RTWTD - should I worry about it?

I have noticed that many drivers are showing concerns over the RTWTD and getting infringements for non compliance so I thought this info might be useful.

The EU Parliament decided that all states MUST introduce this Directive so the UK Govt had to comply and did so by making rules for it then giving the responsibilty of enforcing it to VOSA
Nowhere does it say that VOSA MUST enforce it but the UK Govt have complied with the EU so job sorted :smiley:

Over the past 5+ years VOSA have not brought any prosecutions for the RTWTD - SEE THIS LINK

VOSA do not have any sanctions for the RTWTD on their JAN 2011 SANCTION LIST

Many companies give drivers infringements for non compliance of the RTWTD but many other companies simply do not bother about it at all

Those infringements are NOT infringements for the tacho regs and that should be made clear when they are given by the company and accepted by the driver

It is unlikely that those RTWTD infringements will follow the driver to any other job as there is no mechanism for doing so

With the above info should a driver be concerned about the RTWTD? - that is up to each individual driver to decide …

I’ll let the moderators of this forum decide whether this is factual enough to be approved.

So, at last, the UK agencies have done what the southern and eastern EU members have been doing for years with EU rules; say yes in public and then quietly ignore them.

What a pointless waste of man hours and paper, all those companies and agencies busy checking drivers tachos for WTD infringements, and producing drivers handbooks stuffed with apparently pointless WTD information?

Although no one has been prosecuted, it is still a law that should be known about and not ignored totally.

VOSA says it carried out 565 visits to operators’ premises in the third quarter of 2010, resulting in advice being given to 79 operators.

It is very difficult or nigh on impossible to do the RTD checks at the roadside. The easiest thing is to follow the 561/2006 regulations and the RTD should follow on. I cant believe anyone at work doesn’t stop for a cup of coffee or a crap every 6 hours, it didn’t need new legislation.

I don’t see any point making a special thread because this has been written about dozens of times.

The first prosecution will result in a hoard of angry men with spears looking for this thread and ultimately ROG

Wheel Nut:
I don’t see any point making a special thread because this has been written about dozens of times.

Neither do I. People will either bother with it or not and whether there are or have been prosecutions will have little to do with that. I have never bothered with it from the start, I just stick with the hours regs, and that won’t change even if they start taking more severe action.

If you look back at ROG’s posts you will notice that now and again he learns something new then fixates on it, this is the latest. The last one was, I believe, the back to back weekly rest thing for periods of at least 69 hours, he shoehorned that into any thread he could after learning about it and in fact it made an appearance at the weekend. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Just to add to what’s been said, whether VOSA choose to regulate the working time regulations or not doesn’t mean that drivers can choose to ignore it, as I’ve pointed out before if your employer chooses to comply with the working time regulations, you will either comply or move on, and possibly not through your own choice :wink:

tachograph:
Just to add to what’s been said, whether VOSA choose to regulate the working time regulations or not doesn’t mean that drivers can choose to ignore it, as I’ve pointed out before if your employer chooses to comply with the working time regulations, you will either comply or move on, and possibly not through your own choice :wink:

You are going to mention purple underwear aren’t you?

Wheel Nut:

tachograph:

Sorry that’s too cryptic for me, care to explain ?

tachograph:

Wheel Nut:

tachograph:

Someone mentioned if your boss wanted you to wear purple underwear, that is his wish, if you want to work there.

I thought it was you! :blush:

:laughing:

Not guilty, definitely not my attitude nor ever likely to be :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue:

The point I was making is that an employer can insist on you obeying the regulations, even if no-one else cares about them :wink:

Wheel Nut:

tachograph:

Wheel Nut:

tachograph:

Someone mentioned if your boss wanted you to wear purple underwear, that is his wish, if you want to work there.

I thought it was you! :blush:

That was me in making the point that some companies want you to do certain things even when not a legal requirement, download your card every shift for instance, and if it is your desire to work there then you have to do it.