Same, just different?

I’m wondering what are the biggest differences between British, American, Continental and other trucks are (Aussie, African, Russian, whatever…)? American trucks are longer and faster, but don’t seem to be quite as powerful, and except for certain specific runs, seem to carry a bit less weight. We do have a few oddball units (things like Michigan 11 axle steel hauling flatbeds), but for the most part the 5-axle, 40 (us) ton conventional with a 53’ trailer is about as common as dirt.

Who has driven in more exotic locales, and what do they drive there? Also, if you’ve driven both here and in Britain, what were the biggest differences you noticed?

Hi Alex,

You might have a better response to your question if you post it in the Euro driving forum or on the main board. As for exotic locations, I think Bob (truckyboy) has pretty much got most of them covered - he’s gone as far overland as you can go !

Cheers,

Craig

Alex,

On my last job in the Uk idrove in all of Britain and Ireland, a great deal of Europe, western Russia (once) and North Africa (once). Mind you the 'once refered to was a 6 week tour of Morocco :laughing:

The trucks in Europe are 99% cabover and thats the only way to go Alex. I wouldn’t wish a US conventional on anybody, I really don’t like them at all. If I really have to make a choice here, then it is the Freightliner Argosy cabover or the Volvo VN770, in Europe, it would be the Renault Magnum followed by a Volvo FH12/16 followed by a Renault Premium, yes I am one fo those weirdos that love Premiums.

I, like Pat, have driven all over the UK and Ireland, plus occasional forays into Europe. As far as the standards of driving, it is FAR superior in Europe than it is here in the US.

As for trucking itself…I don’t think it matters where you are, its the same old crap just a different day, you all know what I mean, but its a way of life and I love the game.

As for driving weird and wonderful trucks, I got back today from helping out out Las Vegas depot and I was driving the Super Tanker, a regular semi trailer with a 4500gallon pup trailer and drawbar on the back, made for an all up weight of 117,000lbs and over 105ft long. But in Nevada, 138,000lb dump trucks with two belly dump trailers are permitted, now those are a sight with their 600hp engines, my truck, a Freightliner Columbia with a 500hp engine was dwarfed in comparison…

Anyway, any more stories…?

Stuart

You mean one of these?

Thats Flying J…!! Yes, thats exactly the same as mine. What a ■■■■■ to back up, if you aren’t exactly straight, it ain’t gonna happen…!!!

Stuart

A bit like trying to back up two 48’s doubled then :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Backing them up :question: :open_mouth: I take my hat off to you gents…

Yeah, that looks interesting but you rarely see a double like that and who the heck wants to even try to back THAT up. Most FJ fuel tankers are your common a garden “articulated” normal tanker config. But don’t they look impressive. And so does Pilot Tankers. One thing with Peterbilts, they are more difficult to back up than say an International. Too much of a blind spot :astonished:

Munchman:
Thats Flying J…!! Yes, thats exactly the same as mine. What a ■■■■■ to back up, if you aren’t exactly straight, it ain’t gonna happen…!!!

Stuart

You generally don’t back up A-train doubles. If you do, you only back them up as far as you need to, and you have to expect that the back trailer will go just about anywhere it pleases. A unit like that doesn’t usually get in situations where it will need to back up-“Flying Hook” tankers only go from the distribution point to the truckstop-nowhere else.

I do all kinds of gas stations in my truck, but like Alex says, we don’t back up unless ABSOLUTELY necessary. The train I drive is legal in Nevada and Utah, and only allowed to go within 30miles of the Arizona border, so I can’t bring one here to Phoenix.

I don’t work for Flying J, thank god, or I’d be broke, as for Pilot, I would have left for back home long time ago working for the $12 an hour they pay.

Our units are fitted with PTO pumps, which we regularly do with trains, and like I say, I will do any station with a train, so long as I can go in one entrance and out the other without backing.

These trucks are extremely common in Nevada, everyone has a train of some kind, whether it be tanker, belly dumpers or triple trailers. Oh, and your right, if you try to back up too far, the pup does go where ever the heck it feels like going, cos once its started to lose its track you can find it up alongside your front trailer.! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Luckily this has never happened…!!!

Have a great weekend everyone

Stuart

Quite a few of those trains out here on the plains states too. Look pretty scary to drive, and here’s me going for a CDL with double/triples on it too…

Alli,
Just wait until you have a JD STS combine and grain cart on your lowloader trailer and then two 30 foot flex heads on the header trailer hooked on behind that,then you’ll know your arse from your elbow :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :open_mouth: :laughing:

Oh good, because right now I can’t find it, and I have a map, torch, and a guide to help me :wink:

Yes, Ally-ND is one of the states that allows triple 28’ A-trains, as well as “mountain doubles”.

According to the CDL manual, ND allows almost anything on the roads…

What roads :question: It has roads :question: I didn’t even think they had invented the engine there yet :laughing:

They just replace the hand-cranked telephones there, don’cha know?

Yeah, we now have a PTO on a model T to crank them :laughing:

PTO on a model T? Gee, my great-grandfather just used a big-*** leather belt off the rear wheel.