Sainsburys now paying £9.20 an hour

So I came across an article saying how sainsburys are “investing” in their colleagues and will pay them a minimum of £9.20 an hour.

Now I’m sure some of you are aware, but particularly here in West Yorkshire and the North East some class 2 and even class 1 jobs ( yes ramage transport) pay their drivers effectively minimum wage or a few pence above it.

What has happened when 3.5 tonne van drivers and now store assistant are paid more than HGV drivers. I wonder if wages will increase after brexit when all the cheap labour goes (hopefully)

I’m currently a class 2 driver doing my class 1 soon… But at this rate should I apply to work at sainsburys instead?

aol.co.uk/money/2018/03/06/ … 0-an-hour/

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

No paid breaks, premiums reduced, bonus scrapped and that pay is frozen until 2020. By the time the “savings” in breaks and bonuses are factored in they are not giving much of a raise.

You will struggle to get full time as they like part time and then give overtime as required. It will be much like the jcb thread. A good rate but not enough hours for most

4yorks:
So I came across an article saying how sainsburys are “investing” in their colleagues and will pay them a minimum of £9.20 an hour.

Now I’m sure some of you are aware, but particularly here in West Yorkshire and the North East some class 2 and even class 1 jobs ( yes ramage transport) pay their drivers effectively minimum wage or a few pence above it.

What has happened when 3.5 tonne van drivers and now store assistant are paid more than HGV drivers. I wonder if wages will increase after brexit when all the cheap labour goes (hopefully)

I’m currently a class 2 driver doing my class 1 soon… But at this rate should I apply to work at sainsburys instead?

But most shelf stackers ,van drivers work just 37 hours per week and nobody give more if they want work.So 40 hours for 9.20=380 quid .Minus tax and in bank account will be just 310 qiud.What you chouce work for shelf stackers with just 30 min break and all day with CCTV or drive truck for 60 hours per week and taked home 500 .And in this 60 hours we about 20 hours simply rest or sleep when someboly load us.

In most day van drivers job more hard.Small truck,windows,small mirror,plenty drop,different customer,old not happy customer and much more hassle.

4yorks:
I wonder if wages will increase after brexit when all the cheap labour goes (hopefully)

Im hoping for a win on the lottery and more sunshine. I reckon weve about the same chance of our hopes being fulfilled mate!
:smiley:

Andrejs:

4yorks:

But most shelf stackers ,van drivers work just 37 hours per week and nobody give more if they want work.So 40 hours for 9.20=380 quid .Minus tax and in bank account will be just 310 qiud.What you chouce work for shelf stackers with just 30 min break and all day with CCTV or drive truck for 60 hours per week and taked home 500 .

Interesting point.

I currently work 37 hours a week with NO O/T. I do miss earning a bit extra for xmas and holidays etc. But 60 hours for £500 NO THANKS.

Andrejs:
In most day van drivers job more hard.Small truck,windows,small mirror,plenty drop,different customer,old not happy customer and much more hassle.

You’ve just explained meals on wheels :smiley: :smiley: I’ll let you Google translate it Andrejs :grimacing: But the Brits will get it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

pierrot 14:

Andrejs:

You’ve just explained meals on wheels :smiley: :smiley: I’ll let you Google translate it Andrejs :grimacing: But the Brits will get it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

More simple .I don t know any drivers who jump from class 1 driving job to van driving job and happy to work.But i i know some ex planners and ex van drivers who jump to class 1 job and absolutely happy.

4yorks:

When did you work for ramage? Only I worked there over three years ago and we were on £9ph then. Not as much as some of the, alleged, fortunes some on here get but quite a bit above the minimum wage.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the court cases involving ASDA and Tesco?
Where they’re claiming ■■■ discrimination because warehouse staff generally earn more than store workers. However the truth is at least with ASDA that the warehouse staff have a completely different pay bargining structure with involves Union led collective bargaining than the store staff who just get what the top management think they can get away paying with from the Wallmart pay pot.

muckles:
I wonder if this has anything to do with the court cases involving ASDA and Tesco?
Where they’re claiming ■■■ discrimination because warehouse staff generally earn more than store workers. However the truth is at least with ASDA that the warehouse staff have a completely different pay bargining structure with involves Union led collective bargaining than the store staff who just get what the top management think they can get away paying with from the Wallmart pay pot.

They are buying out premiums and paid breaks as part of the offer.

Personally I think it is either getting the company ready to sell by reducing costs where they can (the management restructure) and fixing what they can’t.

Or in 2020 they will only be just above minimum wage as they are now but no longer paying out premiums and breaks leaving a gain.

As I said above take out the loss of paid breaks, bonus and premiums and its not actually much of a gain at the end of the year

Andrejs:
But most shelf stackers ,van drivers work just 37 hours per week and nobody give more if they want work.

‘Just’ 37 hours per week.

I work 35 hours per week and any extra is taken as time in lieu, which comes in very handy during the summer when I can engineer myself an additional paid week off.

I feel sorry for hose lads that are stuck in the 70+ hours per week hell just to pay the bills.

Andrejs:
More simple .I don t know any drivers who jump from class 1 driving job to van driving job and happy to work.But I know some ex planners and ex van drivers who jump to class 1 job and absolutely happy.

That, even allowing for Andrejs’ slightly fractured English, is a very valid point. Though we do have to allow for the fact that some drivers (and class 1 men seem to be the worst) would be unhappy about having nothing to be unhappy about.

Simply business changes or something.Now people can go to Cambridge,oxford colleges and take 5 years education but after will work same 9-10 pound at least first 5-10 years.Welders,some plumbers as well work form 9-10 pound.I can t see any industrial job where for unskilled,medium skilled job company pay more that 12 p/h in day shift.

So basically we are stopping paying your breaks,stopping your spring bonus but giving you a rise of over a quid an hour, but some may be adversely effected. So even in there own words it isn`t a pay rise at all.

dowahdiddyman:
So basically we are stopping paying your breaks,stopping your spring bonus but giving you a rise of over a quid an hour, but some may be adversely effected. So even in there own words it isn`t a pay rise at all.

By the time you factor in loss of breaks and bonuses the rise is negligible, especially as its fixed until 2020.

Those adversely effected are the ones who have worked there for years on old style contracts with higher premiums than the current contract

kcrussell25:
No paid breaks, premiums reduced, bonus scrapped and that pay is frozen until 2020. By the time the “savings” in breaks and bonuses are factored in they are not giving much of a raise.

You will struggle to get full time as they like part time and then give overtime as required. It will be much like the jcb thread. A good rate but not enough hours for most

A good rate?

A GOOD RATE■■?

Wow. Next thing you’ll be saying that it’s acceptable because ‘Well, management pay for the vaseline!’

:imp: :imp: :imp:

Win-Stone:

kcrussell25:

A good rate?

A GOOD RATE■■?

Wow. Next thing you’ll be saying that it’s acceptable because ‘Well, management pay for the vaseline!’

:imp: :imp: :imp:

Given its currently less than £8 it is, on paper.

Please remember we are talking a shop job. No skills, licences or experience needed.

This is no dig at anyone but while many on here say how driving pay has been cut across the last decade they don’t seem to realize it has happened in many other industries as well.

Unless you have a skill or trade it is usually minimum wage now (or under depending how much work you do at home) and likely to be part time hours as well

Edit: Remember this is in the context of people complaining that driving a truck at £8 per hour or less

Win-Stone:
A good rate?

A GOOD RATE■■?

So for a simple job that entails picking stuff up off a tray and putting it onto a shelf, what do you think the rate should be? Not to knock those that do it, but it’s menial work that is only ever going to attract a low wage. It requires no qualifications and minimal training. A bit like lorry driving, really.

Geez my wife gets paid more working night shift at Asda.
As above, yes they have changed contract base and there is no longer paid breaks. Those who chose not to move over are now on minimum wage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk