Rubbish TomTom

After 6 trouble free uneventful years with a Tom Tom GO500, my christmas present last xmas was to ‘‘update’’ to an XXL IQ Routes, nice big screen and downloads all the speed scameras and pump prices.
Wished I hadn’t bothered, it takes it an age to plan a route, and coupled with long spells of no satellite reception makes it tiresome to use.
Its latest party trick was to crash after an update, then refuse to work at all. I’ve spent most of the weekend with no joy following the highly descriptive troubleshooting guides on Tom Tom’s web site, which smacks of expected frequent problems, and I’m back to the GO500 again today :angry: . There seems to be plenty of bile about TT products ont tinternet, anyone on here had trouble :question:

[zb], double post… [zb]ing computers :imp:

been using tom tom xxl uk and europe for a year with no problems,i think you"ve been unlucky and copped a wrong un.it replaced a go 520 which was also fine,just had problems with hands free phone at times

Had a TomTom for the past 3 years or so. User friendly but always took an age to readjust itself after I’d told her to go away, and went a different route.

Just bought myself a Navigon 40 Premium Live. Not as user friendly as the TomTom but a ■■■■ sight more responsive. Only problem I’ve found is that it comes with a super-duper designed holder, which is only any good in a car - no use nor ornament on the flat screen of a lorry! :open_mouth: :unamused:

Stan

Ive just come back into the game after twenty years and use my iphone for the final detail which i commit to memory and an atlas to get me within a mile or two, am I the only one still doing it like this . i wouldnt trust a tom tom totake me the right way. or do they plan for restrictions?

Big Joe:
[zb], double post… [zb]ing computers :imp:

Maybe its time for a paper map :laughing: :laughing:

oldsid:
Ive just come back into the game after twenty years and use my iphone for the final detail which i commit to memory and an atlas to get me within a mile or two, am I the only one still doing it like this . i wouldnt trust a tom tom totake me the right way. or do they plan for restrictions?

There are sat navs out that cater for drivers of large vehicles, you enter your vehicle weight, axle weights, height, width, length and speed and the sat nav avoids all known obstacles, its not 100% accurate but if you use your head then you should have no problems. I use google maps on my iphone as well to check where my collection/drop is, and then work out the best way to approach so I don’t have to blindside in etc I then reprogram the tomtom so that it takes me the way I want to go and not the way it wants to go.

been using tomtom for about 6 years and never had any major problem that wasnt easily fixed
If you can connect it to your pc and and look for a file that ends with a .cfg extension and delete it, then restart the tomtom
The file you delete contains your personal settings on the tomtom, things like map colours, voice settings and other settings you have changed from the default settings when it was new. When you restart the tomtom,a new file will be created and the tomtom will be back to its default settings
If you havent already done a backup of the tomtom, you should do one before deleting this file

I also have the same model unit ,you must plug it into tom tom home and download the "GPS quickfix update " regularly to help it lock onto satellites quickly, i do mine every couple of days ,it never takes more than 5 - 10 seconds to find a destination.

Also make sure you have created a back up on tom tom home .

oldsid:

Thats exactly what I do. I might of been to some place nearby, there might even be a sign when you get there.
TBH though, I had a company issued Garmin when I worked in DK. Very handy for ETA’s and random addresses. Just a bit pessimistic about hold ups en-route.

Al

bubsy06:

oldsid:

There are sat navs out that cater for drivers of large vehicles, you enter your vehicle weight, axle weights, height, width, length and speed and the sat nav avoids all known obstacles, its not 100% accurate but if you use your head then you should have no problems. I use google maps on my iphone as well to check where my collection/drop is, and then work out the best way to approach so I don’t have to blindside in etc I then reprogram the tomtom so that it takes me the way I want to go and not the way it wants to go.

Thanks for reply, the combination I,m using is working up to now and compared to how I used to doit by following my nose seems very accurate!!

AlexWignall:

oldsid:

Thats exactly what I do. I might of been to some place nearby, there might even be a sign when you get there.
TBH though, I had a company issued Garmin when I worked in DK. Very handy for ETA’s and random addresses. Just a bit pessimistic about hold ups en-route.

Al

Nice to know when others do the same very reasssuring :smiley:

roadrunner:
I also have the same model unit ,you must plug it into tom tom home and download the "GPS quickfix update " regularly to help it lock onto satellites quickly, i do mine every couple of days ,it never takes more than 5 - 10 seconds to find a destination.

Also make sure you have created a back up on tom tom home .

you really dont need "GPS quickfix update " if your using the tomtom on a regular basis and it has nothing to do with finding a destination

205:
been using tomtom for about 6 years and never had any major problem that wasnt easily fixed
If you can connect it to your pc and and look for a file that ends with a .cfg extension and delete it, then restart the tomtom
The file you delete contains your personal settings on the tomtom, things like map colours, voice settings and other settings you have changed from the default settings when it was new. When you restart the tomtom,a new file will be created and the tomtom will be back to its default settings
If you havent already done a backup of the tomtom, you should do one before deleting this file

Mine seems to be really screwed up, after it crashed it became some sort of electronic vegetable, then after several resets it did start again…for 20 minutes, then crashed and resumed vegetive mode :neutral_face:
I’ve followed all the advice on the TomTom website, all the way down to copying the main map file to the computer then deleting it from the TT, but no joy :frowning: . Currently doing a re-format of the TT internal drive which is taking an age,(36 hours and not even halfway :open_mouth: ) beginning to wonder if it would be faster doing the re-format with DOS :confused: [zb]ing computers.

Try phoning tomtom,it happened to mine and I phoned the technical helpline up and he emailed me a program and instructions how to restart it.
I thought I’d buggered up my truck nav sd card up.

did you have alot of ‘favorites’ saved on it cos there’s a limit to how many you can save, think it’s around 40 to 50, and having to many causes problems
When you get it formated ( i would cancel what your doing now and do a couple of quick formats on it), have a search for ’ tomtom clear flash tool ’ , download it and run it 3 or 4 times with the tomtom connected to your pc

Got it sorted in the end.
After following all the instructions from the tech dep at TomTom with no joy, they sent me a box to post it back foc, it went on mon and yesterday I received a replacement :sunglasses:

I had a laptop with autoroute on it that I saved all my main routes, I used paper maps too and the satnav was working on the screen. It does give very accurate ETA and can get you to land within 2 or 3 hundred metres of the delivery point.

I still looked in the paper map or laptop to see the whole picture. The dog ate my laptop so I am back to paper maps, although the car I use has factory fitted TomTom which is still working fine