Sat nav in car chargers

I’m thinking of buying a sat nav; for some reason navman ones don’t come with a home charger. Would I need an adapter to make the in-car charger work in a truck?

cheers

Check before you buy, but most satnavs come with an adapter good for 24v

thanks allikat

Don’t get anything other than a TomTom. Unless you want the BetaMax of SatNavs.

The word from the reviews I get from the people who sell them…and personal experience…
Tomtoms have better software, but go wrong, Garmins are more basic, but very solid. Mine fell from my cab onto tarmac the other week, hardly a scratch on it.

I did some agency driving with a guy who had a navman last week. We were driving round, moving vans and trucks about for a hire company. So a run out together then one of us jumping into another wagon and both back to the office. I was using my TomTom and by the end of the day the other guy said he’d be straight down the shops to get himself one. I got my routes programmed in quicker than him and always beat him back to base, even when I was in a 7.5t with 90kpm limit and he was in a car :exclamation:

I use a Navman ,I contacted their helpline about this .They advise start the engine then plug in charger and unplug before shutting down engine I have had no problems with mine.

Harry Monk:

Have to agree. I’ve been using the TomTom 920T for the last year with all the POI’s fitted and it has been superb.

CBR_SI:
I’m thinking of buying a sat nav; for some reason navman ones don’t come with a home charger. Would I need an adapter to make the in-car charger work in a truck?

cheers

If a sat nav doesnt have a car charger, a chocolate fireguard comes to mind. But if you do want to charge a satnav at home, use the USB lead from the PC. Be aware the batteries do not hold their charge for long so do not rely on charging it at home and using it all day in a lorry.

Also, although most chargers are 12/24 volt, many cigarette lighters are still 12 volt even on a 24 volt system in a truck

Tom Tom Rock, the others ■■■■!

TomTom all the way for me too!!! I’m still using the old 710 which i bought over 3 years ago, and have Never had any problems with it what so ever! It’s got me to various locations throughout Europe No problem.

“The TomTom’s the One”!! :wink: :wink: :smiley:

thedeckking:
I did some agency driving with a guy who had a navman last week. We were driving round, moving vans and trucks about for a hire company. So a run out together then one of us jumping into another wagon and both back to the office. I was using my TomTom and by the end of the day the other guy said he’d be straight down the shops to get himself one. I got my routes programmed in quicker than him and always beat him back to base, even when I was in a 7.5t with 90kpm limit and he was in a car :exclamation:

hi pal it wasnt Britannia by any chance was it ■■

why is buying other than TOMTOM like buying a betamax?

I had a Navman F20 for over 2 years with no hassles whatsoever… Only reason I got rid of it was because I fancied a satnav with euromaps on it and more updated UK maps.

MY sat.nav ii a navman f20 you can charge it from the usb in the radio if you have 1that takes mp3 sticks or whatever they are called.Also nav man publish updates from time to time those also download from the internet.

cheers fellas :slight_smile:

I use a TomTom Go 520 and its great, some of the other drivers rate Garmin highly. TomTom comes as standard with a 12/24v charger. What makes me laugh is the ■■■ lighter in our volvos is 24V but there is a seperate 12v socket that is too small to fit a charger into.

What makes me laugh is the ■■■ lighter in our volvos is 24V but there is a seperate 12v socket that is too small to fit a charger into

thats for the hella plug otherwiseknown as the continental socket. does the same job tho :smiley:

Harry Monk:

Sorry to disagree, but I’ve got a Garmin Nuvi, cost me 100 notes from Amazon and it’s a cracking piece of kit.

Yes It’s basic but the mapping goes further than Tom Tom, Goes right in to eastern Europe