Samt gearbox

What is an samt gearbox and how does it work??

Semi automated Gear Box- not automatic- with SAMT you can still as the driver choose when to change the gears , but the clutch operation is out of your hands, unlike a fully automated system where the truck will decide what gear you should be in unless you override it

Why do you want to know? Are you driving a Renault in 1998? :laughing:

Mind over matter control total.

Sorry Geoff :smiley:

SAMT was an Eaton twin-splitter that was electronically activated.

Derf:
SAMT was an Eaton twin-splitter that was electronically activated.

That sounds correct (my memory is shot) but I’m sure there was some Renault involvement with the SAMT thing.

IVECO used the Eaton SAMT box as standard in the 440E52 Eurostar. It was also available in the Eurotech models.

newmercman:
IVECO used the Eaton SAMT box as standard in the 440E52 Eurostar. It was also available in the Eurotech models.

Ahhh! I knew it was a budget manufacturer…

To complicate things further, who remembers the pain in the arse EPS gear boxes and for a Brucie bonus the registration number year they first came into use, and in what truck (make and model)

Rikki-UK:
To complicate things further, who remembers the pain in the arse EPS gear boxes and for a Brucie bonus the registration number year they first came into use, and in what truck (make and model)

and for the pedants amongst you, I am mean the mainstream- to customers not the prototypes… :wink: :wink: :wink: I know the earlier models that had them, but they were never on sale

Rikki-UK:

Electronic Power Shift in the Mercs. Not sure of the year though Rikki :wink:

Rikki-UK:

I guess Merc powerliner G plate.

EPS -odious things.Very easily confused (or was it me that was?) :laughing: :laughing: I think that the Merc SK was the first to have them.No idea as to which year though.

Rikki-UK:

Ohhh, bloody hell! Awful things. I’ll go for 1989. I remember a guy who had 1836 (or whatever) MANUAL on the sunvisor. Another fella had Paddyliner in the same script as Powerliner on the visor, always made me smile.

I had a 2035 on an E plate with early EPS, on that it was a modified ZF Ecosplit and it spent a lot of time in Mercedes being fixed. I think those were the first, we had a 2033 on a D plate which was superceeded by the 2035.

Powerliner 2 was the facelifted SK and came out on the F plate, had one of them too, although mine was on the G. This was fitted with Mercedes’s own G4 gearbox and mine was 100% reliable.

All about the right era, I had a 1635 Merc on a “D” plate with EPS, which I believe was one of the earliest in the UK on sale, However on trials I am led to believe there was a number of badged 1633’s on “C” plates running with EPS

My dad had a 1635 powerliner on irish plates 88wx■■? That had eps which was the older type one with the black and brown check interior which im guessing was the zf type one.

Flying machines those 35 Mercs, I loved mine, the cab was a bit cramped compared to a Volvo or Scania, but other than that they were a cracking lorry.

i had an eaton gearbox on a roadtrain 270bhp just after leyland got bought out by daf, i think it was a 1992 daf 75 or maybe 80 ■■, basically exactly the same as the previous years roadtrain except for the gearbox and some exterior spec changes. oh yeah and we had the luxury of FM Radio on this model !!! still the same crap otherwise.

newmercman:
Flying machines those 35 Mercs, I loved mine, the cab was a bit cramped compared to a Volvo or Scania, but other than that they were a cracking lorry.

Been a paddys motor it was only the drivers seat that got used in the one he had :smiley:

I was tipping south east Austria and reloading north east Italy in mine, one a week, every week, so I know what you’re saying Kev :sunglasses: