Safe Working Areas Trailers

We have a problem? My company has a habit of loading our trailers to the back doors. Over the past few months I’ve been making the despatches remove goods to allow the proper fitment of load restraint equipment.

I’ve sent a letter addressing this fact to our Transport Manager so my problem is resolved but this scenario does not only effect my depot it effects all our depots.

Over the last 12 months we’ve had about four trailers come in with bulging back Roller Doors where the load has shifted while in transit. This to me is a stupid practice & purely comes down to our management maximizing load capacities until they are dangerous.

Of course our drivers have the right to say no to taking such trailers out on the road but most are to afraid to complain or are stupid enough to run with such loads. What I would like to know is?

Is there a law that states that a safe working area should be available at the rear of the trailer for the driver to operate? I.e. To Work and Fit Secure Load Restraining Equipment Properly.

Cheers Guy’s. :question:

Mantoris:
Is there a law that states that a safe working area should be available at the rear of the trailer for the driver to operate? I.e. To Work and Fit Secure Load Restraining Equipment Properly.

Ask for a writen ‘Risk Assessment’ of the problem - that should sort it out.

ROG:

Mantoris:

Ask for a writen ‘Risk Assessment’ of the problem - that should sort it out.

Or open the door have good fall on you claim injury and enough dosh to live on for the rest of your life :wink:
No like Rog says ask for a risk assesment.

dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/vehicle … hicles.pdf

hse.gov.uk/fallsfromvehicles/wpt06.pdf

This should help you

Mantoris:

Hi Mantoris, Whilst ROG is correct about the Risk Assessment, that’s only half of the story…

The risk assessment, when correctly carried out, THEN ought give rise to another document called a ‘Safe System of Work’ (SSW.)

Keeping this topic straightforward and uncomplicated, the SSW amounts to what should be done in order to do the job in question SAFELY, or in other words, how to do the job.

Given that restraining the load is a legal requirement, it seems to me that there ought to be some kind of safe platform set at a sensible height for a driver to stand on whilst securing a load that occupies the whole of the available deck-space on a vehicle.

With the recent tightening of H&S law, a company ignores the above at its peril, because the HSE are very keen on ‘falls from height.’
An approach to the company’s H&S bod asking for their advice on how to do that particular job might be the best way forward.
At least it’s non-confrontational that way. :wink:

Thanks for the replies.

I take on board what you said however the main problem is when the trailers are full to the back door you CANT get any load restraint on because you cant get access to the anchor points so some drivers are running without? Idiots I know some people you just cant tell.

Over the last year 2008 word has it that some drivers lost part loads going around roundabouts the whole situation ■■■■■ Crap Management who don’t care & to say the least some Crap Drivers who put the rest of us to shame.