Rules And Regs For Truck Used For Transporting My Own Goods

Hi everyone.

I am in the process of buying a 14t gross truck for the transportation of my racing car. It will only be for my own use and have my own car/tools etc in it. I’ve a couple of questions as to the rules and regulations for doing this:

1. Is it a general paperwork exercise to change the V5 from HGV to PHGV?

2. I understand that I have to use the tacho which I’ve no problem with, but what is the definition of “other activities”? For example, if I do my normal, non driving day job for 8 hours on a Friday then hop in the lorry and head off for a 4 hour drive to wherever I’m racing that weekend, do I need to include the 8 hours of my day job in the calculation for my driving hours etc?

3. Is it still relevant to have “Not For Hire Or Reward” on the side of the vehicle?

Any help would be gratefully recieved :smiley:

2 - other work done on the same day or in the same week as any eu regs driving must be officially recorded so that includes all the mon to fri work

If you started on fri at 0800 then you must be on rest by 2300

blackford88:
Hi everyone.

I am in the process of buying a 14t gross truck for the transportation of my racing car. It will only be for my own use and have my own car/tools etc in it. I’ve a couple of questions as to the rules and regulations for doing this:

1. Is it a general paperwork exercise to change the V5 from HGV to PHGV?

2. I understand that I have to use the tacho which I’ve no problem with, but what is the definition of “other activities”? For example, if I do my normal, non driving day job for 8 hours on a Friday then hop in the lorry and head off for a 4 hour drive to wherever I’m racing that weekend, do I need to include the 8 hours of my day job in the calculation for my driving hours etc?

3. Is it still relevant to have “Not For Hire Or Reward” on the side of the vehicle?

Any help would be gratefully recieved :smiley:

I don’t believe you will be able to use it as a PHGV if you are carrying goods, even though they’re your own.
Assuming it was a PHGV then you wouldn’t need a tacho. As far as i can make out you’ll need a restricted O licence to carry your own goods, and you’ll need to abide fully by the tachograph laws and that means recording all hours.

Thank you for your replies.

So, I’ll have to have restricted O’ Licence even though the vehicle is used for my hobby only, not for any business purpose at all?

Thank you

blackford88:

So, I’ll have to have restricted O’ Licence even though the vehicle is used for my hobby only, not for any business purpose at all?

Thank you

Yes thats my understanding of it.

Mike-C:

blackford88:

Thank you

Yes thats my understanding of it.

Not mine …

A restricted O licence is needed when commercially transporting your own goods

I rang VOSA today and spoke to a very nice lady who said that as it wasn’t for any financial gain and I was doing it for a hobby and as an amateur then I wouldn’t need any kind of operators licence.

If I was being paid or were sponsored in some way then it would be different and I may have to write to them for a decision, but I’m not that lucky I’m afraid! :slight_smile:

in that case as i understand it you’ll come under domestic regs… someone please feel free to correct me if im wrong?

qwakers:
in that case as i understand it you’ll come under domestic regs… someone please feel free to correct me if im wrong?

EU regs

There is no exemption from EU regs for what the OP is doing

No ‘O’ licence needed because it’s private use

Tacho is needed even for private use with vehicle over 7.5t

As already said all the other work you do in the week you drive will need to be recorded and watch the weekly rest requirements

Many thanks for all your help :smiley: