Santander to Normandy motorbike ride

Info please guys and gals, anyone know which roads are toll roads between Santander and Normandy or a link to a map maybe. Looking at riding east than north across France up to Normandy beaches. Thanks all.

From Santander port take the toll motorway A8 all the way to the French border at Hendaye.
Then it is a toll north of Bayone.Free up to Bordeaux.
Then toll up to Poitiers/Le Mans to Caen.
The motorways are very good with plenty of aire de repos or rest areas for coffee stops and ■■■ breaks.
For a motorbike the price will be very cheap.
Hotels are not expensive.Hotels located on the motorway toll roads.If come off on the free National roads there are numerous hotels and Rouitiers restaurants.If see lots of trucks parked up,the food is good and good price.
Be careful of radar and speed traps.The Gendarmarie have the power to take the driving licence on the road side.
I would bomb up at night.
The landing beach cemetries are very emotional places.Grown men stand there and weep.
Motorcyclists are respected in Spain and France.It sounds a great trip.Have fun.

Thanks for the info but we are trying to avoid the toll roads if poss and being a ex squaddie I like to route plan before we leave.

I’ve ridden across Europe countless times in the past, I’ve never had a destination in mind so have never used a map tbh. I just head south for a bit and then turn left, and do the opposite for the return leg.

Op if you aren’t in any particular hurry or have deadlines to meet why don’t you do what you said in your post? Ride east for a bit, then ride north. True freedom.

Plan is to sort of stick to a plan but maybe drift a little! Not really got a timescale other than get there on Wednesday and sail back on Saturday night. Only need is to see a lot of Normandy and the beaches etc, pay some respects to our fallen heroes and then come home.

I assumed you wanted to use the toll motorways.
But the free nationals are not too bad apart from slow agricultural traffic and tourists.
The French Nationals are full of roundabouts and traffic lights.
If you have time,walk to the rear of Santander along the coast to the beaches.Lots of cafes and bars along the promenade.
Maybe have a look around San Sebastion near the border.
Hendaye is worth a visit.Surfers beach in France.
Come through Irun to get there.
The giant sand dunes at Arachon.Dune de Pyla.
On the coast near Bordeaux.
Not much to see in Bordeaux.
La Rochelle has some naval war history.
Cherbourg and Caen are pleasant to see.Ouisreham is the port for Caen.Pegasus bridge was sat in a haulage yard,with bullet holes.From Ouistreham to Caen,there is a river path to walk along.
The American war cemetries by the landing beaches are full of teen age lads.Some play the last post from a recorded audio house.

Use this,its got the m/bike option.

viamichelin.co.uk/web/Routes … eRoadsheet

Trophyrider,just to warn you the Euro cops only want to see the original documents for the bike,no photocopies.Will you have breakdown assistance to get the bike back to the UK ?
To save hotel money,there are plenty of camping sites if planning to take a tent in the ruck sack.
Good showers,and the weather is warming up now.

Thanks to all, it went very well apart from getting soaked for 2 of the 4 days. Did everything we wanted to but lots of miles. Thanks all.

Back in one piece.No fines and dinner with Mayor.Get in.