Sat Nav positions

Thought i had seen just about everything until today…

ive been taking notice to just where people place their sat navs, as ive seen some really bad
places to have them… but today tops the lot!!!

Driver - windscreen - sat nav RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEIR FACE! in the middle of the screen
level to their eyes.
This has got to be something which needs to be looked into.

but it did make me laugh :laughing:

Ive seen this a few times, bizarre is one word that comes to mind.

Boneheed:

Sounds as though he is, literally :smiley:

I am becoming more and more convinced that some people are now driving by following the road on their Sat Nav rather than looking at the actual road. It tends to be younger drivers and I think it stems from playing driving games on their games consoles.

So, not even looking as far as the end of their bonnets now.

yes, they are following it like a HUD

Seen a young woman last week with her sat nav strapped to the steering wheel :open_mouth:

I’ve seen one or two cars with the sat-nav in front of the drivers face and I agree it’s a bit weird :open_mouth:

What I’m still trying to figure out though is why so many people now seem to use a sat-nav to go a mile to the supermarket or on the school run, surely if you do a mile and half journey every day you shouldn’t need a sat-nav to get there :laughing:

Thetaff:
Seen a young woman last week with her sat nav strapped to the steering wheel :open_mouth:

awesome :laughing: :laughing: can see it now…

Sat nav tells her to make a U-turn, and she follows it, she’ll just end up going round in circles :laughing: :laughing:

a colleague of mine seen a car with husband and wife with a sat nav each on the screen

tachograph:
I’ve seen one or two cars with the sat-nav in front of the drivers face and I agree it’s a bit weird :open_mouth:

What I’m still trying to figure out though is why so many people now seem to use a sat-nav to go a mile to the supermarket or on the school run, surely if you do a mile and half journey every day you shouldn’t need a sat-nav to get there :laughing:

Thats the main problem with it i’m afraid. You never learn anything when your following instructions all the time. A mate of mine has done a once a week run now for 6 months and still can’t find it without the satnav. He can’t seem to understand that if he didn’t use it and had to find the place himself, he might actually remember where it is. I must agree though, the amount of people you see with them on in supermarket car parks etc, is a bit of a worry!

The ones at night with it on bright make me laugh it lights up the whole of the inside of the car I’d be surprised if they can actually see the road over the glow

Boneheed:

ive been taking notice to just where people place their sat navs, as ive seen some really bad

Driver - windscreen - sat nav RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEIR FACE! in the middle of the screen
level to their eyes.

. I’m sure VOSA can issue a £30 fine for having a blocked screen and if you left your sat nav or holder on the screen and put your car in for an MOT it would probably fail for the same reason.

Long distance clara:

Boneheed:

level to their eyes.

. I’m sure VOSA can issue a £30 fine for having a blocked screen and if you left your sat nav or holder on the screen and put your car in for an MOT it would probably fail for the same reason.

Your correct Clara, anything in the swept area of the glass is an automatic failure.

kevmac47:
Your correct Clara, anything in the swept area of the glass is an automatic failure.

Not always.

When I had an OBU for the German Maut fitted part of it was in the windscreen within the swept area, it was glued to the screen and removing it would have been a major hassle, not to mention refitting it.

This was in the very early days of the Maut and very few UK trucks had an OBU fitted. My mate Mick also had one and his vehicle was up a couple of weeks before mine for MOT. Prior to going to the MOT station, because we were concerned about failing because of this thing, he had a long conversation with some high up bloke in VOSA about this issue. It resulted in him emailing the bloke pictures of the device and we got an email back from him we could show at MOT time giving dispensation for it and no automatic failure.

The other box in the picture was for paying Italian road tolls but that was easily removed as it was stuck to the windscreen by clear plastic velcro type stuff.

MrHappy:

tachograph:

Thats the main problem with it i’m afraid. You never learn anything when your following instructions all the time. A mate of mine has done a once a week run now for 6 months and still can’t find it without the satnav. He can’t seem to understand that if he didn’t use it and had to find the place himself, he might actually remember where it is. I must agree though, the amount of people you see with them on in supermarket car parks etc, is a bit of a worry!

Maybe they’re using it for their hands free?

Mine’s always on, even when I know where I’m going, and this has been discussed before.

Having it in the middle of the screen is a joke, mine’s usually over the speedo :smiling_imp:

Thetaff:

I think it can be a ‘comfort’ thing. Y’know young woman driving at night, it’s like having partner/husband in the motor with them?

waynedl:

MrHappy:

tachograph:

Maybe they’re using it for their hands free?

Now I see, I wasn’t aware it had been discussed before though.

I also think it’s a bad idea to get over reliant on a sat-nav, apart from the fact that you never learn your way around you also tend to miss a lot of the sights around you when you’re not learning the routes or observing landmarks.

Funny, I was discussing this with my missus last week. we passed a car that had a satnav, mobile phone, PDA (looked like) AND a notepad holder all stuck to the centre of his windscreen in a line :open_mouth: It looked like a split-screen Albion or something…
When are people going to realise that a windscreen is not a ■■■■ ing docking station :question:

i had to dig this post back up… as today i seen one even better!

german driver with his nav in the middle of the screen, this time it was an ipad!
took up most of the screen :laughing:

MrHappy:

tachograph:

Good job he is not on sugar beet.There are no postcodes for a field or a beet pad.