Sainsbury doing a tesco

as from the end of the month sainsbury will now be doing the same six hour rule for payment as tesco regarding agency drivers. A very unfair and unjust system just because you decide to make a career choice of choosing when you want to do your start times rather than being tied down. It will be interesting to see how many drivers will now refuse to work at sainsburys now they are not going to get a guaranteed 8hrs. I have a few friends who refuse to go to tesco for this reason and i welcome your thoughts on this please!!! :confused:

crank case:
It will be interesting to see how many drivers will now refuse to work at sainsburys now they are not going to get a guaranteed 8hrs. I have a few friends who refuse to go to tesco for this reason and i welcome your thoughts on this please!!! :confused:

i used to be an agency driver at asda for 3 years butwe were always on a guarantee of 8 hrs otherwise i would have gone in. when i was on the agency for stobarts we was guaranteed 12 hrs and £18 for sunday and £14 for sat, then stobarts brought in their own agency rates at about £11 for sunday or something stupid and that was i just refused to go back. agency has had its day now, there are far to many run by fellas in flash suits and a big knotted tie acting and walking all flash with no idea of the haulage industry also slashing rates on the agency next door.

my agency has been doing guaranteed 6 for sainsburys for a few months.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm :unamused:

i appreciate some guys want to work as and when and want the flexibility of agency,wish i was in the same position… but some agency guys have bought this on theirselves by bragging ect in the canteens transport offices ect… i worked at stobs for a while in the office and the amount of agency guys who would walk in and openly brag they were offered this and that and they told them to bollox as they will never work for less then ££££££££££££ p/h and only work 4 hrs or whatever for 12 hrs pay take home half a million a week.
so the decent good agency guys are going to loose out

im garunteed 8 hrs at tesco still, folk who go in to tesco from other agenciesonly get 6hrs, but look at it this way its 2 hours less sitting in the office before you can go home if they dont give you a run.

crank case:
‘…i welcome your thoughts on this please…’

Better roads can mean quicker turn-round shifts for us trolley dudes, but it can be amazing how long it can take by paying closer attention during a pre-use check; observing & practising closer adherance to the road speed laws & doing a thorough clean/tidy-up in the cab after spending six hours in the place :wink:

gogzy:
im garunteed 8 hrs at tesco still, folk who go in to tesco from other agenciesonly get 6hrs, but look at it this way its 2 hours less sitting in the office before you can go home if they dont give you a run.

6 hour shifts don’t pay the bills

crank case:
as from the end of the month sainsbury will now be doing the same six hour rule for payment as tesco regarding agency drivers. A very unfair and unjust system just because you decide to make a career choice of choosing when you want to do your start times rather than being tied down. It will be interesting to see how many drivers will now refuse to work at sainsburys now they are not going to get a guaranteed 8hrs. I have a few friends who refuse to go to tesco for this reason and i welcome your thoughts on this please!!! :confused:

I no longer do the early shifts for Tesco cos you don’t get the hours there so you’re quite likely to end up with a 6 hour shift and my bloke understands that. On Monday he wanted me to do a 0430 start for them and he was willing to guarantee me 8 out of his pocket but he’d forgotten I couldn’t do the Monday. It’s not like they’re paying top dollar these days. Without exaggeration, if I was to accept 6 hour shifts I really would be as well off getting a shelf stacking job. I’m not giving my licence away to anybody. If you don’t make it worth my while I’ll do something else!

Cue the fannies happy to drive a big 'un for £6 ph “It’s better than nowt!” ■■■■■!

44 Tonne Ton:

But they pay the bills better than sitting at home waiting for the phone which doesn’t ring…

I think I’d rather have 6hrs work than none. In the current climate, you can’t afford to be choosy and those who will be happy to take the 6hrs now will be those offered work first later on which means for those that don’t, they’ll spend even longer not earning.

44 Tonne Ton:
I’m not giving my licence away to anybody. If you don’t make it worth my while I’ll do something else!

Somehow I doubt you’ll tell us about the days when you’re offered g’teed 6 hrs, turn it down and then earn nowt that day…

44 Tonne Ton:

gogzy:

6 hours is better than 0 hours, especially if u just sit in the transport office and dont get a run as you then havnt used a day on ur tacho :smiley:

i dont do the deliveries right now with tesco, all to do with this stupid assessment pants so i shunt for them, ive got work from may anyways so im not fussed how much i work.

iam garunteed 10 hours aday any day of the week at £10ph weekdays £12ph sat and sundays at £13.50ph overtime is payed after 10hrs at time and a half except weekends where it stays at the hourly rate
extra £1 ph payed between the hours of 1900hrs and 0400hrs
guaranteed £80 per day over 5days for days not worked
holidays payed at £100 perday 20days holiday and 8days bank holidays
the agency i work for his small but you are treated very very well i have refused premanent employment at the end of the tax yr i will have grossed nearly 35k my boss and close personal friend his brian davies ralphys son maggot if you read this post brian says hello

agency drivers should get paid for the work they do, not get paid for the hours they don’t work.
why do these supermarket chains use agency workers in the first place?
they don’t care about the vehicles because they probably won’t drive it again. but a directly employed driver, who works in the same truck will be more caring.

i’ve lost count of the amount of times i’ve heard “i don’t give a [zb], i’m on agency” or “i don’t care i’m paid by the hour”.

when will employers learn?

limeyphil:
agency drivers should get paid for the work they do, not get paid for the hours they don’t work.
they don’t care about the vehicles because they probably won’t drive it again. but a directly employed driver, who works in the same truck will be more caring.

i’ve lost count of the amount of times i’ve heard “i don’t give a [zb], i’m on agency” or “i don’t care i’m paid by the hour”.

i used the “im in no rush” excuse alot because im very rarely in a rush with supermarket work and its not like its needed at that exact time is it.

To cover the peaks. No day is the same. You need more drivers on a Friday/Saturday than a Sunday/Monday/Tuesday. You also have the peak trading periods of Easter, Christmas etc to content with.

Agency drivers are the layer of protection that may well stop redundancies for the permanent employed drivers.

Happy Keith:

crank case:
‘…i welcome your thoughts on this please…’

Better roads can mean quicker turn-round shifts for us trolley dudes, but it can be amazing how long it can take by paying closer attention during a pre-use check; observing & practising closer adherance to the road speed laws & doing a thorough clean/tidy-up in the cab after spending six hours in the place :wink:

Which most supermarkets expect a driver to do anyway. None of the supermarkets encourages any of the drivers to break the law. Any actions above what you already mentioned and should be good practise coud well be seen as dragging the job out with all the consequences that may involve :wink:

All those who say “6 hours is better than nothing” are missing the point. I could go on the dole and get the same money as 6 hours driving a truck, I cannot live on 6 hours work a day, pay my bills, eat, drive to work. these are mega rich companies who are squeezing the life blood from hard working ordinary people, they Know that there will always be someone willing to work for peanuts, thats how they get away with it. We have a law for minimum wage, maybe it needs to be amended somehow to set a minimum contracted hours law.
If these transport operations became more efficient, and utilised thier staff and resources better, there would be no need to a) have people standing around for hours waiting for work, b) employ people for less than 8 hours a day c) not rely on agency drivers to get them out the proverbial!
If there is any chance that I will be working less than 8 hours, I make sure either, I will get 8 hours pay, or I make it last 8 hours. I must admit it is very rare for me to be given less that 8 hours shift, so when it happens, it’s a bonus!
I

Conor:

44 Tonne Ton:
I’m not giving my licence away to anybody. If you don’t make it worth my while I’ll do something else!

Somehow I doubt you’ll tell us about the days when you’re offered g’teed 6 hrs, turn it down and then earn nowt that day…

I have done that a couple of times [zb] Like I said earlier if it came down to being offered 6 hour shifts they’re not worth doing when a shift at the supermarket within walking distance would actually pay more! And I personally go to work to earn money not for the love of it. And again my bloke has offered to guarantee 8 hours which suggests they struggle to fill those slots!

limeyphil:

I’ll take a stab at that one. Could it be…

because it suits them■■?