Sally Line Ramsgate Ferries

Norman Ingram:
You lads missed out " Woolwich Ferry", never got a cabin on them, Ha Ha Ha , or a meal. Sandman Norman

It used to cost my boss £1 a crossing though. :wink:

You are as bad as the MP’s, but not as dear, and where was your reciept.

Viking:

Norman Ingram:
You lads missed out " Woolwich Ferry", never got a cabin on them, Ha Ha Ha , or a meal. Sandman Norman

It used to cost my boss £1 a crossing though. :wink:

jj72:
never went on sally much back then, but talking of parties on ferries, i was working in sheerness when olau packed in and got tickets for the final crossing… then some unspeakable swine went and got a GV9 just as i was leaving the office so i missed the boat :cry: the booze was basically free and they were shagging in lumps according to my colleague who did manage to go :angry:

I to used the olau line nearly every night was party night,when the bar closed we would go down the crews quaters for free drinks and food.The early boats (olau west) were a bit rocky in bad weather but the newer one,s were ok.At that time i was pulling for Bleckmans doing 3 trips a week to oldenzal with hanging garments.Happy days.

I don’t know how you can go two pages on this subject without mentioning Dominic and his infamous frit butties and warm beer.

We spent hours teaching him English phrases “I’m your man” “you all-right John?” and many others not printable here

Both pictures taken at Dunkerque around 1993

zzarbean:
I don’t know how you can go two pages on this subject without mentioning Dominic and his infamous frit butties and warm beer.

Was he the chap at Dunkerque that had the frit / bar hut by the parking area??

Harry Monk:

Big Leggy:

harry:
Yeah ,people underestimate the amount of sea miles truckers did in the old days . UK to EU , N/S Ireland & Spain ,Italy to Greece , Italy to Sicily , France to Algeria & Maroc , Spain to Maroc .Germany to Denmark , Denmark to Sweden ,Sweden to Finland .

Germany to Denmark ■■ What ferry was that then ■■

Puttgarden- Rodby.

Hi all,there was also a ferry from Yarmouth to Denmark,it stopped running late 80s early 90s.

Vascoingles:
You can also add ferrys like Mukran - Klaipeda, Sweden - Gdynia in Poland there were/are so may that you could spend all night listing them

Anyone remember Stockholm to Turkku,absolute cruise line.

bullitt:

zzarbean:

Was he the chap at Dunkerque that had the frit / bar hut by the parking area??

That’s the chap docker by day barman at night. Got quite busy on a Sunday night.

Yep, I remember him. Always made a point of grabbing some frites and a few beers from him if waiting for the late boat back to Ramsgate.

If I got to Dunkerque on a thursday evening I wouldnt want to ship across until Friday morning on the early ferry,clear customs during the morning and get back to the yard late Friday afternoon, in the pub an hour later!! :wink: :wink:

During the summer months he had a few plastic chairs and tables set up so used to chill out there for the evening, quite pleasent really, eating chips, drinking beer and watching the world go by!! No rush. :smiley: :smiley: :wink:

Wasn’t one of the freight boats from Ostende to Ramsgate called the Baz?
Mostly unaccompanied trailers with room for 16 or so drivers.
I’m sure someone on here will know and maybe have the odd picture or 2.

fodentanker:

It was called the Bazias 1. With room for 12 drivers.
shipphotos.co.uk/pages/bazias1.htm

Viking:

fodentanker:

Thats an ex Dartline Boat isnt it? One of the Dart Boat’s had a really plush drivers lounge, big leather seats, bar, TV, Little counter Beer fridge which you helped yourself too and then squared it up in the morning…

Viking:

fodentanker:

That’s right, thanks for jogging the memory.
There were 2 of them Bazias 1 and 2.
It used to leave late at night and arrive early in the morning. :open_mouth:
You used to feel worse when you got off than when you got on, after waiting half the night in Ostende to load.
Good old days. :laughing:

Vascoingles:
You can also add ferrys like Mukran - Klaipeda, Sweden - Gdynia in Poland there were/are so may that you could spend all night listing them

Not forgetting the Woolwich ferry :wink:

The first ferries I ever went on with a wagon was when I used to deliver to the Isle of Wight :laughing: :laughing:

Was that the Red Funnel/

Norman Ingram:
Was that the Red Funnel/

Your in with a good chance Norman, they were one of the two sailing there. :slight_smile:

Hi Ron, you jogged my memory on that one, it was the first ferry crossing for me as well, can’t remember the line could have been Red Funnel all I know it was from Southampton, and I think into Cowes (it was 1972) and I was taking bulk animal feed to farms. Used Sally line quite a lot in the eighties when doing Greece,never had a problem with the prawns but then while eating in such choice eating establishments along the way in Yugo and Greece not to mention plenty of camion stews I built up a cast iron digestive sytem, not so good now, the wife’s too good a cook so no chance to become immune anymore.
chazzer

Evening all, my modest list for real" luxury", was it the Lion, and the Leopard, Southampton, Le Havre, always felt when I arrived that I had had no rest, cannot understand why! Trucklines “rock and rollers” (did they have any keel)? and for the “ultimate” in customer care, and arguably the most expensive short sea crossing in the world, The Isle of Man Steam Packet, (now lets think, which Bank owns us today)? And lastly, many a bumpy but happy trip on Harold Montgomerys Norse Irish out of sunny, and happy Liverpool.

Went fom Portsmouth to Fishbourrne Isle of Wight with my van last year on Wightlink,also lorries onboard,quite a quick crossing 35 minutes.