramping does not leave one with much spare time. On my days off I struggle to get the garden done.

c] Last summer I got lost on the A14/A1(M) alterations and that is not a pleasant experience at night. Diversion signs can be very confusing when there are a number of diversions. Satnav crashes and one struggles to find somewhere to stop to ‘get one’s bearings’ again. Sometimes I just hate driving an artic.

jessejazza:
But any A-road will almost certainly be 16’6" or over.

I think you may need to downgrade your “almost certainly” assertion somewhat! There are many, many low bridges on A-roads that are well under 16’ 6" clearance - and not just in/around London…

Roymondo:

jessejazza:
But any A-road will almost certainly be 16’6" or over.

I think you may need to downgrade your “almost certainly” assertion somewhat! There are many, many low bridges on A-roads that are well under 16’ 6" clearance - and not just in/around London…

Well I only pull fridges or standard trailers which are 4.25m height. You’re right there are many >4.3m i.e. 14 ft to 16ft6" but don’t concern me.