Running a Laptop with an Ext Mouse

‘longy thinkgy pluggy’ That could of been a serial plug, if it had pins. If it didnt and just looked like a rectangle hole, this is USB. Usually they work fine. Plug and play.

‘roundy thingy pluggy’ if that is small with pins then it is called a PS2 connection. Nothing to do with the games console, but years ago IBM started selling their machines with these connectors for keyboard and mice, differentiated merely by the colours :frowning: Handy!

Windows 98 can be a bit fussy with these but if you’re running Second Edition you shouldn’t have any problems. I prefer that to XP or ME, and rarely touch 2000 these days. Linux seems to recognise these ok though these days :slight_smile:

You’ve got it working though :slight_smile: The trackballs and pads on lappys can be a bit of a pain though :frowning:

Windows 98SE was absolute crap ! I binned it because it wouldn’t recognise the 3dfx Voodoo 3 2000 graphics card I used to have, went back to 95. Running “Longhorn” at the moment, its brilliant !

I have previously chosen not to pass Win98se for the simple reason it did exactly what I wanted!

Recently I have been given a copy of XP Pro which is running on the other partition of this Linux machine, and I prefer the Linux one.

Besides I’ve invested a lot of time and effort into 98 so I am sticking with it. Oh, and have you tried getting XP on a P100 with 32mb ram■■?

Cheers

smeserver:
IOh, and have you tried getting XP on a P100 with 32mb ram■■?

Fair point !

Says it all really, :imp: but how do I get it to work?

The mouse is plugged into the port. The Laptop does NOT auto-detect at switch on. I’ve looked at both the control panel and the BIOS, but can’t see anything obvious.

Running on Win 98.

Any suggestions please… :smiley:

it wont auto detect, it will just work, check bios for ps2 settings, if nothing there then id guess you have a faulty mobo.

As Gurner says it doesn’t get detected via the ‘New Hardware Found’ thing it just seems to work. I don’t use a mouse on the laptop in the truck but do at home, I just plkug it in and away it goes. While it is plugged in the touch pad and pointer also still work, doesn’t matter which you use.

Have you tried that mouse in another PC to check it is not a fault with it?

Thanks both.

I was trying to use an old mouse with a ‘longy thinkgy pluggy’. :laughing: I then tried it with a newer mouse with a ‘roundy thingy pluggy’ and it worked. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ain’t technology GREAT!!!

Now to get the scanner working… :smiley:

Krankee:
I then tried it with a newer mouse with a ‘roundy thingy pluggy’ and it worked.

That reminds me of a week or so ago when I got one of these ‘gucci’ illuminated keyboards for Xmas. I got to the back of the ‘tower’, checked the plug matched and put it it in. The keyboard lit up nicely but none of the keys could get a response!!!

Over an hour later, how silly did I feel when I realised I’d plugged the keyboard into the mouse socket!! :blush:

brummie:

smeserver:
IOh, and have you tried getting XP on a P100 with 32mb ram■■?

Fair point !

Although I’ve now upgraded :slight_smile: XP/Mandrake/98 working well over two machines here now :slight_smile: