Running bent these days

DonutUK:
even to the extent of telling drivers they are expected to use magnets.

Brilliant, vosa/dvsa can kiss nuts, running bent is here to stay…:exclamation::mrgreen:

As one forum member thinks I should “belt up and concentrate on my own business” I will leave my post short

In the 90’s a lot
2000-2005 hardly
2005-2013 only by lack of concentration to tacho
2013 not at all, because there’s no need to

My opinion
OD I can understand occasionally
Tramper Friday nights yep
Employed NO tell them to get lost.

Just my opinion, no offence intended, back to my own business now.

I couldn’t believe that Limeyphil asked his employer whether he wanted him to run bent or legal. Every company I’ve worked at they’d show you the door.

What an arse. I guess it may not be long before he’s back in prison because he’s run bent for that long I doubt he even knows what the legal hours are.

In my experiences it’s the big firms that always say they run 100% legal that are still bending the rules…
I know of one firm where drivers are regularly running over there time and doing more than three 15hr shifts a week and get no extra pay they just do it because they think they have to.the driver trainer is always saying the firm does stuff by the book when in reality if vosa looked in to them I think they would take some action.

Conor:
I couldn’t believe that Limeyphil asked his employer whether he wanted him to run bent or legal. Every company I’ve worked at they’d show you the door.

What an arse. I guess it may not be long before he’s back in prison because he’s run bent for that long I doubt he even knows what the legal hours are.

Not so much now but that would have been a standard question when going for a job over here closely followed by “and who pays the fine?”
Things have tightened up massively now one reason being bosses unable to afford the fines and sure I’m not going to pay it so no I won’t run bent

I remember a full 25 tonne load of new plyers ,lead seals and rolls of tacho cable coming in to coopers metals in smethwick in the early 90s .

Just about 40 years driving a lorry and I could say for about the first 20 I probably ran ’ bent’ every day and hell it was a ■■■■ site more relaxing to work then than today.Tired,pull in
have a kip and make it up later…never ever drove tired. Dangerous nope, don’t think so…caught…now and again. Worth it…oh! yes. So why did I stop. Load up from Spain, you must be
there yesterday, they’re desperate, stuff’s urgent so I hammered through. Arrived at the delivery point, just you park over there driver we’ll tip you later and that was the last time I
ever ran bent.But as all us international drivers know French penalties today, well you might have to sell your house, France is skat and needs the money so it is just a bit too
dangerous to err in France/Spain etc.etc. but running straight… totally knackering, tiring, dangerous not in the least surprised so many accidents happen today.

^^^i imagine they didn’t find it hard shifting that on

Muckspreader:
As one forum member thinks I should “belt up and concentrate on my own business” I will leave my post short

In the 90’s a lot
2000-2005 hardly
2005-2013 only by lack of concentration to tacho
2013 not at all, because there’s no need to

My opinion
OD I can understand occasionally
Tramper Friday nights yep
Employed NO tell them to get lost.

Just my opinion, no offence intended, back to my own business now.

I find myself agreeing with you. It’s an unnerving experience :slight_smile:

Dan Punchard:
I remember a full 25 tonne load of new plyers ,lead seals and rolls of tacho cable coming in to coopers metals in smethwick in the early 90s .

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
These days,no chance,technology will catch you out.Quite a few on here have done it in the now distant past using quite ingenious methods :sunglasses:.Difficult to prove after the fact,but if caught in the act,no leg to stand on.Especially after foreign plod’s taste for a large coffee disappeared :wink:

nick2008:

Tipper Tom:
Then how can you berate me for running a few minutes over to get home once a year if that?

30 min ain a few mins is it an i’m talking 20 odd yrs ago things have changed a lot since

30 minutes compared to a 20 hour day is a few minutes.

Where would you draw the line? 5 minutes 10? I’m sorry but everyone has done something which VOSA wouldn’t be pleased about deliberately

Tipper Tom:

nick2008:

Tipper Tom:
Then how can you berate me for running a few minutes over to get home once a year if that?

30 min ain a few mins is it an i’m talking 20 odd yrs ago things have changed a lot since

30 minutes compared to a 20 hour day is a few minutes.

Where would you draw the line? 5 minutes 10? I’m sorry but everyone has done something which VOSA wouldn’t be pleased about deliberately

You would be better off leaving the card in and running over legitimately than risking getting caught with no card in or falsifying a record, especially if you have hardly ever done it. Criminal record territory over risking a daft fine. Rock and a hrad place at the time but trying to hide it is dealt with more seriosly offence wise. Hope that helps.

Exactly as above. If I was an hour from home on a Friday night, with a full wknd off to look forward to, say 60 hours, I would drive on with card in. Do a print out and sign the back of it with my reason and that would have to do them. If they can’t accept that then lock me up cause I don’t want to do it anymore.
I would actually love to be brought to court for it, I’d make some stink about it.

With regard to showing going over your time to get home on a Friday it all depends who stops you if VOSA you’ll probably be ok if plod no hope, speaking from experience 18 minutes over my spread over on arrival in yard total driving on the card 6 and 1/2 hours for the shift been away for 3 weeks and was off for 3 days equalled a £60 fine from a nice plod at Bury St Edmunds not interested in printouts or circumstances the law is the law although looking at him he was quite obviously bullied at school. Next time something similar happened I “hid it” any wonder?

Conor:

If you was going to realy be doing anything ilegal would you post about it on a internet forum.
If you think its going to impress gullible idiots on an internet forum you might say you do.
The penaltys for running bent now you may as well do some proper vilany and make some real money.

mazzer:
With regard to showing going over your time to get home on a Friday it all depends who stops you if VOSA you’ll probably be ok if plod no hope, speaking from experience 18 minutes over my spread over on arrival in yard total driving on the card 6 and 1/2 hours for the shift been away for 3 weeks and was off for 3 days equalled a £60 fine from a nice plod at Bury St Edmunds not interested in printouts or circumstances the law is the law although looking at him he was quite obviously bullied at school. Next time something similar happened I “hid it” any wonder?

You should have contested the ticket, if you just paid it, you have technically pleasd guilty. If you were not guilty of the offence ie through legitimate circumstances for which you had made a print out then you were not guilty. It might seem easier to pay the 60 notes than contest it but in paying you are accepting conviction of the offence, not just the financial penalty.

zippy!:

mazzer:

You should have contested the ticket, if you just paid it, you have technically pleasd guilty. If you were not guilty of the offence ie through legitimate circumstances for which you had made a print out then you were not guilty. It might seem easier to pay the 60 notes than contest it but in paying you are accepting conviction of the offence, not just the financial penalty.

Agree with you but to take the time off then travel to court in Bury St Edmunds equates to a lot more than £60 plod knows this too, I am sure if I had had a local address on my licence then I wouldn’t have got a fine as contesting it would have been a lot easier.

mazzer:

zippy!:

mazzer:

Agree with you but to take the time off then travel to court in Bury St Edmunds equates to a lot more than £60 plod knows this too, I am sure if I had had a local address on my licence then I wouldn’t have got a fine as contesting it would have been a lot easier.

Real shame this but know where you are coming from. Fact is, the CPS could have chucked it out before it got to court depending upon what your mitigation was. I can’t imagine how many people end up in this position.

There was a time when vosa, The police and cps were only interested in catching those that were breaking the law for profit, Not those that bent the rules to suit a particular situation.
Driving for 11 hours every so often to get home was simply frowned upon. The silly 90 hour rule was ignored by most, Would someone park up on Thursday night and not move until midnight sunday because they’d done 90 hours driving and not been home for a month? No they wouldn’t, They’d just crack on for a couple more hours and go home to their wife and kids.
But now it seems that everyone has wimped out and drive so straight that they are prosecuting and fineing people for minor discrepencies.
The more people bend over and accept every bit of legislation, The more legislation they will put on us in order to catch us out and gain more revenue. By doing this they are branding lorry drivers as criminals that put other road users at risk, When it’s legislation itself that risks everyones safety.
I know when i’m safe to drive. I don’t believe i’ve ever put anyone at risk.
Safety comes first, Not legislation.

I would not even think about it these days! As has been said already its far too easy to get caught now! When I was younger and running in Europe I did all sorts, including leaving Seville on Monday morning and arriving in Munich on Wednesday afternoon! If I had been caught I would probably still be locked up now. Things you do when you are young and stupid, and I’m sure people are still doing it!