Runaway Turbo's

I am wondering if anyone has had a problem with “Turbo Runaway”, I am sure you will all know what I mean by this. What I would like to know is, Is this a problem, that could do with a solution to prevent it happening or in any case a device that will stop it when it does happen.
I would appreciate any comments.
Don

Once in 45 yrs of driving, started running on the oil from the engine and scared the crap out of me, when the engine finally shuddered to a stop I thought that will never start again. I got dragged of the M6 into Coventry.
The next morning the replaced the turbo and of it went as good as gold.

The engine was a ■■■■■■■ that was 6 months old, it certainly took all the rough edges off the crank. :laughing:
I think any solution you could come up with to stop that happening would be welcomed, even if it was just to stop the driver soiling the seat.

Fenman, thanks for you response. Yes it is a very scary experience. I run a workshop repair bussiness and it has happened to me on about 3 occasions in the workshop. Switching off the engine does no good and the engine just runs away at full revs untill it runs out of oil, ussualy resulting in a con rod through the block.
I have a way of cutting the engine and it could be fitted to any vehicle at a rough cost of £200.
What I am trying to establish is, is there a call for it, before I develop it further?
Any comments welcome!
Don

I’ve had it twice in a workshop and both times no damage done as we manage to stall/choke the engine. Don’t know if you know but some vehicle makers have already made a device standard fit to some vehicles its like a little throttle butterfly on the air system what starves the engine of air in case of runaway

K5, thanks for the info, I didn’t know that. I don’t work on large commercials. I have seen some serious damage done to engines when this happens. The device I am working on would be an add on / after market, and would kill the engine with a push of a button.
Just trying to establish if it would be something that fleet operators would be interested in.
Don

Hmm, had runaways or ‘dieseling’ as we call it happen on a few occasions. Scariest was a 3116 CAT engine that went doolally due to failed turbocharger bearings. It was in a 750 CFM compressor so not much chance of stalling it! I was only an apprentice at the time and it put the ■■■ right up me to the point where me and another lad legged it after about 2 mins of trying to shut it off…one of the ‘old heads’ calmly wandered up to it with a Co2 fire extinguisher and fired it straight into the air intake. Stopped her dead (a method I have used a couple of times now :laughing: )

There is a device already on the market called the Chalwyn valve, these are a common fitment onto vehicles and plant working in refineries (where there is a possibility of the engine drawing in flammable gasses and running away)