Russian Roulette

Just to let all followers of this thread know - I have just initiated a new thread “The Champagne Truckers” on Trucknet.
The thread, beside promoting the book, is also designed so that people can discuss the book and ask me any questions
that arise concerning the content.

I hope that all of the followers of Russian Roulette will support the new thread and comment upon it.

Mick

Vodka Cola Cowboy:
Just to let all followers of this thread know - I have just initiated a new thread “The Champagne Truckers” on Trucknet.
The thread, beside promoting the book, is also designed so that people can discuss the book and ask me any questions

I hope that all of the followers of Russian Roulette will support the new thread and comment upon it.

Mick

Here is the link to “The Champagne Truckers” thread: viewtopic.php?t=151386

Regards
Johnny

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

jsutherland:

Vodka Cola Cowboy:

Mick

Here is the link to “The Champagne Truckers” thread: viewtopic.php?t=151386

Regards
Johnny

Thanks for putting that on here Johnny

Mick

A standard view of Russian roads. The dirt strips either side were used as a hard shoulder
that you could pull onto when there was no parking area handy.
On stretches of the road between Borisov and Moscow the road was that wide that you
could have got 8 trucks, side by side, on it.

To be fair the surface on the road from Brest to Moscow was not too bad.
There were the occasional pot holes but you soon learned where they were.
Then you could avoid them

Other Russian roads were not so good and the tarmac could disappear and
you would find yourself driving on shale, or shingle.

Mick

Now here’s an unusual lorry to have the Sovtransauto ‘S’ on the driver’s door! And right up my street too: it’s a LHD 6x4 Scammell Crusader with the RR Eagle 305 lump and a 9-sp Fuller 'box. It’s all cold-weather prepared (allegedly!) and ready to go. Robert

Cracking find Robert! Bet that Scammell was far more “comfortable” to drive then the Kamaz those drivers were used to…?

pv83:
Cracking find Robert! Bet that Scammell was far more “comfortable” to drive then the Kamaz those drivers were used to…?

Thanks to Bubbleman really, 'cos I originally downloaded that scan from his Scrapbook thread about four years ago! Cheers, Robert

ERF-NGC-European:
Now here’s an unusual lorry to have the Sovtransauto ‘S’ on the driver’s door! And right up my street too: it’s a LHD 6x4 Scammell Crusader with the RR Eagle 305 lump and a 9-sp Fuller 'box. It’s all cold-weather prepared (allegedly!) and ready to go. Robert

A most interesting article Robert,thanks.

David

ERF-NGC-European:

pv83:

Thanks to Bubbleman really, 'cos I originally downloaded that scan from his Scrapbook thread about four years ago! Cheers, Robert

Yes. A really interesting article Robert. Thanks for publishing it.
There was quite a lot that went on between Britain and the Soviet Union that people do not know about.
I knew a guy in Moscow who had lived in Wolverhampton for a couple of years during the Cold War.
He was involved in an engineering project.

Mick

Just to let everyone know that Johnny Mantle, who was a driver for Kepstowe,
but who I also worked with on Pro-Motor has been involved in a serious motorbike crash.
He was taken to Kings College Hospital and stayed there for some while.
He has just been allowed home, but is not able to move much.
They have accepted him for Stoke Mandeville Hospital.
However, his wife has recently passed away.
Her funeral is at Worth Crematorium, on 6th February at 10am.
So, he also has that to contend with.

I am sure that everyone joins with me and wishes him a speedy and full recovery.

Mick

Having been quite ill myself for the past 5 weeks and not really done anything on the P.C.
I had missed the fact that Jamie Jamieson had passed away.
His funeral was apparently on 19th February 2018, in Wales.

Jamie was another of the subbies who worked for Kepstowe and was regularly in and around Moscow.
A terrific bloke who will be greatly missed. I worked with him many times in Russia.

May you rest in eternal peace Jamie.

Vodka Cola Cowboy:
Having been quite ill myself for the past 5 weeks and not really done anything on the P.C.
I had missed the fact that Jamie Jamieson had passed away.
His funeral was apparently on 19th February 2018, in Wales.

Jamie was another of the subbies who worked for Kepstowe and was regularly in and around Moscow.
A terrific bloke who will be greatly missed. I worked with him many times in Russia.

May you rest in eternal peace Jamie.

Hello Micky T. Fully understand you not being around much recently. Keep fighting and don’t give up. We are thinking of you.
Brian.

Rest in Peace Mick

A True legend.

Trucky Mc truckface:
Rest in Peace Mick

A True legend.

Another one gone

Trucky Mc truckface:
Rest in Peace Mick

A True legend.

Rest in peace Mick.

I’ve been looking at old Russian lorries on this fabulous internet, and this modern one turned up:
youtube.com/watch?v=eQNEl6SAhXs

It looks like a cross between Mercedes and MAN, but the interior looks very clever- a fold-down wash basin and some rudimentary exercise equipment are things you don’t see in present-day Euro motors, afaik. I wonder if Russia is gradually edging ahead of Europe?