Salary negotiable and newly qualified

I hate it when jobs list the salary as “salary negotiable” because I never know how much I’m worth, or how much the job is willing to pay. I could ask for an hourly rate and it be a few quid under what they were willing to pay, or it could be a few quid over what they’re willing to pay and think I’m being greedy.

So as a newly qualified class 2 drivers, what do you think is an acceptable hourly rate to ask for / apply for? £12 an hour seems about right but I never know with these things.

Wages vary a huge amount by area, so it helps to include that

Brakes pay a pretty decent hourly rate and accept new passes from memory but you will really work for your money, doing multidrop to corner shops etc.

If you consider a smaller company, may pay less but the work might be less labour intensive.

I would probably aim to shoot for £11 an hour PAYE as a new start and see what is available from there. Nights should pay more and days should be around £10-£12 for a new start I would expect - Depending on how labour intensive the loading/unloading is.

First job is usually a stepping stone for experience before moving on to something better :slight_smile:

I hate it when agencies ring you up offering work and then ask you what salary you want. I mean come on you just rung me how am I supposed to have had a chance to research it.

If I were you I would look at comparable jobs in your area see if there are any agency’s offering the job and what their paye rate is. However I have a feeling you will probably come out on the 10-12 pound mark.

Well the jobs locally in London are all listing £12-15 phr, then you see the small print Umbrella rate lol.

Driving won’t be my only job, so I am having issues getting agencies to take me on at the moment as I’m not at their beck and call every day.

As already mentioned, the area you are located in plays a very big part in the wage you can expect to achieve.

I have been driving class two for 3 years now and I’ve never been on £12 per hour.

Best I’ve been able to do was £11 per hour and that was for night shift.

Realistically i think as a new driver, depending on the region you live in, you could probably expect £10 or £10,50 or £11 per hour.

Caerleon:
Well the jobs locally in London are all listing £12-15 phr, then you see the small print Umbrella rate lol.

Driving won’t be my only job, so I am having issues getting agencies to take me on at the moment as I’m not at their beck and call every day.

I assume you are biased in London. Do the agencies mention paye welcome? I have found with agencies in Maidstone/Medway that if the advert says 12-14 the paye rate is the lower one. I haven’t really looked into London as I am a new pass and only driven a car 3 or 4 times in London at night never mind a rigid in the day time.

obviously if the jobs are shift related its harder to work out as there maybe a higher rate for night work than days

hope this helps
coop

I just work for one agency doing class 1 work and my rate is generally £10-£13/hr around the central belt of scotland, I have been offered some class 2 work for around the same.

I wouldn’t go any less than £10/hr, i will never understand the people that do class 1/2 work for £8-9/hr. You’d be better off stacking shelves in asda (other supermarkets are available) at that rate.

In most cases it doesn’t actually mean the salary is negotiable. You’re not going for the Chairman of ICI or similar.

It means they either pay X but its so crap they don’t want to display it. Or new drivers get X and slightly more experienced drivers get a little more (very slightly more). I suspect the former is more likely.

Oh if its agency, it means X for PAYE and another quid for LTD as its much cheaper for them.

As for numbers class 2 £9-10, class 1 £10-12, nights £11-13. Some get more but realistically even around East Midlands for general haulage thats about normal.