Running Legally

Recently I was sent to collect a Rigid 17 ton fridge truck from a maintenance workshop.
Upon collection of the 3 axle unladen 10 wheeled truck I notice the rear lift axle had a damaged tire.
I reported the defect and was instructed to lift the axle of the ground and return to the depot 25 miles away.
The question for you truckers is was it legal to drive the unloaded truck back with the damaged tire.
If you got stopped by V O S A would you get a prohibition for your employer.?

If that wheel is not going to used on the road surface and will not cause a safety issue for others then as far as I am aware its ok

That’s what the transport office said.
Bring it back.

Fortunately I could ask a contact from V O S A who explained it can’t be brought back and needs changing before used on the road.
Even if the truck empty and if the axle is raised.
The same goes for a HGV tractor unit with a drop axle.

Basically all tires need to be legal when raised or lowered.
It would be an prohibition and a fine for the driver.

I think one reason is ,the tire could blow out at any time

I was very surprised previous drivers failed to spot the obvious defect.

Tire defective
Had a puncture which can be seen where patch is
Then was later remoulded.
The patch was to small
Force of air pushed patch through puncture and lifted rubber casing which in turn caused tread to crack and later fall off
Tire was used quite a lot with no tread as can be seen by condition of damaged area.

I call ■■■■■■■■. Got stopped at a checkpoint, lift axle tyre was buggered. Was allowed on my way as I had three tonne on and on my way back to South Wales from London.
I know I shouldn’t feed the troll, so I will now let him have the last word, and claim he has won…

What can I say about 3 tons of sand ?

Anyway all you can do is what your supposed to do.

I believe the reckoning of V O S A is that if a lift axle is faulty or has a damaged pressurised tyre, or indeed no tire on a wheel then its not roadworthy.
Let’s say the tire might blow out at any time, which it may if damaged.
So the driver knows his tire is knackered and lifts the axle and returns to his depot.
What might happen.

The lift axle may drop , it could do.

At the end of the day the tire is defective and needs changing if seriously defective.
Maybe Sarge was lucky and met a dimwitted V O S A examiner.
All I can confirm is that in the picture shown V O S A said it needs changing before used on a public highway.
To protect both the driver and operator it’s advisable to follow the rules.
If a driver wants to run bent or is ignorant of the legal requirements that surround his job then that’s his problem until a 5 kilo chunk of rubber hits you, and then it’s your problem.

What’s the legal view on running with a defective tyre on a lift axle with the axle raised?

MikeDBristol:
What’s the legal view on running with a defective tyre on a lift axle with the axle raised?

No probs if there is no safety issue and going to repair it as soon as reasonably possible

To use it like that on an ongoing basis is likely to get a tug

ROG:

MikeDBristol:

No probs if there is no safety issue and going to repair it as soon as reasonably possible

Unfortunately the law allows no such thing as going for a tyre repair. Any tyre fitted to the vehicle should be legal.

Thanks, I think.

How about a defective rim on a lift axle? We have the small lift axle rims which are prone to getting hairline cracks, causing tyres to deflate.

If, hypothetically, you were miles from base, noticed your lift axle tyre deflated, in a customer yard or service area for example, you call out a fitter who discovers a cracked rim, but you have an empty trailer, could you legally drive it to get fixed?

Mike-C:

ROG:

MikeDBristol:

Unfortunately the law allows no such thing as going for a tyre repair. Any tyre fitted to the vehicle should be legal.

True but the law also allows for a reasonable situation to occur

MikeDBristol:
If, hypothetically, you were miles from base, noticed your lift axle tyre deflated, in a customer yard or service area for example, you call out a fitter who discovers a cracked rim, but you have an empty trailer, could you legally drive it to get fixed?

I would say no as it would be defective, which would be constantly putting incorrect pressures on the handling and use of the vehicle . much like saying none of my lights work but I only need to go 300 miles to get them fixed … I know that would be extreme but you know what excuse some drivers will say " its in daylight so crack on " :wink:

MikeDBristol:
Thanks, I think.

How about a defective rim on a lift axle? We have the small lift axle rims which are prone to getting hairline cracks, causing tyres to deflate.

Get the fitter to remove it from the hub and you can drive where you like with the wheel and tyre in the back.

nick2008:

MikeDBristol:

I would say no as it would be defective, which would be constantly putting incorrect pressures on the handling and use of the vehicle . much like saying none of my lights work but I only need to go 300 miles to get them fixed … I know that would be extreme but you know what excuse some drivers will say " its in daylight so crack on " :wink:

+1 And thats why there no allowance to drive with defective tyres to get them repaired.

there is no technical legal allowance to drive with a side light out but it is accepted if it does not cause a danger and gets repaired within a reasonable time

ROG:
there is no technical legal allowance to drive with a side light out but it is accepted if it does not cause a danger and gets repaired within a reasonable time

Its often accepted because most drivers say it was working when i set off. A defective tyre carries three points. A defective light carries none.