SAF Disc braked axles

What does anyone know about these?

I’m looking at getting a tipper for agri work and I’m told that SAF axles are lighter than the more common ROR drums. Are the disc brakes any more or less reliable than drums? One I’ve enquired about has recently had 6 new discs and a full new set of pads. Any idea how much would that have cost?

Ta,
Paul

once had weightlifter bulker with the said axle i did find the disc brakes an exellent brake however it will depend on how heavy you are on the brake pedal they do tend to crack alot as you will be doing bulk work you might tend to load in quarries wheel washes love discs hot brakes/cold water its probably cheaper to go down the drum route discs can be expensive alot of the trailer manufacturers are going to offering drum brakes as an option.

why do you not talk direct to SAF and explain what type of
work you do explaining the in,s and outs and worry s you have
and see what they have to offer and also what type of
guarantee they will offer you, , asking the people who build
direct has never failed, to get information that may help you decide
as you wish to improve the income of your firm,

i run a curtain tri axle on merc axles with discs on. just had 2 new calipers for its test at £238 each plus fitting plus vat. never again will i buy disc braked trailer again. i know you can have problems with drums but it always seems cheaper to fix and its a lot less frequent.
its only my opinion and i bet there will be plenty of people who prefer discs but my experience tells me to go with ror drums.

I am old fashioned in some ways and I think drums would be more suitable in your area, regular runs to Driffield, Hull or Cranswick mill from Yorkshire farms or are you expecting longer jobs like over the hill to Cargills at Seaforth.

If it was a racing motorcycle than unsprung weight is everything, however on a truck I think weight probably means strength, apart from the possible expense. As an owner driver I would prefer something I could back into the shed on a Saturday afternoon and replace the brakes easily.

I can remember vividly the times when I was a lad at work removing old brake linings and cleaning the shoes up before riveting new linings onto the old shoes on my work bench.

Did I say it was your choice, but I think I would still go for Drums

safbenelux.nl/download/nieuw … 19K_GB.pdf

arvinmeritor.com/products/af … ervice.pdf

Some light reading to make your mind up :wink:

brit pete:

If I was the SAF sales advisor Pete. I would tell you exactly what you wanted to hear and tell you 100 reasons why their own product is better than a competitor.

I would expect a reciprocal argument when I called Meritor to ask them about their drum brakes :stuck_out_tongue:

The salesmans name is Mr Gullible

YES correct Wheelnut ,however one gets the nice man to
put this down on paper to back his words up, before handing
out any money, well that is how i would act,

i dont know on the weight front
but for cost and maintanance i would say drums every time
a mate of mine is a fitter for a tipper firm and he reckons discs are nowt but hassle

Seems like pretty much everyone prefers drums then!

The work will be a mixture, Wheel Nut. Obviously it’ll all be local at harvest time but outside the peak season it will be whatever I can find. I can see me ending up running over the hills to Manchester or Seaforth quite a bit.

Paul

repton:
Seems like pretty much everyone prefers drums then!

The work will be a mixture, Wheel Nut. Obviously it’ll all be local at harvest time but outside the peak season it will be whatever I can find. I can see me ending up running over the hills to Manchester or Seaforth quite a bit.

Paul

dead quiet at the minute round here
was chatting to a lad from york yesterday and its pretty dire at the moment
we have had bulkers in for grain near ripon and theyve been coming from liverpool and preston empty to get a load for manchester

jonnieboy:
dead quiet at the minute round here

There’s not a great deal doing round here either at the moment, but then it is often quiet on grain at this time of year. It should pick up fairly soon though as most of the stores are still full and it won’t be long before they start emptying them ready for this year’s harvest.

I’m not expecting to be on grain all year necessarily. There are quite a few places round where I will be basing the wagon that use subbies on a traction only basis and I hope to use them to fill in some of the gaps when it’s quiet on bulk work.

Paul

if you gonna be parking it up for a while then i personally would go for drums as there is less of a chance it will seize up compared to discs, plus drums are cheaper to maintain. they have just started to empty some of the grain sheds up here now, in the next 3 weeks they are expecting to load 9 grain boats

brit pete:

This is a problem, getting hold of anyone at IMS (UK Sales Agents) they are an absolute joke, when I was phoning them (working for a major trailer manufacturer) for tech. advise, wouldn’t answer the phone or if they did they would say we’ll phone you back, never did), in my experience, on fridge work the SAF axle is good axle, don’t need a lot of maintenance, discs will crack (small) or craze this doesn’t mean they need replacing, an error alot of fitters make! The calipers are generally all the same, ie Bendix. The biggest and in my opinion the most important thing is not just to bang another set of pads in, use a file and a pnumatic die grinder with a flap disc on and clean all the crap (brake dust and rust) and then when putting the pads in use plenty of copper slip so the pads can move in the pad carrier.
ROR/Arvin Meritor - Good axles very simple and loads of spares availble.

If I was buying a trailer for any job my first port of call would be BPW, excellant axles and if maintained regularly will provide many years service, The back up is second too none, the chaps at the Leicester HQ are all really nice blokes and they have probably forgotten more than I’ve ever known about axles and hubs.

Just my thoughts!!

Then if the UK side is not doing their job go direct to the firms base in Germany they will speak English, if you require some one to act as interpreter
well ask away , if I can not do my house interpreter will as we have done this before for some one more than once , for one of the members here.