sat nav advice

just wondering if anyones got any recomendations for sat navs was thinkin about getting a tom tom or a garmin. but im not really sure which would be the best choice

Hi

ive got a tomtom go 720 works a treat and never looses a signal . also there is alot of addons you can get for it including voices and poi’s like low bridges warnings truckstops layby’s narrow roads to much to mention . but you cant really rely on it 100% when your driving a truck . but apart from that it is a good peice of kit

:slight_smile:

tomtom one only about the 120 150 mark

i got a tom tom GO720 trafic.Works well and if you go map share it will update the maps and speed cameras.

I’ve got a TomTom One Europe which has been the best investment I ever made ( apart from the divorce lawyer :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: ) and although I paid £200 I believe they are under £150 now. Very easy to add POIs to and generally reliable etc

tomtom 910, good bit kit, has loads stuff on and can use it as hands free too.

cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOMTOM-GO-910-GPS … dZViewItem

I have the Tom Tom 520, excellent piece of kit and only £179.00 at Tescos

I use a Tomtom Go 910, very good piece of kit.

I’ve heard there’s updated maps coming out soon for the Tomtom but I’ve no idea exactly when.

TomTom 720 here. Apart from the telling you were to go, it has a lot of useful add ons, like a MP3 player, FM transmitter. You still need to engage a couple of brain cells before trusting a route of course.

I tend to use my A-Z maps more these days as they give far more detail of the area surrounding where I want to go, I then look at it on my large scale AA map, then I tell the sat nav the route I want to take.

i use tomtom 720 and i can`t fault it ,
I think there is another thread on this and a link.
Ther e were 720 on there for £175 with a dicount code at halfords !!!

I use a TomTom One XL. It’s a great piece of kit.

As has been mentioned though, they can’t be relied upon 100% when driving a truck…as it will often try to route you down some very narrow roads. It’s best to spend a few minutes preparing the route with a decent map, then tell it where you want to go.

i use a garmin streetpilot c510, they are only £100 delivered off ebay and the place i got mine from on there installed low bridges,etc for free.
Its 24v as well so you dont need a dropper for it in a truck :slight_smile:

amd if you get a tomtom you can use these poi’s for it trucknav.napalmfiles.com/?di … rt_as=desc

pem1:
amd if you get a tomtom you can use these poi’s for it trucknav.napalmfiles.com/?di … rt_as=desc

This link looks to have some interesting info on it, I have an older tom tom go
if I download these files can I then place them in the folder for tom tom and use or are they only aplicable to newer models.
Dont recognise the end code, (ie .txt or .xls ect)

thanks David.

just use the .ov2 and the bitmap to go with it and they should work m8

pem1:

I’ve downloaded the industrial estates file to my pc,how the hell do I transfer it to my TomTom please?I’m a complete idiot when it comes to computers,so in English in words of one syllable :smiley: :smiley:

VDO Dayton are going to release a portable version of their Truck GPS this year.

You input the height, width, weight, etc of your vehicle and it will automatically route around hazards.

I’m hanging on until that is released before buying one.