Running in...

Hi, I have been a lurker for a while but this is my first post.

I am just wondering how many of you trampers ran in today?? Would you prefer to finish late on a Friday or run in on a Saturday?

Cheers

CoopDog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t think anyone would choose running in on a Saturday over getting back in your own bed in a Friday…unless they hate being at home that is.

xichrisxi:
I don’t think anyone would choose running in on a Saturday over getting back in your own bed in a Friday…unless they hate being at home that is.

I quite often run in early on a Saturday morning rather than facing the M25 in the Friday evening rush hour even if I do have the time to get home.

If i can’t get back to the yard for teatime,i stay out.

I was also out last night, got back in yard for 10am this morning

markc140:
Hi, I have been a lurker for a while but this is my first post.

I am just wondering how many of you trampers ran in today?? Would you prefer to finish late on a Friday or run in on a Saturday?

Cheers

CoopDog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on what you get paid just for running in,guaranteed 4 hours or what hours you do

Harry Monk:

xichrisxi:

I quite often run in early on a Saturday morning rather than facing the M25 in the Friday evening rush hour even if I do have the time to get home.

Exactly this^^^^^^. I often park early on a Friday to avoid the ensuing carnage and set off early Sat morning. Finished for 7am, two days off, 10 hours guaranteed pay, what’s not to like?

It also depends of how far from your home your companies yard is, and of course what time you are likely to get back to the yard, I’ve travelled 3-3.5 hrs to a place of work,if you wont be getting back to the yard early evening then you may as well park up have a night out and run in early Saturday unless you are on your last card of course

Whats a night out ? for me its a few beers and a hangover thats the joys of fuel work

No way. I would move heaven and earth to get home on a Friday night. When I was tramping( never on digital) I would wind the clock on and all sorts to get home. The only time I would have a Friday night out was if I had been home a couple of nights in the week. I was always wide awake Friday evening, so why the ■■■■ would I park up and force myself to sleep only to get up at silly o clock and sat morning and run for 4 or 5 hours to be tired then by sat night which was my drinking time. ■■■■ that get home no matter the cost you’ve give job enough time if you are a Monday to Friday tramper.

I work tues - sat so running in would be Sunday , I made my feelings clear on this one and told them don’t bother paying me for running in Sunday , I’ll be having tues off instead , since then I’ve always got back ( at times just to be fair ) .
I’ve always said abuse me tues - sat , but get me back sat :exclamation: :exclamation: ,

tommy t:
It also depends of how far from your home your companies yard is, and of course what time you are likely to get back to the yard, I’ve travelled 3-3.5 hrs to a place of work,if you wont be getting back to the yard early evening then you may as well park up have a night out and run in early Saturday unless you are on your last card of course

No such thing as a last card now, you can start sunday dinner, and not have to start your weekly rest til the following Saturday dinner, if your hours are right :wink:

I’ll run in Saturday morning when it suits, minimum pay 5 hrs, allways try and be knocked of in under 4 hrs :smiley: best was 45minutes, was parked 25minutes away, and no one available to get me in Friday night :wink:

bugcos:
No way. I would move heaven and earth to get home on a Friday night. When I was tramping( never on digital) I would wind the clock on and all sorts to get home. The only time I would have a Friday night out was if I had been home a couple of nights in the week. I was always wide awake Friday evening, so why the [zb] would I park up and force myself to sleep only to get up at silly o clock and sat morning and run for 4 or 5 hours to be tired then by sat night which was my drinking time. [zb] that get home no matter the cost you’ve give job enough time if you are a Monday to Friday tramper.

I hear ya.
I don’t get up early when on a run in… because it ■■■■■ your saturday night up.
Valet the truck inside and out…then do the car,and start late on monday.
Friday is just another work day…right.
Well sunday is just another weekend day,so don’t bother starting me early on monday.

Depends on the wife for me, if she is working Sat morning she will be in bed by 9 (tired, so chances of coitus non excistent), so coming home Friday is pointless especially if its late.

Id rather park up by 6 a few hours from home have a couple of relaxing beers then get up in time for a little cruise home then get home tidy the house if needed, do the washing up, prepare dinner and greet my beloved with a nice smile and chilled glass of wine as she walks through the door.
Its all about the groundwork lads.

If my beloved isnt working Saturday I request a Friday finish and get home before 5pm Friday.

Hourses for courses but my work life tends to fit round my home life and I play it to suit.

That said sometimes its better to just park up Friday if the road network of our sceptered isle is knackered rather than stress about getting home. In this job things can go wrong so occasionally an unwanted run in is unavoidable but if its on the cards no point trying to dash like a nutter to get back as theres a risk your stressed state may leak into your private life causing a row with the missus and no one wants that.

As a wiseman once said, behind every angry woman theres a bloke who hasnt a clue what he’s done wrong.

DipperDave "That said sometimes its better to just park up Friday if the road network of our sceptered isle is knackered rather than stress about getting home. In this job things can go wrong so occasionally an unwanted run in is unavoidable but if its on the cards no point trying to dash like a nutter to get back as theres a risk your stressed state may leak into your private life causing a row with the missus and no one wants that. "

Totally agree. If I`m unsure whether or not I can make it back or not, I will often deliberately park up early. Better a calm hours drive in early on a Sat morn, than a 2 hours drive, checking “driving time remaining” every 30 seconds, in Friday traffic. Getting home calm Saturday is better than than getting home with frazzled nerves late Friday.

One thing that does knark me a bit is when your in that limbo zone of getting back Friday quite comfortable but just know a Sat run in is also possible. Usually ill set a time limit to reach a certain point and then make a final decision then.

Parking up 30mins from the yard is not uncommon, especially if ive started at 4 and only got till 5pm. Frustrating though as it means at some point during the day I havent tossed it off enough or failed to work my times out properly.

Things where different in my younger years though especially when the wife wanted kids, tachos where like frisbys then and I was home every Friday regardless. Some Fridays id get in and the wife would be in ‘Polo mode’ the moment my car pulled on the drive. [Polo mode = Pants off legs open]. Ahh the good old days. Ironically I dont even like minty sweets.

Then theres the flipside of your last job being cancelled and being back in the yard for dinnertime Friday when youve been planning on stopping out Friday night. However this dissapointment doesnt last long as its mental.

‘Ran in’ come 4pm :frowning: got sent up the other side of the country Friday afternoon. I don’t think they like me :smiley:

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

If I’m not North of Birmingham by about 3pm on a Friday then its usually parked up early and run in early Saturday morning.

I wouldn’t say I enjoy it, but its far from the worst thing that could happen to me :slight_smile:

Don’t tramp, but got sent to Glasgow on Thursday afternoon, it was always going to be tight, I was trying to make it to Longtown but got caught in the usual M6-16-21a mess & ended up at Carnforth, 3 hours away from Glasgow, making my Friday a Race against the Satnav all the way, alas got caught in the same jam going south 20-Knutsford so I ended up at Tamworth, nice big Co op & the sell Henry Weston’s [emoji6]
Ran in Saturday morning on nice open roads.

I only run in on a Saturday if something went wrong on a Friday. I’m a company man so if I get a puncture and miss the weighbridge Friday I’m not going to bring the load back to do Monday if I’m hours away.