S&J Transport closing due to Cyclist Death

RIPPER:

but would I hang back with an empty cycle lane in front of me?
Doubtful, we all trust that other drivers are at least halfways sentient,

So you would still go up the inside of a truck who was indicating to turn left■■?

Not defending the driver of the truck, he had far too much junk on the table, but there is no way i would have gone up his inside

Was this truck indicating a left turn?
I wouldnt go past in the same lane as a truck, no. I probably would go past in a separate cycle lane, as Dr Bull did. Having seen this report maybe I wouldnt now, but if we can`t trust drivers to see the road in front of them, can we trust anyone to do anything correctly?

If I drove around in my Jetta with fabric covering the door glass so much so as only the mirror was available to view, plod would be all over me like a rash.

In a truck - no problem, Bro.

Perhaps somebody could enlighten.

Can’t stand clutter meself but I don’t tramp.

Socketset:
If I drove around in my Jetta with fabric covering the door glass so much so as only the mirror was available to view, plod would be all over me like a rash.

Oii!
Less of the stereotyping, mate. :smiley:
As a distance driver I do carry a lot of kit, but dont hang it all up in the windscreen. Ive also seen local tippers with frilly curtains, pelmets and more shiny mirrors than a budgies cage.

I also read he’d been on his phone shortly before the crash, on a hands-free call admittedly, talking to his missus about booking a holiday. On a motorway/dual carriage way, fair enough, but in the middle of a busy urban area? :unamused:

Socketset:

and there was me thinking that they all drive VW Passatts
At least they indicate whilst exiting a roundabout, unlike the average* BMW/AUDI/Honda civic driver*

*insert where applicable

Franglais:

Socketset:

Oii!
Less of the stereotyping, mate. :smiley:
As a distance driver I do carry a lot of kit, but dont hang it all up in the windscreen. Ive also seen local tippers with frilly curtains, pelmets and more shiny mirrors than a budgies cage.

I don’t tramp - so I can’t say what my cab would be like if I did - hopefully not like the pics, though.

Suedehead:

Socketset:

and there was me thinking that they all drive VW Passatts
At least they indicate whilst exiting a roundabout, unlike the average* BMW/AUDI/Honda civic driver*

*insert where applicable

Yes, I wanted a Passat but couldn’t find one in my modest price range - and yes, I always use my indicators. :smiley:

The reason many cycle lanes end with a box at the lights is so that cyclists can easily be seen.That mess somewhat defeats that. Did this happen at lights?

I cycle and I do go up the inside of lorries, but generally only when they are stationary and held by other traffic. In city traffic, I can easy keep up with traffic and use normal lanes. It feels a lot safer. Cycle lanes on the in side of bends feel particularly dangerous.

granddaddylow:
The reason many cycle lanes end with a box at the lights is so that cyclists can easily be seen.That mess somewhat defeats that. Did this happen at lights?

I cycle and I do go up the inside of lorries, but generally only when they are stationary and held by other traffic. In city traffic, I can easy keep up with traffic and use normal lanes. It feels a lot safer. Cycle lanes on the in side of bends feel particularly dangerous.

Yes, it was at traffic lights. I said earlier the cyclist was in a dedicated cycle lane, but I was mistaken - she was in fact riding in a dedicated Bus & Cycle lane moving past stationary vehicles queuing at a red light. She passed the (stationary) lorry and was fully ahead of him (still in the bus/cycle lane) when he caught up and commenced his left turn, the front of the lorry hitting her bike and passing over her. She was crushed under the OFFSIDE 2nd steered wheel…

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

jakethesnake:
Maybe the legislators and designers need to look at the ever growing amount of mirrors which can block a drivers view whilst restrained with a seat belt.

How strange! I thought the whole purpose of inertia seatbelts were to let the driver move his body or head around to check mirrors etc.
It’s amazing the excuses some drivers come up with being too lazy to check properly. :wink:

Wow

robthedog:

elsa Lad:

Conor:
This was the view from his windscreen, a fair amount of trampers are like that.

The first thing that screams out from that pic, apart from that garbage piled high, is that the front down mirror might as well have been removed and chucked in the bin, a glorious view of the windscreen and bonnet area are of of no use whatsoever, what’s the betting the other mirrors were as hoplessly set as that one, see it all the time nearside mirrors set far too high and close, and down mirrors showing well over 50% of the wagons bodywork, pointless, and that’s if some bugger cleaned them or the glass this year :unamused:

I tramp and have only my sat nav in the window. Its low down in front of me. Nothing else on the dash at all visibility is such a basic requirement.
The truck came to me with fancy curtains which were set by the previous driver into both door windows. I push them right back every day into the bunk area.
The pelmet at the top of the windscreen came down straight away, partially obscured the front mirror.

One other thought on this, you see lots of lorries with the new small window set into the passenger door by the footwell, basically its no point whatsoever without a small convex mirror of its own, or preferably a small camera with live feed, mirror or camera don’t need to stick out too far because its field of vision required, a cheap easy to replace mirror standard across all makes as obvious every now and again it will get whacked.

FG Cab.jpg

Bring back the FG Cab

> Juddian:
> One other thought on this, you see lots of lorries with the new small window set into the passenger door by the footwell, basically its no point whatsoever without a small convex mirror of its own, or preferably a small camera with live feed, mirror or camera don’t need to stick out too far because its field of vision required, a cheap easy to replace mirror standard across all makes as obvious every now and again it will get whacked.

I seem to remember some older lorries having that small window in the passenger door but I can’t remember the make? Ford? Dodge? Mind’s a blank!

Regarding setting mirrors properly it was one of the first things I showed a driver when training. It always amazed me how many drivers experienced or not did not have a clue.
It’s like many other things where they decide what they think is best instead of the correct way.

I know some cyclists take liberties but if some lorry drivers were a bit more professional especially in their attitude lives could be saved.

Leyland was one :laughing:

First type of artic I drove (not this one btw) had a low side window,.Magirus Deutz 310.
Ok until you were getting changed at night to go out and some nosey ■■■■ stuck his snout to the window while you were stark bollock naked. :smiley:

Memory ain’t so bad!

I seem to remember that a lot of left hand drive Scania 140/141s had a small window in the right hand door and they often had a mirror mounted there as well

Ford cargos and the Volvo FL6 had them