Safety with Lorries

I was thinking about this last night.

I was watching a you tube video where they did a run with a loads of cycles in the memory of a French female who got killed by a lorry. One poster commented saying that lorries need to be fitted with sensors to alert a driver of a cyclist near by,

My opinion on it is a NO. To much is going on already around you with speed cameras, red light cameras, bus lanes, cyclists who cannot ride, Boris bikers who think the road is a pavement and go head to head with drivers. If they fit this kind of stuff I think it will only distract the driver

That’s my opinion

It’s very simple. Stay away from things that will kill you. These stickers I see everywhere saying “do not walk close to this vehicle at any time” are just a sop to TfL or whoever insists on them being applied.

There are much bigger and more wider-ranging issues here. They have to do with background, class, culture, sense of self worth, attitude to other road users and other people in general, environment etc etc.

One day I’m going to start a mega-thread about them and get peoples views on all the things nobody wants to mention. After all, we want real road safety, don’t we?

Scanner:
It’s very simple. Stay away from things that will kill you.

Whilst i agree with your post, that particularly pertinent quote should have an addendum.

‘‘Things like lorries that can kill should be driven/controlled with pride and care by competent people of the right mindset’’.

Those in charge of things that can kill have to take responsibility to take all necessary action to make sure their charge doesn’t kill.
Those not up to the task shouldn’t be in charge of such things.

Thats not to take away from all people the responsibility to keep themselves out of harms way, its in addition.

the best you can do is a blipper on the indicator… but not much else really. :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face:

Absolutely agree with all of that, (Juddian) it’s just that the other aspects I mentioned never seem to get discussed, and I feel they are particularly pertinent.

Don’t have time right now, but want to return to it in future.

The more mirrors/cameras/sensors they put on lorries, then the less the public thinks they have to do to protect them selves.

…because they will think “There’s no way he doesn’t know I’m beside/behind him with all the stuff these things have got”.

The world is overpopulated already. Cyclists getting flattened by trucks will help ease this issue. Not seeing the problem myself.

In case that went over people’s heads, if cyclists are too thick to realise that being next to moving trucks will likely end up killing them then they deserve whatever happens, quite simply. Darwin’s Law/natural selection etc.

Rob K:
The world is overpopulated already. Cyclists getting flattened by trucks will help ease this issue. Not seeing the problem myself.

In case that went over people’s heads, if cyclists are too thick to realise that being next to moving trucks will likely end up killing them then they deserve whatever happens, quite simply. Darwin’s Law/natural selection etc.

Can’t believe I’m actually going to agree with robk for once !! Lol.

Cyclists are just a menace to society, the government should run an ad campaign pointing out to cyclists that when in built up areas, heavy traffic, lights, roundabouts etc etc a Truck Driver has maybe a 70% chance they can’t see you !! The safety oweness should be put on the cyclist & law to stipulate that 'you, the cyclist can see all of the LGV, so stay stationary out the way until your sure what direction the LGV is going. Any resulting accident is 100% the cyclists fault & will be arrested for ‘cycling without due care & attention’ or dead, one or the other !!

DON’T GO UP THE BLIND SIDE, IT’S AN EASY PLACE TO DIE.

With a suitably graphic picture.

I would like to know what the responsibility figures are for cyclists V lorries - who was to blame
Is it cyclists getting too near the trucks or the trucks getting too near the cyclists … someone has to be there first

ROG:
I would like to know what the responsibility figures are for cyclists V lorries - who was to blame
Is it cyclists getting too near the trucks or the trucks getting too near the cyclists … someone has to be there first

There can’t be any real figures on this Rog IMO, every single accident has its own peculiar set of circumstances personalities and competence of all involved.

Just because a cyclist hasn’t a clue and puts themselves in the danger spot after the truck, even if they do their best to hide in the so called blind spot and do the most stupid of things, does not absolve a professional driver from keeping constantly vigilant for them and taking appropriate action as necessary, and that includes giving them an almightly blast on the horn to wake the buggers up as well.

A nice glorified ad would do to show the muppets what will happen if they come down the inside of us

mickyblue:
A nice glorified ad would do to show the muppets what will happen if they come down the inside of us

Like you used to get when they were warning people against playing on building sites and the like.

They stick them on ■■■ packets, which is nice to see after having a bacon sandwich :blush: :blush:

You can stick loads of things on lorries but it’s down to the driver still!

Just had an interesting conversation with a traffic policeman, in 23 years he’s been to 6 of these “types” of accidents and all with cars. They have all been when a car goes past then turns left without making sure it’s clear and he can’t remember of ever hearing of one from anywhere from stationary with a car and bike at a set of lights.

Now, is that because a car pulls off quicker or do you think bikers just expect to be cut up by cars so hang back?

Is it just a London problem?

I asked him who’s fault it is when these things happen when a lorry or van is involved and his reply was depends on the circumstances!!! Didn’t expect anything else to be honest.

Ops hadn’t finished.

So following on from that I asked…

If you approach a left turn and taking up the middle of the road and indicating correctly and a car driver comes up the inside of the trailer and gets squashed it’s his fault. If a cyclist or motor bike does it depends on circumstances. Go figure!