Rugby Services.

Roymondo:

yourhavingalarf:
What a complete…

Cash cow parking is. Multiply that by the number of spaces/extra parking near pumps etc (let’s say 50 and average £31 per lorry) and hey presto, £1,550 every night/£565,750 a year for doing absolutely nothing.

I can’t think of any other country where I’ve had to pay to park. USA, Australia, Canada, Europe…all free.

But how much are the business rates on a site of that size in such a prime location?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

And several million to buy the land in the first place.

Roymondo:
But how much are the business rates on a site of that size in such a prime location?

I have no idea…

What they pay. What I do know is the UK is the only place I can think of that charges lorries to park overnight. In return for that £32 they offer no security or liability whatsoever. They also profit from third party car parking firms (known by the large majority as blood sucking parasites) extorting money from motorists over minor infringements.

trucken:

Whilst that’s true, I’m confident that Moto didn’t have to go cap in hand to the bank for the money. They’re not a fledging start up company. I wouldn’t be surprised if the initial land purchase was possibly less than their boss gets in share options and salary. This is just an expansion of business for them and involves little to no risk.

Just like the Severn crossing’s have been made free crossings because thay have covered their costs, MSAs should be free parking once they have also achieved profitabilty.

Hate these places, unfortunately when we’re loaded we have no choice. Even worse when Tossco, Steady Slowfart or other moron who can’t read plonk themselves in the ab-load bay (if there’s even one there) fortunately we park for free at least. When am empty, I’d rather a nice quiet ind estate anyday. Go for a nice walk or cycle ride then, instead of being sat bored in some rank, ■■■■ soaked, stinking s**thole with night drivers shunting galore and fridges going.

yourhavingalarf:

trucken:

Whilst that’s true, I’m confident that Moto didn’t have to go cap in hand to the bank for the money. They’re not a fledging start up company. I wouldn’t be surprised if the initial land purchase was possibly less than their boss gets in share options and salary. This is just an expansion of business for them and involves little to no risk.

You are indeed having a larf. Ken McMeikan’s salary and bonuses are I’m pretty sure under £1 million (he was on a total package of around £660k when he was in charge at Greggs), while the cost of Rugby Services (including the buildings etc, obviously) has been stated to be in excess of £40 million. But that’s irrelevant anyway - However many millions they had to spend to acquire that site could have been earning money for the company elsewhere regardless of whether it was already in their bank or had to be borrowed in the first place.

Your comparison with other countries is largely explained by just how densely this country is populated - England has four times as many people per sq km as France, twice as many as Germany. You can’t fail to notice the moment you drive off the ferry or train that (other than in major cities) there is so much more space - much of it unused. As a result, land values (and so the cost of simply owning a plot of land) are much lower in those places.

Roymondo:
You are indeed having a larf. Ken McMeikan’s salary and bonuses are I’m pretty sure under £1 million (he was on a total package of around £660k when he was in charge at Greggs), while the cost of Rugby Services (including the buildings etc, obviously) has been stated to be in excess of £40 million. But that’s irrelevant anyway - However many millions they had to spend to acquire that site could have been earning money for the company elsewhere regardless of whether it was already in their bank or had to be borrowed in the first place.

Your comparison with other countries is largely explained by just how densely this country is populated - England has four times as many people per sq km as France, twice as many as Germany. You can’t fail to notice the moment you drive off the ferry or train that (other than in major cities) there is so much more space - much of it unused. As a result, land values (and so the cost of simply owning a plot of land) are much lower in those places.

That’s a fair…

Point, I did no research into Mr McMeikan’s remuneration package.

I’m confident Moto invested what ever they did in order to make a profit, they haven’t built the place as good samaritans. I’m also confident, that what ever they paid initially to purchase the land, build the site and then run it will net them a good return on their initial outlay.

The point remains that Moto along with other MSA operators charge very high fees and offer nothing in return for those charges.

yourhavingalarf:
The point remains that Moto along with other MSA operators charge very high fees and offer nothing in return for those charges.

And that ^^^^ is the crux of the matter! Nothing in return. Where is the incentive to part with £30 when you are as likely, if not more likely to fall victim of lorry crime in an MSA as you are in a lay-by/ industrial estate?

I don’t begrudge Moto or any other such parking providers making a profit, they are a business after all, but is it too much to ask for a constant roving patrol on foot of these parking areas?

I think a grasp on reality needs to be got. There are 100 HGV spaces on that site. Let’s be generous and assume 80% occupancy by paying customers. 80 x £25 (that’s the pre-VAT parking charge) comes to a nice round £2k for the night. To provide 7 nights a week cover for 12 hours a night is going to require at least two full-time security staff (realistically more than that, but I’ll stick with two - you’re certainly never going to approach full coverage with only one guard). Employment costs (by the time you have taken account of wages, employer NI, Employer pension contributions, sickness/holiday cover etc) are in the range of £13-£15 quid per hour minimum. So that’s £300-£350 every night as a direct cost to the business with little or no actual benefit (As I understand it, most MSAs are already rammed every night, so it’s not as if they are going to attract more business by offering this additional service).

Shared/roaming patrols? As much use as a chocolate fireguard as the scrotes simply wait for the patrol to drive off to the next location before commencing their “work”. Plus of course you’ve now got to factor in the cost of providing and maintaining a vehicle (or vehicles) for use by the roving patrols.

Bottom line is that MSAs charge for parking because they can and enough hauliers/drivers are prepared to pay. Simple supply and demand economics.

PCSO’s would be cheaper. You’d know that no doubt.

yourhavingalarf:

Roymondo:
£30 HGV parking - or £32 to include a £10 food voucher according to their website.

What a complete…

Cash cow parking is. Multiply that by the number of spaces/extra parking near pumps etc (let’s say 50 and average £31 per lorry) and hey presto, £1,550 every night/£565,750 a year for doing absolutely nothing.

I can’t think of any other country where I’ve had to pay to park. USA, Australia, Canada, Europe…all free.

Nope there’s quite a lot of places in Europe that charge now esp the autohofs in Germany

robthedog:
Nope there’s quite a lot of places in Europe that charge now esp the autohofs in Germany

That’s also…

A fair point. It was different when I was driving over 't water.

I wonder where the Autohof’s got their business plan from?

‘Zose stupid English drivers und zere bosses are crazy enough to pay every night to park in ■■■■ stinking lorry parks for over 35e a night! Ve must do ze same’.

Harry Monk:

pierrot 14:
Where is it ?

M6 J1.

Is it a MOTO ?

robthedog:

Harry Monk:

pierrot 14:
Where is it ?

M6 J1.

Is it a MOTO ?

Yep

New pastures

the maoster:

How? PCSO’s are paid a fair bit more than the minimum wage so typical of the security industry.

yourhavingalarf:

robthedog:

That’s also…

A fair point. It was different when I was driving over 't water.

I wonder where the Autohof’s got their business plan from?

‘Zose stupid English drivers und zere bosses are crazy enough to pay every night to park in ■■■■ stinking lorry parks for over 35e a night! Ve must do ze same’.

The service stations are free but as said most truckstop kind of places you pay. Some though I paid 10 euro to park, got 10 euro for restaurant and funnily enough a main meal was 10 euro. So they got a few euros from me for beer and shower.

Roymondo:

the maoster:

How? PCSO’s are paid a fair bit more than the minimum wage so typical of the security industry.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: “Typical of the security industry “. Go ask any of the Cordant guys their hourly wage. Given that Cordant are one of the, if not the largest suppliers of security staff I’d imagine that their wage is typical of the security industry.

robthedog:

yourhavingalarf:

Roymondo:
£30 HGV parking - or £32 to include a £10 food voucher according to their website.

What a complete…

There’s a massive difference between paying for an Autohof and a UK MSA, the last Autohof I stopped in was 10 euro for parking on ordering my dinner the price of the meal dropped from 14 euro to 4 euro on production of my parking ticket, a freshly cooked meal and parked in secure area with a 6ft fence and electric gate you cannot compare the two

the maoster:
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: “Typical of the security industry “. Go ask any of the Cordant guys their hourly wage. Given that Cordant are one of the, if not the largest suppliers of security staff I’d imagine that their wage is typical of the security industry.

£8.91 per hour hereabouts, according to their own website…

Roymondo:
Popped in there for a 15 minute coffee break this morning. Fence panels opposite the forecourt already damaged (but still standing) in two places.

Spoke too soon! Today I notice two more sections of fence damaged. At this rate the whole lot will be down in a matter of weeks…

Roymondo:

Roymondo:
Popped in there for a 15 minute coffee break this morning. Fence panels opposite the forecourt already damaged (but still standing) in two places.

Spoke too soon! Today I notice two more sections of fence damaged. At this rate the whole lot will be down in a matter of weeks…

If they paint…

Them black and yellow, they’ll all be over before Friday lunch.

I’ve been in. Massive Greggs!! SCRUM ON IN! has been put on top of the entrance, nice play on words. 10-15 cars charging on the many electric bays. Clean and tidy an outside Pret Manger that’s got plenty of scope. Huge canti lever roof ideal for outside eating. The only downside I could see was all the panels around the HGV area being knocked over.