Sad

My old man was clocking out with his mate last night (they’ve both worked for a big supermarket for the past 15 years as drivers). While my dad was clocking out he heard a thud turned round and his mate had collapsed and unfortunately passed away :cry:

He was fairly young and its a timely reminder that as HGV drivers we mostly don’t take care of ourselves as much as we could/should and while that may not have helped in this case I think all drivers need to look at how we maintain ourselves.

Years ago I was told the biggest killer of drivers is obesity and related disease and the second biggest is testicular cancer which comes from fuelling up and then taking a ■■■■ with diesel covered hands. Diesel is carcinogenic.

Still amuses the people I work with when I wash my hands, take a leak and then wash them again.

very sad that, this is not a mickey take but i hope your dad clocked out and his mate didn’t because if he died whilsrt in work maybe his mrs will get better looked after by the company.
as for fuelling up i always wear gloves :bulb:

When I was working as a fitter it was common practice to wash your hands before and after using the toilet for this very reason. Well some of us washed our hands after :slight_smile: But we could all do with looking after ourselves a bit more if we are honest. I’m off to eat a carrot.

welshboyinspain:
very sad that, this is not a mickey take but i hope your dad clocked out and his mate didn’t because if he died whilsrt in work maybe his mrs will get better looked after by the company.

Hear hear, for his family’s sake. Of course, with diesel, petrol or anything that you can smell, once you’ve smelt it, it’s been absorbed into your blood stream even if it is a relatively minute amount. Best to avoid it altogether, though you will soon get a bad rep if you get someone else to fill up for you.

Snudger:

welshboyinspain:

Hear hear, for his family’s sake. Of course, with diesel, petrol or anything that you can smell, once you’ve smelt it, it’s been absorbed into your blood stream even if it is a relatively minute amount. Best to avoid it altogether, though you will soon get a bad rep if you get someone else to fill up for you.

hiya… sorry to hear about the chap passing on…we all need a good rest before that happens.

the line saing yo,ll get a bad rep getting someone to fill your tank.
you,ll get a worse rep getting someone to hold you ■■■■ to take a leak because you did,nt wash your hands.gloves or no gloves
John

Very sad news, RIP

I don’t mean to hijack the thread but if fueling up or smelling fuel can give you cancer why hasn’t everyone that owns and drives a car got cancer? Life itself is cancerous, u can’t prevent it in the majority of cases, you cant go through life tip toeing around because the clock can run out at anytime like this thread proves.

incidents like this just shows you that life is to short.

My thoughts go to his family and your farther who had to witness this

FarnboroughBoy11:
‘… Life itself is cancerous, u can’t prevent it in the majority of cases …’

Reduce the risk of it nobbling you in general by doing regular excercise, NO ■■■■, ‘sensible’ alcohol intake and varied diet to include five portions of fruit/veg per day. Apparently.

a friend of mine once told me “truck drivers dont retire they die on the job” and sadly its seems to be getting more common these days.

When they advertising the job■■?

jimmi:
a friend of mine once told me “truck drivers dont retire they die on the job” and sadly its seems to be getting more common these days.

Im actually surprised more drivers dont pass away at work given the crazy amount of time we spend in our trucks.
ps ,very sad about the fella dying RIP. :frowning:

Okey-Didley-Dokely:

You for real?

bigvern1:

Okey-Didley-Dokely:

You for real?

yes, people die every minute of every day

So if you drop dead now…Will your job be offered before you’re even cold?
And would your friends/ relatives be offended if it was?

bigvern1:
So if you drop dead now…Will your job be offered before you’re even cold?
And would your friends/ relatives be offended if it was?

probably, and probably not

FarnboroughBoy11:
Very sad news, RIP

I don’t mean to hijack the thread but if fueling up or smelling fuel can give you cancer why hasn’t everyone that owns and drives a car got cancer? Life itself is cancerous, u can’t prevent it in the majority of cases, you cant go through life tip toeing around because the clock can run out at anytime like this thread proves.

Yes, I agree with your proposition. Fuel possibly has bad effect to our health but I don’t totally agree that we can get cancer immediately. But somehow, all of us should be warned on this news.

Okey-Didley-Dokely:

Well that was really sensitive was’nt it :open_mouth:

Gunner Til I Die:

Okey-Didley-Dokely:

Well that was really sensitive was’nt it :open_mouth:

Not very sensitive but, I would suggest, pragmatic. While we can be sad and thoughtful at the news of a driver dying it doesn’t change some basic facts. The OP stated that this was a supermarket depot, and life will go on, I doubt they stopped making deliveries on that day even though some of the late drivers colleagues may well have been upset by the news.

About 5 years ago we had a driver die in the back of a trailer while unloading, heart attack, and when his vehicle was returned to the depot the personal kit was removed and the unit parked up opposite the gate. I took it on myself to go and draw the curtains and “lost” the keys till the end of the day. The units were allocated and we all knew whose unit it was and served as a reminder of our colleague for the rest of the day.

The next day that unit was used as life goes on. People were recruited to maintain the delivery capability.

RIP driver.