Salary question

A friend of mine has a job on tankers delivering oxygen and liquid nitrogen, and tells me he’s on 70k a year.

Is that likely to be accurate ? Wondering whether I need to be getting into that! Anyone on here delivering oxygen / liquid nitrogen that can shed some light on whether he’s having me on?

I would say he is probably talking out of his backside given Indeed adverts suggest ADR jobs pay in the region of 35 to 40k maybe.

I very much doubt anyone is earning around 28 quid an hour for ADR for a basic week of 50 hours. Even with overtime rates I still can’t see how 72k a year would be achievable tbh.

There may well be some companies doing ADR that do pay very good rates but would be very few and far between I would say.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

simcor:
I would say he is probably talking out of his backside

I’d tend to agree. So many drivers I meet just talk garbage, and anyone who brags about how much they’re on is, in my eyes, automatically suspect.

I’d expect the highest salaries to be paid by the big names such a BOC, but everything I’ve ever heard about them suggests that jobs with them are rarely advertised, it tends to be a case of “dead mens shoes” or you need someone to vouch for you to even get a foot in the door, so it’s not something you could just “choose” to do.

Thanks for the replies thought it might be too good to be true & sounds like it is!

That won’t be basic pay, but entirely possible if he’s getting overtime or extra days in (even more possible if he’s on nights), he might be on 4 on 4 off and getting in 2 extra days OT every week.

Given the product chances are its an own account operation, there’s some seriously good packages out there still in that sector, also possible your friend is on an old contract which will never be offered again possibly including a final salary pension scheme to boot.
Could you get on it? maybe maybe not, dead mans shoes etc, you wouldn’t get offered my shift pattern where i work any more and it’s more than likely that will be the case where your friend works.
I don’t discuss my own salary, but it would be quite possible to attain just under that top line where i work too, i don’t disbelieve him.

PS, it goes without saying the job has a decent union even if your friend isn’t a member… :bulb:…odd how unionised workplaces have class leading terms :sunglasses:

Flogas adverts are on Indeed and on their own site. Kettering based 40 to 60 k just as an idea. I expect that is class 1 and not class 2 doing residential deliveries. Depends on the o/p and the area . Agencies regularly advertise for Fawley for example.
Get your foot in the door and get some experience and contacts. It’s a small pond with still some very good paying jobs - In Europe especially.
Presuming that the o/p has the correct qualifications, firms will always train up good people and nobody will be sent out without correct training.
Edit to add. I see that Reynolds are advertising for Northampton and Avonmouth 46 790 £ basic on LNG.

OwenMoney:
Flogas adverts are on Indeed and on their own site. Kettering based 40 to 60 k just as an idea. I expect that is class 1 and not class 2 doing residential deliveries. Depends on the o/p and the area . Agencies regularly advertise for Fawley for example.
Get your foot in the door and get some experience and contacts. It’s a small pond with still some very good paying jobs - In Europe especially.
Presuming that the o/p has the correct qualifications, firms will always train up good people and nobody will be sent out without correct training.
Edit to add. I see that Reynolds are advertising for Northampton and Avonmouth 46 790 £ basic on LNG.

Very good basic, IMHO.
They will be able to attract a lot of good applicants I would think.

Hazardous and cryogenic tanks need training, and someone who doesnt "wing it". Theyll be looking for someone with some solid truck driving, and work history, I would think.
If I was looking I`d be tempted by them…they may not be equally tempted by me though.