Sainsbury's new job

Start new job on sainsbury;s contract in Sherburn in Elmet on monday.I did a timed run in my car the other day and it;s a 120 mile round trip, 60 mile each way.I used to be on the woolly’s contract but was made redundant just before christmas and then offerd this at last minute and decided to
go for it.It;s a big difference from my 7 mile trip from Bury to Rochdale.Apparantly it;s an induction day on monday but not to sure what;s happens after that…Does anybody work on this contract or no anyone who has worked there.Iused to make good money at woolly;s working nights and used to get the hours in,is it the same there.I need to earn as much as i can from this contract when you consider the amount of fuel i’ll put in a week.Some off you guys may think i’ts to far to go,but for every day that i;m there it;s another day through this recession.

Is this agency or full time ?

Not worked out there but worked for Sainsburys up here, i’d say one of the better supermarkets to work for. New kit, well looked after generally.

Only a few poss problems even with full timers they seem to have flexable starts, the way they plan the runs. Full timers i see up here anyways on 10 or 12 hour shifts on different weeks. But they might be asking you to come in at a certain time which could be a pain with the amount of traveling your doing if say you finish at 0100 and are asked back in for 1000, it gives you very little time for sleep and doing anything else.

If its agency your laughing can max out your hours generally, done it before three 15 hour shifts, two 13 hour shifts a week, going nowhere near your fortnightly driving time limits because doing deliveries and loads of POA to keep your average working hours down.

Only other thing seem to be limiting their vehicles to 80kmph now, which is a pain if your on the motorway quiet a bit.

but again thats up here, no idea what your depot will be like, so don’t know if any help or not.

Thanks for post kenny.It is full time with wincanton as i was with win on the woolly;s contract and is 12 weeks probation period first.Ihave read on other posts that it tends to be short shifts which wont suit as i need to make a decent wage to make it work,but here;s hopeing…

used to do sainsburys down here
They use that track thing in the cab
Push button a when leaving depot button O when you arrive at depot etc then put your security code in the computer at the store saying you agree with everything.
Not a bad job I just put the thing in the cradle in the cab and left it alone I drive the truck not the aditional equipment they wanna put in it. To be honest they never really worried about it cause i would turn the thing off or log off and couldnt log back on just played dumb and thick ( yeah i know quite easy for me to do that :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: ) loads of hours if you wanted them see how it goes might be worth getting a cheep camper and staying there a few days at a time

PM Bones as he works there.It’s the old Somerfield depot,which I used to work at,on Bishopdyke Road,and there are quite a few ex S/F guys work there,including Bones old man,who I know.

All I can say is,good luck,your going to need it.

Ken.

Iused to do a 100 mile round trip when i was at halfords,
Even having nights out and only doing the trip 2-3 times a week,it was a killer,thats why i left in the end.

Ihope it goes well for you.

Tonyb

Quinny:
PM Bones as he works there.
Ken.

Who…Me?? :wink:

Bones:

Quinny:
Ken.

■■■■. And I thought he worked at Arla, Leeds. :blush: :blush:

:slight_smile:

Krankee:

Bones:

Quinny:
Ken.

He did :laughing:

You are obviously willing to put yourself out to keep working. I admire that, hope it works out for you. Good Luck.

Krankee:

I never saw him when I was in there. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ken.

thats some distance to travel home after a days work, hope it works out well.

Someone I used to work with invested in a motorhome, then if he had to go a distance to work he took his motor home and slept in that for the week going home at weekends.

Is that 120 miles daily? If so thats going to be a fair whack of diesel/petrol? I used to do 60miles daily over 2 years and when I calculated how much I had paid out on fuel I was :open_mouth: … But in these times you’ve got to decide wether or not you wish to sit at home bored out your head doing nothing or giving somethign ago until somethign better comes up.

Okey-Didley-Dokely:
Someone I used to work with invested in a motorhome, then if he had to go a distance to work he took his motor home and slept in that for the week going home at weekends.

■■■■ good idea IMO.

I got given a caravan to use when I’m racing and I’m more than happy to take it anywhere the work is.
Play your cards right and you can park it in their yard, use their electric, showers and toilets, and if you’re really cheeky you can even get paid for being an unofficial night watchman. :laughing:
Needs must guys, if you can’t beat 'em join 'em.

the maoster:

Okey-Didley-Dokely:

■■■■ good idea IMO.

I got given a caravan to use when I’m racing and I’m more than happy to take it anywhere the work is.
Play your cards right and you can park it in their yard, use their electric, showers and toilets, and if you’re really cheeky you can even get paid for being an unofficial night watchman. :laughing:

It is not an ideal solution and I would certainly favour that over travelling 120 miles a day, and then driving a truck all day.

An old mate did the night watchman thing donkeys years ago. He used to have an old railway hut & take his air rifle and shoot stoggies and rats in the sheds. He ended up being made Managing Director of the company :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:

the maoster:

Okey-Didley-Dokely:

■■■■ good idea IMO.

It is not an ideal solution and I would certainly favour that over travelling 120 miles a day, and then driving a truck all day.

An old mate did the night watchman thing donkeys years ago. He used to have an old railway hut & take his air rifle and shoot stoggies and rats in the sheds. He ended up being made Managing Director of the company :stuck_out_tongue:

There ya go WN. Verily we live in the land of opportunity. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

It;s 600 mile a week,and i was late on my first day.It took me 2 hours20 mins from bury to sherburn on monday and 2 hours on wednesday but i am determined to make this work.It really is a pain in the [zb] getting there and back but i also see it
as a challenge.There are lots of different factors involved here,the job,the money,the people,and all these things seem to be ok up to now,although i have only been there for one week.

Certainly admire you for doing this cant fault your work ethic, but I would be tempted to stop in digs or something for the week, Im the same as you though mate every day you work is another day through the recession :smiley:

I did a timed run in my car the other day and it;s a 120 mile round trip, 60 mile each way.

Your choice m8,not for anyone to pass comment.your paying for the fuel.good luck :wink:

It is full time with wincanton

Aren’t Wincanton just about to be taken over :question: Can’t remember who by, but will find out tomorrow for sure. :unamused: