Sat Nav Location

Hi All,

So basically - I drive a DAF LF 260 18ton.

The sat nav I use is pretty big (Garmin Dezl 1000).

I don’t like putting it in the bottom right corner, as it takes up quite a chunk of what I can see. I drive around Manchester City Centre, so need to see as much as possible.

I place the sat nav in the middle, but right at the top underneath the middle sun visor or sometimes right in the top right corner underneath the sun visor with the visor closed and wear sunglasses. I feel this is out of the way and I can see pedestrians across all the bottom of my windscreen.

Is this ok or not?

If it’s a daf with stupid huge sticking out round dashboard I’d be tempted get a holder stand it on there someware or on the airvents

If it’s behind the sun visors (if they were in use) then it has to be ok, if it’s legal to use the sun visors.

Seems a bit extreme tho’ can you see it ok? Not need sunvisors?

Yeah that was what I was thinking, the sun visors are pretty big. If I can use them legally, then a sat nav can take the same space?

I cant open the visor with the sat nav taking its place, so usually just stick it under the middle visor so it leaves my driver’s side visor free to use if needed (but my sunglasses do a decent job anyhow). I can see fine in sunny conditions with my glasses on.

Just wanted to make sure it’s not illegal. But the Sat Nav at the top of the screen makes more sense to me than at the bottom (where it would/could block my view of pedestrians).

It’s a lose lose situation.
Generally you should continuously scan across the mirrors and ahead and diverting attention high up the screen between that will interfere with that process.Ive never used a sat nav and don’t even know how to programme one.
Google maps on the phone now replaces all the old maps we used with the win win of telling you where you are in real time.
It’s easy enough to get a reference at any point.Usually you can plan and memorise most if not all of the route, including alternatives if needed, before even starting out.
Then just navigate the route you need in the usual way by storing the results from the map in the short term memory of the Mk1 human brain that served us well in the decades before sat navs were invented.
It’s fun telling staff that I won’t need it I already know where the place is and how to get there from Google maps, when they tell me to programme delivery destinations into new car sat navs and I wouldn’t know how to anyway.

Anything on the windscreen that coves the swept area of the wiper blades is illegal and it would fail a MOT test if it was still attached in that place. Those is the rules although apparently the Police seem to be exempt, especially when filming an episode of Police Interceptors etc when all of sudden it becomes OK to have a Gopro on a massive suction mount right in the middle of the windscreen with a great white light glaring at you as you drive in a pursuit at 100MPH or more.

I’d just put it anywhere you’re happy to have it where you feel you can see whats going on outside the best. I’d second the option of putting it where the middle of the dash is as the best though on a DAF, maybe use a vent mount on those ones above the stereo.

Muddy K:
Hi All,

I don’t like putting it in the bottom right corner, as it takes up quite a chunk of what I can see. I drive around Manchester City Centre, so need to see as much as possible.

I place the sat nav in the middle, but right at the top underneath the middle sun visor or sometimes right in the top right corner underneath the sun visor with the visor closed and wear sunglasses. I feel this is out of the way and I can see pedestrians across all the bottom of my windscreen.

Is this ok or not?

What size screen is it because looking at pictures there are three sizes 6-10 inch, could try for an air vent holder,that way you would not be using screen space.

lolipop:

Muddy K:
Hi All,

Is this ok or not?

What size screen is it because looking at pictures there are three sizes 6-10 inch, could try for an air vent holder,that way you would not be using screen space.

10’’ WTF :open_mouth:
The navigation system in zb airliner ain’t as big as that ffs…how much guidance do you need? :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

Conor:
Anything on the windscreen that coves the swept area of the wiper blades is illegal and it would fail a MOT test if it was still attached in that place. Those is the rules .

DAF have decided to install a fixed fwd facing camera in that swept area as standard.
I guess all DAFs should be taken off the road? [emoji848]

stu675:

Conor:
Anything on the windscreen that coves the swept area of the wiper blades is illegal and it would fail a MOT test if it was still attached in that place. Those is the rules .

DAF have decided to install a fixed fwd facing camera in that swept area as standard.
I guess all DAFs should be taken off the road? [emoji848]

Conor could have quoted the full Regs verbatim just to keep you happy - but that would have meant several pages of text. What he has posted is a reasonable summary.

But for completeness - you start with the standard vehicle and windscreen, wipers etc, plus all the standard factory kit (yes, including cameras, sensors etc required for lane departure warnings, automatic wipers etc) all of which have undergone shedloads of Type Approval examinations to ensure that there is adequate view of the road in front of the vehicle. Then you look at any damage, modifications, additional widgets, stickers etc, etc - It is these things which are not permitted beyond specified limits within the swept zone of the screen (and the limits vary according to their position within essentially two zones - Zone A, which is a central 350mm band directly in front of the driver and Zone B, which is everything else in the area swept by the wipers).

robroy:

lolipop:

Muddy K:
Hi All,

Is this ok or not?

The navigation system in zb airliner ain’t as big as that ffs…how much guidance do you need? :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

The navigation screen displays in modern airliners are a lot bigger than 10 inches!

Mind you, I used to be tasked with taking new (to us) drivers out for a couple of runs to familiarise them with procedures at delivery points, paperwork etc. One of them arrived and proceeded to stick a full size iPad (I think that’s a 13 inch screen!) smack in the centre of the windscreen. I tactfully explained that this was unacceptable and he took it down…

Roymondo:

robroy:

The navigation screen displays in modern airliners are a lot bigger than 10 inches!

I kinda knew that tbh…I was attempting to be facetious. :neutral_face:

Muddy K:
Hi All,

Is this ok or not?

Mounted right up the top of the screen may give you problems with the ability to lock into the satellites, with high buildings around you won’t help either. Lower down on the dash would be better for satellite lock.

robroy:

Roymondo:

robroy:

I kinda knew that tbh…I was attempting to be facetious. :neutral_face:

I sort of knew that you knew :slight_smile:

Lol yh it’s a big un. I was hoping to mount it on the dashboard so it comes downwards vertically near the vents etc. Kinda like a Tesla screen that would have been ideal. Don’t think it’s possible though. The mount would have to overhang the bubble area a bit I would think.

It is a DAF with a big curve in the middle of the dash, and yes also has a front mounted camera for the lane guidance for the “bzzzzz” (always forget to switch it off before driving through motorway roadworks).

I usually mount it up there, in the blacked out bit in the middle/top of the windscreen and I can see the road nice and clear.

I cannot mount it in the bottom right corner as it just takes away too much vision for me.

Will buy a dash board mount tomorrow from Currys/Halfords and see how that goes.

Muddy K:
Hi All,

Is this ok or not?

Thought I’d give it a go of copying you. Worked pretty well I thought. (Think my eyeline is a bit lower than I held my camera-was a difficult photo into the sun.)
Mostly it’s blocking my view of the front camera/sensor