ruts on M6

Have you noticed the tram like effect of ruts on the M6 in lane 1They are so bad that they are dangerous. It was only when the sun shone on them that i could see them carved into the road.

I was having some truck wobble the trailer and unit going their sepaerate ways and i thought that it was the side wind blowing me into lane 2 or the hard shoulder so i looked more closley at the road and seen the ruts that are thew same width as hgv, inevitable its hgv that caused them. You drive along straight then your wheels for no reason what so ever seem to loose control as though hit by a side wind, you try to correct it but you get caught in the curve of the rut and it bounces you over to lane 2 or the hard shoulder.

This happened on at least 5 occassions to me southbound between warrington and stafford and north bound between warrington and manchester.

If you have ever driven a car on a tram track and it looses grip and slides slightly its a similar effect

If it werent for the sun shinig so bright i would never had noticed these ruts. Now when the sun is not so bright or when the road is wet or dark i wonder how many i have put the effect of truck wobble down to side wind. I also wonder if accidents have occured and others have lost their lives and licences due to the worn out road.It is inevitable that i could have crashed due to this effect and it would have been put down to driver error.

I took a phot of these ruts but i dont know how to upload to this site, But if i am ever in an accident i will take into account the ruts carved into the road having a bearing on the steerabilty of my vehicle. I am going to let the highways agency know about these roads

It’s not just the M6, it’s becoming very common - M25 anticlockwise, just after the M4 split where it goes into 4 lanes, the n/s lane has the same thing - you feel like you’re on rails. This hot weather is only going to make more appear.

I have a solution !

All motorways should have a 7.5 tonne weight limit on them to stop great big dirty wagons ruining the surfaces.

:laughing:

Yes the M25 is getting really bad in places, try and pull out of lane 1 and nothing happens for a while before lunging to lane 2. Or drop back to lane 1 and rock about the an ocean liner. Quite scary when your not expecting it.

but is it not scary to think if this occurnce in the road killed yourself or someone else that there may be a possibility that the road condition could be overlooked due to the weather conditions making the ruts less visible.A manslaughter charge could be faced to some one

I wonder if accidents have already occured due to this phenominom and the ruts have not been taken into account.

example its dark the road is wet and you lunge into lane two rocking like a boat loose control hit the car and kill someone , driver error as the road looks okay and these ruts have not been reported,

Its possibly the only excuse for drivers staying in the middle lane!

M25 — the ruts are a problem — the M3 is worse in places

But those roller coaster bouncy bits on the 25 are worse — follow a car transporter and you’ll see the effect! And quite often, you see bumpy road signs where its not too bad, and no warning signs when its take off time!

spaceman:
Bit those roller coaster bouncy bits on the 25 are worse — follow a car transporter and you’ll see the effect! And quite often, you see bumpy road signs where its not too bad, and no warning signs when its take off time!

If you think that’s bad, try going along the M62 between the M6 and M60 :open_mouth: :open_mouth: .

Probably the way the roads were laid no for-thought again typical Uk, just look at the M6 around Birmingham right now. I read somewhere that German roads were capable of carrying 44 ton loads back in the 1940’s

I blame the Irish boys coming over here with their 4x2s with 26 tonne of hanging meat with another 26 tonne of steel underneath it on the deck. All that weight on one axle will be causing all the ruts to appear. :laughing:

It used to be like that in Italy & France 30 years ago. I was in Dover & all the international boys were saying we should raise the weight limits here from 32T. I said then we would end up with ruts like the continent & I was shouted down :smiley:

In regard to rob k`s solution. You would have 4 times the amount of seven and a half ton wagons on the road, but at least the tram lines would be narrower :unamused: :open_mouth: :smiley:

Ive found these to be a godsend. Stick the cruise control on, line up with the ruts and away you go! You can get a good power-nap on some sections.

The tram lines on the motorways are a lame attempt by the Government to get freight transport back on the railways :smiling_imp: :sunglasses:

if the lane is too bad dont use it

I often wonder why UK roads rut with the weight of HGVs and even worse once the sun comes out.
Yet in all the thousands of miles Ive driven in Florida, a place not unknown for its rather warm climate, there is not a rut to be seen.
Maybe the road builders in this country should take a look at their US brothers in how to do the job properly.

Having said that, why would this countries government/s want to ease road repairs. Roadworks mean traffic jams, people waste fuel sat in traffic jams, therefore spending more on fuel to do the same trip means more revenue for Mr Brown to waste on other things.

Florida roads are nice and smooth.Alot has to do with the asphalt spec and the way the underlying concrete expansion joints are tied together.There are plenty of rutted roads over here,some so bad you have to abandon the inside lane for the outside. :bulb: The other option is to slow down and maintain control .

Bring on the 60 tonners :stuck_out_tongue:

The first time they opened the M1 one of Pickford’s heavies leaving London just sank in it . It was spread so thinly. The government had paid the money for the correct construction spec but the contractors were all on the fiddle. Got paid for three loads of whatever but only dropped one…

Super singles on the front cause interesting effects.