S&J Transport closing due to Cyclist Death

jakethesnake:
Memory ain’t so bad!

That is one very early D series judging by the rear light cluster, same one as on the Thames trader

As you can see, my passenger door has a window, it gives me a fantastic view of the shiny air filter canister and nothing else, I’ve got it covered so I don’t get arc eye from the sun hitting the stainless steel canister. Covering it also keeps the hordes of women away when I’m dressing or ■■■■■■■■■■ lol.

Now those bloody tables are a pet peeve of mine, a bit hypocritical coming from someone with a pool table sized bonnet jutting out in front of his windscreen, but I’ve no choice about that. I had a used 4 series Scania that had a dash table that covered the middle and the passenger side of the dash when I got it, first thing I did was toss it on the bunk, then into a skip, it took up half the windscreen ffs and being a left ■■■■■■ made that 10x worse.

Windows have one purpose, to be transparent, that’s it, covering them up is just stupid, unless they’re bunk windows, which I don’t like or you drive a Peterbilt with a air filter canister viewing window [emoji6]

I wondered what make of fire engine was in our workshop the other week cheers Wheel Nut. Looked like this:

Re: mirror set-up, the Co-op depot at Castlewood has a stop line with various marked out areas in the yard, to check that each mirror is set-up properly. Simple, but effective idea.

Sent from my SM-A415F using Tapatalk

GCR2ERF:
Re: mirror set-up, the Co-op depot at Castlewood has a stop line with various marked out areas in the yard, to check that each mirror is set-up properly. Simple, but effective idea.

Never heard of that before, good idea.

Juddian:

GCR2ERF:

Never heard of that before, good idea.

It’s one of the few innovations I’ve seen at these new-build ‘logistics’ depots that is good and does what it’s meant to…
…the only slight drawback is that it needs ‘moving’ to put it in a straight line for the axle-weigher and exit route (!)

Better late than never! Photos attached of a ‘mirror check’ zone - this one is at Kuehne & Nagel at the East Midlands Gateway depot.

I wonder why there isn’t a law that keeps Cyclists, Scooters, etc on roads designated “No Trucks above 7.5t” - and nowhere else?

Main roads don’t just have Trucks on them, but buslanes too, which cyclists are expected to use…

What could possibly go wrong? :frowning:

Winseer:
I wonder why there isn’t a law that keeps Cyclists, Scooters, etc on roads designated “No Trucks above 7.5t” - and nowhere else?

Main roads don’t just have Trucks on them, but buslanes too, which cyclists are expected to use…

That’s not a complete network! Most residential streets do not exclude HGV’s

Suedehead:
Ford cargos and the Volvo FL6 had them

As did at least one Foden; not sure if the rest of Tate & Lyle’s S21’s had them, presumably a factory mod.

Winseer:

Because it would mean that travel from almost any A to any B by bike/scooter would be impossible?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:

Winseer:

Because it would mean that travel from almost any A to any B by bike/scooter would be impossible?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Exactly. It’s just plain wrong that “Cycling culture” is expected to be public transport/mass transit/commuter method rather than sticking to the “hobbyist” realm of staying on country lanes in large numbers… It would be a lot easier to get 4x4 drivers to be more careful, as they drive those vehicles out of “financial surplus” whereas the average fossil fuel-consuming commuter - does what they do out of necessity, especially right now.

FFS just get anything with less than 4 wheels - off the damned roads already!

There’s no appeal if YOU get killed next FFS. :imp:

“Nether the twain shall meet”.

Cycles were not designed to be run over, nor professional drivers be put at constant risk of six years jail because some git thought there was no middle ground between being a petrolhead and a cycopath. :angry:

I remember 40+ years ago having the same discussion many times with drivers who’s windscreens were full of clutter.Such as trays inc.the stuff on them,rows of flags across the full width,crossed bullfighter swords,and countless stickers telling the world where they had been.