Sat Nav Question?

I have decided to leave the driving of trucks to others and instead do hotshot van deliveries across Europe (just bought new Sprinter). To this end I am after some advice as to the most suitable type of satnav that I would need.
I have done some research and have narrowed it down to 3 models ie: Mio 269+; Tom Tom 710 or Tom Tom 910.
I have read reports about the screen freezing on the Tom Tom’s but I don’t have any definitive gen on the Mio, therefore, your help would be appreciated. Ta :slight_smile:

I`ve not had a problem with TT, but I am using TT on a IPAQ
the only issue I have with it is its ability to keep up with me, on roundabouts for example, as I may have passed the exit it indicates before the screen image catches up.
mebbe a better GPS reciever would deal with this issue

I would go for the TT 700, these cover all of Europe and are basicly the same as the 910 but older and therfore cheaper.They both have the same software, except the 910 has an MP3 player and other silly bits not required. Mine hasnt let me down yet.

Rewmer - thing is mate, is that the TT700 does cover most of Europe but the TT900 also covers Hungary, Poland, Slovakia, Czech etc and as I maybe going there I’m thinking that this would be the better option, however, the screen freezing bit is a little bit off-putting.

have you got a laptop as you can use autoroute instead of all the maps just in case your sat nav packs inyou can also zoom into specific areas
break a leg on your new adventures it goes without saying keep us posted with pics if you get the time

HAIRYGORILLA:
have you got a laptop as you can use autoroute instead of all the maps just in case your sat nav packs inyou can also zoom into specific areas
break a leg on your new adventures it goes without saying keep us posted with pics if you get the time

I`ve ben toying with going in that direction,and adding a GPS card to the laptop as the newer version of AR does work with GPS

unfortunately all my copies of AR, in fact most of my software req`s Deamon tools to load onto the PC

I`ve ben toying with going in that direction,and adding a GPS card to the laptop as the newer version of AR does work with GPS

avoid AR2006, the postcode database is broken - puts postcodes miles from where they should be!!

lots of discussion on the usenet AR newsgroup - m$ not issuing a patch either!!!

have the tt700 and its no problem,as the 910 has come down a bit in price,if and when i need a new one i will get the 910…as for screen freezing yes they do,but so does your pc so all you do is reboot it,there’s a small hole near the power connector,insert pin,push and it’s rebooted,sorted…

and you can always scream and shout at it and it wont argue back :unamused: :unamused:

personally I’d go for the 910 or if you have a phone on contract then something like copilot 6 (for tracking and messaging capabilites on something like a xda mini S or xda iq these are available from other mobile providers look at tmobile as they have some free unlimited gprs packages

or something like igo on mini s or other pocket pc

the same software can be had on the new mio range go for one of top one and you can use it as handsfree kit and it does most of eastern europe

there are other easier solutions around other than and all in one device

Denis F:

avoid AR2006, the postcode database is broken - puts postcodes miles from where they should be!!

lots of discussion on the usenet AR newsgroup - m$ not issuing a patch either!!!

i read all that too, however, a collegue has 2006 and it works fine for him. No different to my 2005 version for reliabilty.
Maybe they have released newer versions under the 2006 banner?

dennisw1:
i read all that too, however, a collegue has 2006 and it works fine for him. No different to my 2005 version for reliabilty.
Maybe they have released newer versions under the 2006 banner?

no idea about the versions, but my copy of 2006 is pants, I’ve uninstalled it and gone back to using 2003 :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

much easier to set average speeds as well, 2006 uses a slider (slow-average-fast) while 2003 uses actual numbers

I have the TT910 and had it back to Halfords twice. Yes they do freeze or turn themselves off for no apparent reason plus the in places the mapping seems really out of date ■■. Cannot compare with others but i am now quite wary of it especially when it froze on me on my first jaunt into London for LIFT - Stress levels that day were bloody high :open_mouth:

If you’re looking for good prices (of whatever unit you choose), the following site always seems to do well. Definately cheaper than eBay, BTW!!

http://www.find-satnav-deals.co.uk/new_models

I have TT5 on a PDA .Always got me where I needed to go .Did have my doubts when I first bought it and put in some test routes .Wanted me to drive over a bridge that has been pedestrianised ,and also kept trying to send me the wrong way down a one way street .May not be so bad if these roads were changed recently ,but they have been that layout for probably 30 years or more.

They are very useful, just dont blindly follow the instructions :unamused: .

Personally I would go the PDA route .Lets you try out different software when it becomes available :wink:

my pioneer avic x 1 has eire on it :smiley:

paul

i have a MIO 268 with the latest update…so would definately reccommend the MIO 269…i have had no probs with it and it covers the whole of europe including the eastern bloc countries…best gadget i ever bought…