sat nav blunder

hope this link works, its a nightmare i have, i deliver a lot to garden nurseries in artic some of the lanes we go down you think OOHH NO this cant be right. looking at the pictures in the link makes my stomach go over, theres never no one to ask for directions when you want, never a telephone number on the delivery notes. sat nav mmmm

dailymail.co.uk/news/article … -lane.html
john

lucky for him the woman could understand him where he got wedged in lol

and he got fed aswell.but yea i agree phone numbers should be mandatory on delivery notes, i hate delivering somewhere that hasnt got a phone number on the line if i dont know where it is.

I have been using GPS for about five years and the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. GPS takes you geographically the most direct route which sometimes is unsuitable for LGV, but you have to think as well don’t just follow the directions no matter what. The GPS unit should re-program itself every time you decide not to take the instruction until you do find a suitable route…DOH… :unamused:

Don’t know about ‘sat nav blunder’ it should just be renamed ‘blunder’ !! We had these mistakes long before sat navs. And i don’t reckon i’m the only driver to waste an hour faffing about trying to find a way into a place only to eventually find out that it is actually through the 7.5 ton weight limit and just infront of the 10ft bridge. When the people who provide the mapping info team up with google maps and all buisness info then we’ll have a rocket proof solution. Well thats provided we are actually given the correct postcode and address in the first place.

Mike-C:
Don’t know about ‘sat nav blunder’ it should just be renamed ‘blunder’ !! We had these mistakes long before sat navs. And i don’t reckon i’m the only driver to waste an hour faffing about trying to find a way into a place only to eventually find out that it is actually through the 7.5 ton weight limit and just infront of the 10ft bridge. When the people who provide the mapping info team up with google maps and all buisness info then we’ll have a rocket proof solution. Well thats provided we are actually given the correct postcode and address in the first place.

Didn’t something similar happen to you last year Mike :question: :question: :question: :question: :question: :smiley: :sunglasses: :smiley:

Okey-Didley-Dokely:

Mike-C:

Didn’t something similar happen to you last year Mike :question: :question: :question: :question: :question: :smiley: :sunglasses: :smiley:

And lots of times before that. Only difference was once we had no internet so these stories got told in the pub on a Saturday night if i could get a victim to listen !! :smiley:
They’re much better now that we have pictures to go with them, they make us look like complete numpties :smiley:

I may be wrong but i am sure that photo was in the paper last year :question: in one of the red tops :confused: :confused:

all sat nav manufacturers should have to make a truck specific sat nav to help avoid these mistakes plus people need to learn to watch where they’re going and not totlally trust their sat nav

Slightly off topic, but did anyone else used to think that their sat nav would get ■■■■■■ off and tell them to ■■■■ off if they kept ignoring instructions? No? Just me then! :blush:

bugcos:
Slightly off topic, but did anyone else used to think that their sat nav would get ■■■■■■ off and tell them to [zb] off if they kept ignoring instructions? No? Just me then! :blush:

No not just you, I used to programme mine somewhere in the opposite direction just to see if I could ■■■■ it off :smiley: :sunglasses: :smiley:

Am i the only driver that still uses a decent map and a bit of common sense ?
Seems to me that too many drivers cant be arsed to do that nowadays and they are totally reliant on sat nav imo.

A sat nav is a map , a rolling map , I look at a map after the sat nav has planned my route and the map shows me a line to follow with a number on it , a little bit like sat nav that tells me to follow a line with a number on it. If the delivery is down that line , with something like a weight limit or a low bridge , nothing will tell you exept your own eyes , or a kind workmate if its a regular drop you do, or a sensible planner…
I use my google the night before to pin point and grab a phone number the drops I have never been to before, We do a lot of country lanes and the phone number is crucial . I allways call them to ask if there is something I should know about the adress because I am coming down your country lane in an 18 tonne truck. I dont know how you artic boys do it !!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

I have my own sat nav horror storys but they still keep me, and certain villages awake at night so I cant talk about them yet :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Ref the picture in the link, It was a year ago I think and whats the drama of him sleeping in his cab? .
Thats what lorry drivers do dont they? if they are away from home> :smiley:

It was in 2007 if you read the date in the article. I always carry my trucker’s atlas with the low bridges in it and a West Midlands area map and London A-Z but I primarily use sat nav. I just check for low bridges on the route it’s given me, but at only 12ft6in not many trouble me. It’s just common sense really, I wouldn’t try and squeeze down a random little lane like that. Believe me the Navi has tried to send me down a few, I normally find setting it on fastest route tends to produce a lorry friendly route. Although I’m lucky in that I’m on day distribution and doing the same pubs over and over so I know where most of them are anyway. Sat nav tends to be on for the times and in case of a diversion, road closure etc.

blueroom1:
I have my own sat nav horror storys but they still keep me, and certain villages awake at night so I cant talk about them yet :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Come on do tell!!! :smiley:

This is the first one:
Well my first trip out after passing my test was to collect the training companies 18 tonne Mercedes Actros from slough. I was driven down with the MD of J Coates and dropped off at their training centre. I had only been in a lorry 6 times , the 5 training days and my test :open_mouth:

I was nervous as hell but I didnt let it show. I tried to remember the way we were going so I could get back without a problem but the roads were turning into streets with houses and looking very busy and small.

I got the up into the cab and made it look like I knew what I was doing. One problem I had was the gears, I had trained in a 4/4 splitter , this was a 4/4 knock box you had to knock the gear lever, I had read about them in the Truckers guide !!! ( yeah I did buy it before I passed) but I had never used one. I wasn’t doing very well with it but I plugged my sat nav onto my windscreen and tightened my cheeks and set off…

I was very nervous , yesterday I had passed my test and the very next day I was on my own in this massive vehicle , no one but me to rely on , oh and this little tom tom device shouting out directions.
I remember getting to the end of the street and the sat nav saying turn left.
Without even thinking I almost made the turn, and then just in time I saw the railway bridge ahead of me. the smallest bridge I ever saw, I had never took any notice of heights and the test routes don’t take low bridges in So it was a shock. Whoops , I touched the brakes, bit too hard and stopped. I had to reverse in these small streets a bit and make a right. The sat nav decided I should suffer I think and kept asking me to turn around back to the low bridge road . I tried the route blocked feature but It was all happening to fast, I followed the sat nav after it started to route me towards the motorway but I was into the country side now like a wood with low hanging branches banging on the roof of the truck and whipping the sides. I felt such a fool. The sat nav kept saying turn around , turn around, I had no where to go “shut up” shut up" I was shouting at it, the roads were getting smaller and then I saw another bridge on the road it had sent me :imp: I was really bricking it now , my first job with these and I was ■■■■■■ it up !!!.
I could see the Motorway on the left of me on the sat nav screen but I was in the middle of no mans land; I just had to keep on ignoring the sat nav until I found a major road. I had the sweaty crack syndrome I can tell you lol , I made it out , and got back in one piece .Just ,but I do take a lot more care planning routes now and I bought the low bridges poi that night for my tom.
That was my first and even with planning it wont stop happening because after all a sat nav is only a map after all.
I have others including the one with the very angry man: D: D