running money

May have a chance of a job running over the water, only out a week at a time, germany france etc.

Not exactly ‘euro trucker of the year,’ but a change from uk and a foot in the euro scene.

How much money would you be carrying? Have cc for emergencies, but having never done it before I’m a little unsure.

cheers.

Running money seems to be a thing of the past now, you generally have a DKV/UTA card to pay tolls, or a Tag for the French peages so all you would normally carry in cash is your own money for day-to-day expenses.

Not much. If you have fuel cards which can also be used for tolls and taxes then it’s just your money and debit cards like maestro work in the cash machines and can be used to pay for meals and the like in truckstops.

And don’t keep all your money in one place in the cab just in case you get robbed.

I personally don’t carry any cash.

I only carry a small amount of cash, enough for coffee machines is about it really. Does anybody miss carrying loads of different currencies around, not knowing when your next going to be going there? I do miss some of the exchange rates though!

Ha Ha Skids yep those were the days,do you remember those black ■■■■■ s we used hang on a chain in to our back pocket ■■ god it used to be full of of so much currencey i think it had 6 or 7 Compartments in it. How we never had them knicked ill never know all you had to come along with cutters .

Keep a little bit of cash hidden in the truck for when a credit card will not be accepted. Get a low limit card less then 500 if you can so if it gets cloned or nicked it is only a pain in the ■■■■. More than all that go with the idea that you will enjoy most of it and you will.
Best of luck
Ps I would swop trucking here in Canada with trucking in Europe anyday.

Fuel cards for tolls and, er, fuel, and some small € change for Germany’s amazing rotating robo-toilets.

I used to carry a bag-full of 5p pieces for German cigarette machines. :wink:

I would take the same amount of cash with me for a weeks tramping in the UK as I would a weeks tramping in Germany or France.

It’s worthwhile to note, I’ve been to a couple of modern looking autohofs that didn’t accept credit cards and some banks charge your account for drawing cash from a foreign ATM.

To that end, don’t bother changing money back when you get home just keep it for next time.

Enjoy your trips…

W

Ha ha…yes Harry a packet of HB cigarettes for only 5p, those were the days.

Ha Ha 5p a packet god !! how long did we do that for till they found out ,it seemed to gone on for ever.I always thought the small towns were the best places to stop as your going through cos the m/c always seemed to be full up. Got to like H&B in the end though,god how naughty was we ? Was nt 50ltrs fuel on every fill enough ■■ Nope !! Ha Ha still we were young then and thats my excuse.I love these memorys please keep them coming,my Boys are looking at me as if i was some sort of Criminal ! (was we?) nope just doing our job not our fault if we had Perks with the job the thing is my Boss knew we were having a drop of fuel but didnt seem to want to do anything about it

yes, and the fuel fiddles in all of Italy…60 billion lira of running money equivalent of 7 pounds sterling, well enough for a meal and beer anyway. the thing was not to be too greedy or put more than your tank held…unlike some drivers i knew. :slight_smile:

I am like the Queen and don’t carry cash, as it is easy to get to an ATM abroad, especially in France and Germany. Belgium can be a problem as our cards don’t work in their private banks, but I have managed to get cash back at a few places to tide me over.

I hardly carry any cash either. A bit of change for coffee machines and toilets.

Be sure to record the contact numbers of the bank cards to stop them if they get stolen,i would leave a photocopy of my passport at home,in case it was lost,and it could get sorted out in the uk.
The cab has many secret hidding places,as the others have said,it is a good idea to have some cash to back you up,and pay for the massage and stripper on route and reclaim the expenses.
Do you have the NHS medical card for free hospital treatment in europe,it is free to get one.

I don’t take cash…got one of those prepaid debit cards…top it up with about 30euros every couple of weeks , all done online…and no charge for drawing cash out of the hole in the wall either :smiley:

Checkout http://www.mytravelcash.com/

the trick to the german robo toilets is they are a turnstile… that means if u pull it towards you when you want to get in you dont have to pay :wink: just make sure the frau whos cleaning it dont see you or else you get some of the most hate filled german yelling you will ever encounter and have to make a speedy exit like road runner from the coyote

acceptme:
the trick to the german robo toilets is they are a turnstile… that means if u pull it towards you when you want to get in you dont have to pay :wink: just make sure the frau whos cleaning it dont see you or else you get some of the most hate filled german yelling you will ever encounter and have to make a speedy exit like road runner from the coyote

But they are worth 0,70€ just for the entertainment value :laughing: And you do get a 50 cent voucher to save up for the times when you don’t want to brew in the cab…