Safety trainers & ankle support

I’ve got a pair of big clodhopper safety boots which are great for certain contracts I limp on (like site work), but they are not really ideal for driving in. So I was thinking of getting myself a pair of safety slippers/trainers for things like trunking work where you hardly get out of the cab, and when you do it’s generally asphalt underfoot. But before I do, I just wanted to check whether some places stipulate that safety footwear has to have ankle support, and be more of a boot than just a trainer.

This may be a stupid question, but when it comes to H&S rules in some places, nothing would surprise me! :laughing:

Any suggestions on lightweight trainers are also welcome…

I was at a security hut a few weeks back and it was a right wee hitler. He said to this guy beside me, sites rules you need steel toe caps. The guy was wearing trainers. The guy says these are steel toe caps ya plum. So the security guard stands on his ■■■■■■■ foot :laughing:

Turns out they did have steel toe caps but I thought that was out of order. I didn’t even know you could get steel toe cap trainers!

Why don’t you use some kind of ‘driving shoes’ and change them when you get out of the cab.
Either a pair of slipper type trainers or flips. It also helps in keeping your cab floor clean.
I wear Clack type sandals after ‘going native’ for a Dutch lot I worked for, and stuck with them.
The safety trainers are a bit clodhoppy, and totally uncool, and with me being a cool renowned Trucking fashion icon :sunglasses: , I would not be seen dead in such a fashion faux pas. :smiley:
You really need to try and be more like me…SON. I have my reputation to think of . :wink:

I went up Snowdon in my work safety boots, not a bit of discomfort. Best boots I’ve ever been issued.

Cheers Dad, but as I’ve yet to follow you into tramping, I don’t want the hassle of taking my clodhoppers with me on every shift if I can avoid it, along with the hassle of changing footwear to get in and out the cab. As I’m also cab hopping, I can’t be sure that the cab I’m climbing into isn’t a pit, and therefore unsuitable for SANDALS! :open_mouth:
Coupled with that Pop’s, you need to remember that I’m already very tall and don’t need heels! :wink:

i have these scruffs.com/safety-footwear … orbit.html and cant fault them proper comfy and not clod hoppy or anything…and on offer for 20 quid at the mo

Evil8Beezle:
. As I’m also cab hopping, I can’t be sure that the cab I’m climbing into isn’t a pit, and therefore unsuitable for SANDALS! :open_mouth: ]

When I said sandals I meant the flip flop type.
Anyway just seen a pair of safety trainers in Asda for 12 quid, job sorted.

robroy:

Evil8Beezle:
. As I’m also cab hopping, I can’t be sure that the cab I’m climbing into isn’t a pit, and therefore unsuitable for SANDALS! :open_mouth: ]

When I said sandals I meant the flip flop type.
Anyway just seen a pair of safety trainers in Asda for 12 quid, job sorted.

My dad is a FLIP FLOP! :open_mouth:

I know you did pal, and I’m telling you now, I’m not wearing them!
I’m still having flashbacks to the Dunlop plimsolls I had to wear in PE you tight git! :imp:

I have no issue with driving in my work boots but I sometimes wear skate shoes.

Lee Coopers for me, been rockin them for the last 4 years (new pair a year ago).

Try magnum boots well light as they have composite toes and mid sole and are ce approved you need the cp/ct boot either 4 or 6 inch boot well worth the money

Thanks people - So no worries about whether they have ankle support then going into some places then people? In that case I wont limit my selection to boots. Really I want the trainers as I don’t want sweaty feet for the summer, & I’m too lazy to take 2 pairs into the truck, or should that be 2 bottles into the shower? :open_mouth: Also, it would be nice to drive with a little less “lead foot” on the pedals, thus making the experience more enjoyable, and appropriately clad if I ever have to bail out in an emergency! :laughing:

As for what I choose, I’ll be trying them on and seeing what fits well, so I’ll have a look at the Scruff’s! :smiley:

In the days when I actually drove it was Boots on the step to pull on when you got out for work…and Scholl wooden flip flops for driving with no socks . It was always as few clothes as possible with me.

Evil8Beezle:
Thanks people - So no worries about whether they have ankle support then going into some places then people? In that case I wont limit my selection to boots. Really I want the trainers as I don’t want sweaty feet for the summer, & I’m too lazy to take 2 pairs into the truck, or should that be 2 bottles into the shower? :open_mouth: Also, it would be nice to drive with a little less “lead foot” on the pedals, thus making the experience more enjoyable, and appropriately clad if I ever have to bail out in an emergency! :laughing:

As for what I choose, I’ll be trying them on and seeing what fits well, so I’ll have a look at the Scruff’s! :smiley:

My place doesn’t allow Safety Trainers - they DEMAND Safety Boots with Ankle Support, if we get caught either by person or by camera, they are very unhappy…

So you keep multiple pairs in the cab and change upon entering, exiting cab… :slight_smile:

Sadly I don’t have step (covered) big enought for Safety Boots with Ankle Support… :frowning:

• If I would have then I probably wouldnt enjoy quick change into cold, possibly wet boots…

merc0447:
I was at a security hut a few weeks back and it was a right wee hitler. He said to this guy beside me, sites rules you need steel toe caps. The guy was wearing trainers. The guy says these are steel toe caps ya plum. So the security guard stands on his [zb] foot :laughing:

Turns out they did have steel toe caps but I thought that was out of order. I didn’t even know you could get steel toe cap trainers!

I wear safety trainers and when asked that question I say " shall I kick you in the nuts and you’ll find out " :wink: :grimacing:
P/s I wear theses trainers from tool station toolstation.com/shop/Workwea … oes/p27733

These are brilliant value, light and very comfy… I ended up buying my own as a bosses answer to me asking for some trainers was “can’t you just cut the top off your boots”

I’ve got a pair of them and some rigger boots for when am knee deep in ■■■■

I would recommend some of the ones with Antibacterial material inside - doesn’t stink so much…, for example some of these:
terraeurope.com/light-industry/

Some Googling can find these, but they are quite expensive according to their website: equiprev.wordpress.com/2015/02/ … er-review/

blue estate:

merc0447:
I was at a security hut a few weeks back and it was a right wee hitler. He said to this guy beside me, sites rules you need steel toe caps. The guy was wearing trainers. The guy says these are steel toe caps ya plum. So the security guard stands on his [zb] foot :laughing:

I wear safety trainers and when asked that question I say " shall I kick you in the nuts and you’ll find out " :wink: :grimacing:
P/s I wear theses trainers from tool station toolstation.com/shop/Workwea … oes/p27733

Mate, I can’t wear them!!!

I’ll get nicknamed:

Or

Lightweight and breathable they are not pal, but it’s the heel that worries me, I don’t wear push up’s like Pop’s! :wink:
But in all seriousness, I want nothing to make me taller, as I do feel that a small number of our shorter brethren take umbrage with my height, and I’m really not looking for conflict by amplify that further… Safety legal slippers that don’t fall apart and cost next to nothing, is what I’m really after! :laughing:

Evil8Beezle:

blue estate:

merc0447:

Mate, I can’t wear them!!!

I’ll get nicknamed:

Or

Lightweight and breathable they are not pal, but it’s the heel that worries me, I don’t wear push up’s like Pop’s! :wink:
But in all seriousness, I want nothing to make me taller, as I do feel that a small number of our shorter brethren take umbrage with my height, and I’m really not looking for conflict by amplify that further… Safety legal slippers that don’t fall apart and cost next to nothing, is what I’m really after! :laughing:

No not those theses toolstation.com/shop/Workwea … ers/p61876
or toolstation.com/shop/Workwea … rey/p29835

honestly a few years ago if somebody you didn’t know came up and stamped on your foot you would hae skelped them… :unamused: now its to check for H&S footware . worlds gone bloody mad!