running bent

13 May 2010 Freight Truck Drivers Accused Of Cheating Tachograph Regulations Stronger Penalties Required to Prevent Abuse

back
email
print
news archive
UK — Two simple facts of life. Firstly most people are resistant to change and secondly, bring in new protection or surveillance technology and someone will find a way to beat it. Both points are relevant to the Road Haulage Association’s (RHA) statement today regarding the abuse of current Hours of Service regulations by commercial vehicle drivers delivering and collecting freight shipments throughout the country.

We have often put the case to our US cousins that, although initially resisted by most freight drivers, the electronic recorders now mandatory in cabs across Europe, were eventually welcomed by many who realised widespread cheating of the old manual systems led to accidents and excessive working hours.

Now it seems that the latest generation of digital tachographs, designed to record irrefutably a driver’s speed and hours of service, are being circumvented by unscrupulous operators jamming the sensitive recording media with magnets making their recent driving history illegible.

The principal culprits are, unsurprisingly to most UK based drivers, foreign vehicles who are well versed in the black arts of illegal running. According to the RHA’s CEO Geoff Dunning the Central Motorway Police Group has revealed that 30% of non-UK registered trucks subjected to targeted checks in the first quarter of this year were found to be using a magnet.

He continues, “It is quite rare for British drivers to use magnets. The consequences are severe for both the driver, who is likely to lose his vocational licence and in all likelihood for the employer, who may lose his licence to operate trucks. In short, they may both be put out of the industry.”

For alien operators the situation however is quite different. “Penalties are nothing like adequate,” said Mr Dunning, “It is common for such foreign drivers to get away with a £200 fixed penalty, imposed at the roadside for the lesser offence of failing to keep a record. This is an inadequate deterrent.

“We understand why fixed penalties are used — it is easier than the alternative, which is to have a police officer arrest the driver and take him to court. That happens in some cases but not nearly enough. Even if the driver is brought to court and found guilty, the penalty from magistrates is often woefully inadequate for such a serious offence. “

Got something to say?We welcome any comments to this story, to be posted after a website editor’s review.

some foreigners are running bent and the law cant do a ■■■■ thing about it. how much is this guy getting paid to tell us what we all know already? :unamused:

this is what you are paying your RHA subs for :laughing:

Despite VOSA’s targetting of operators who are of interest to them, it would appear to be still relatively easy to run bent.
I have just decided to call it a day after forty years of self-employment.
I am unable to recall the last time I was pulled for a VOSA roadside check. OK I am certain that when I was checked on a VOSA ANPR camera I showed green. I have had no test failures against me or anything else for that matter, but if I had been so minded how long could I have run illegally had I wished to?
I was working out of Immingham and VOSA could be seen in the area at all times of the day and night, yet I never got stopped.
The only explanation I could give was that the lorry was new, had my name on, relatively clean and tidy.

Les zizis des routiers sont sympas

L’escargot:
Despite VOSA’s targetting of operators who are of interest to them, it would appear to be still relatively easy to run bent.

Down to money and resources - same as everthing else

scanny77:
this is what you are paying your RHA subs for :laughing:

A little off topic but many years ago when I first got my O licence I had a kindly letter from our local RHA man inviting me to join (like it was some exclusive club) and duly sent a man round to “see me”. My yard was muddy and my office was small hut next to my workshop, this guy turned up and it was clear from the look on his face after surveying my lot that he didn’t want my kind in their organisation but he would take me as a member (remember the fees?), I told him what to do and where to stick it, that was in 1986 and I have never used RHA/FTA or whoever, they are supposed to represent you at government level - what a load of testicles, I would clap my hands if they folded tomorrow.

brados:
[ I would clap my hands if they folded tomorrow.

watch out what you wish for…

roadtransport.com/Articles/2 … ndancy.htm