Rumour or truth? One for those in the know

Apparently transport Companies are to be now responsible for the eye sight of drivers by conducting regular tests. This is going to be a new piece of legistation coming out soon.

I heard a driver talking about it.

Is this rumour or a fact?

Co-incidentally, our Company is conducting its 3 monthly license check and, for the first time, as part of this test we are asked to test the driver’s eye-sight by asking them to read a number plate from the minimum required distance (the same distance as a learner driver is asked to read a numberplate prior to taking the practical exam).

The driver I talked to (and he aint one who normally makes things up) was not aware of us testing for eye-sight.

Looking forward to clarification from some one in the know.

Mark :smiley:

Not heard about this myself but I think it’s a good idea.

While I was training drivers on the SAFED scheme ealier this year I came across 1 driver who couldn’t read the reg plate at the required distance. He was in fact due to retire in within a couple of weeks, but imagine if a driver was in between medicals when his eyesight deteriorated, the effects could be fatal if the problem wasn’t picked up. So yes, I for one think it would be a good idea. :slight_smile:

Not heard that one myself but if it isn’t true I’m sure it will soon attain Urban Myth status. :wink: :smiley:

:open_mouth: According to T n D a few months back this applies for people like office staff who use VDUs all day but not drivers. However does it fall under the purvue of the medicals for night drivers thingy :laughing: :laughing:

or just on a Tuesday if your name begins with a Q and you are wearing Hivis underpants :wink:

Will put it down as rumour for the moment then :wink:

It was just strange that this driver mentioned it not having the knowledge that our Company is starting such tests next week :open_mouth:

Well if it turns out to be the next myth, he can have the claim to fame for that one. Me is merely an accessory to the “crime” :wink:

possibly coming in as company policy for those that want to rather than law, I would think - just my opinion

interlog:
I heard a driver talking about it.

Must be true then.

Probably part of the H&S policy. The Health and Safety at Work Act requires companies to:

…make a suitable and sufficient assessment of

1. the risks to the health and safety of their employees to which they are exposed whilst they are at work, and
  2. the risks to the health and safety of persons not in their employment arising out of or in connection with the conduct by him of his undertaking

Depending on interpretation, the employer has a responsibility to make sure that the risks posed by their employees to themselves and other members of the public are reduced wherever practicable. This could include ensuring that drivers driving on company business (like truck drivers) have valid driving licenses, and sufficiently good eyesight.

Our company has brought in the “Permit to Drive” scheme where they make a risk assessment based on the number of miles we do, the sort of roads we drive on, our accident history, etc. They also insist that you have an eyesight test every two years (although the company pays for it). If you don’t submit to the scheme, you can’t drive on company business.

Basically, if someone is driving on business and has an accident because their eyesight is defective, the employer might be held partially liable.

So, partly down to law, partly down to how the company chooses to comply with the law.

The VDU thing is also down to H&S - using computer screens for long periods can cause problems with eyesight, so companies are required by law to provide regular eyesight tests to detect any problems early on, so that they can be dealt with. In this case, it’s usually up to the employee whether they choose to have a test - by offering the facility, the company has done enough to comply with the law.

Recalling a recent post on here about a Hanbury Davies driver and a certain activity he was indulging in while at the wheel, and given that according to an old wives tale it affects your eyesight, this could indeed have a ring of truth to it. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Coffee,

In all honesty, some of our drivers do behave like that activity at times.

Hmmm… perhaps it is true then :laughing: