RTITB HIAB

I have recently completed my HIAB training and I have a little question regarding any restrictions, a friend of mine is under the impression I will only be able to operate a HIAB loader upto the same weight as the one I did my training on. Is this correct or is it a load of rest room BS.

yep a load of BS, the restrictions come with what’s attached at the end i.e my cpcs says Lorry Loader-Hook

on that one I asked the trainer about the attachments and I can use any attachment and or remote with only requiring familiarisation on the job (no further training required) maybe the difference between CPCS, RTITB, ALLUMI and all the others.

you’re probably right, we only have cpcs as that seems to be more widely accepted on site except for BAM who have invented their own ticket

My brother did the almi test on a 20t/m 2 years ago and they limited him to that,i did the cpcs in 2002 on a 2.3t/m and iam not limited on size except to a hook.

Allmi has capacity limits on their tickets

upto 4 t/m
4 to 20 tm
and over 20 t/m

and then there is also different codes for attachments

Thanks all I think I will have to wait for my licence to come through, although I wasnt informed about any restrictions during my training and that id assume would be important lol

How much did this cost if you don’t mine me asking, I’d like to do it.

£354 for the two day course obviously it depends on the company as some have to hire the vehicle in to do the course also I was lucky enough to do it on my own.

Andydisco:

upto 4 t/m
4 to 20 tm
and over 20 t/m

Interesting point here with Allmi.

I had cause to phone them because I turned up on an assignment at a builders merchants to discover that the crane was a “hook and straps” as opposed to a brick grab which I trained on.

I called to check the legality’s and was told, and I quote

“There is no restriction on using any type of attachment, however if anything went wrong we would say you were only tested on X attachment”

(This was direct from Allmi office)

Semtex:
I had cause to phone them because I turned up on an assignment at a builders merchants to discover that the crane was a “hook and straps” as opposed to a brick grab which I trained on.

“There is no restriction on using any type of attachment, however if anything went wrong we would say you were only tested on X attachment”

So did the brick grab you trained with not have hook for slings then?

Saaamon:

Semtex:

So did the brick grab you trained with not have hook for slings then?

No it didn’t. It was paid for me by a company that only did brick/block work on hi-ab
(Green lorries from Barnstable)

ahh fair enough.

DABenji:
£354 for the two day course obviously it depends on the company as some have to hire the vehicle in to do the course also I was lucky enough to do it on my own.

Thank you. I was hoping I could have done it with a company not far from me when they next put some of their own drivers through the course (black lorries with red and yellow stripe) near Frome. I didn’t get a response from my e.mail though.

Semtex:

Andydisco:

upto 4 t/m
4 to 20 tm
and over 20 t/m

Interesting point here with Allmi.

In my instructors manual it has all the different classes and and codes for attachments, and it says that to get the codes on your card if youve done hook only then,for other attachments you have to do a conversion course.Likewise if youve done lets say brick grab only by rights you should do a conversion course for hook,ive found that depending on who you speak to at ALLMI the advice varies greatly
personally everytime Ive trained folk on brick grabs ive shown them how to use slings with them as ive done a few courses for agency lads doing builders merchant work

What about for RTITB? Thats the course I did and according to my instructor I dont need to do any other courses to use attachments which is happy day but wasnt sure about different weights, like I said he didnt inform me of any restrictions.

I’ve been a CPCS green & blue lorry loader card/licence holder since 2002 and have renewed it every 5 years via self validation and touchscreen H&S test,however I keep hearing that some sites are only accepting Allmi ,is this true ? I can’t see the point of me doing the Allmi as it’s a costly refresher every 5 years and limits you to the crane size tested on where as CPCS is any size and no refresher .

Dan Punchard:
I’ve been a CPCS green & blue lorry loader card/licence holder since 2002 and have renewed it every 5 years via self validation and touchscreen H&S test,however I keep hearing that some sites are only accepting Allmi ,is this true ? I can’t see the point of me doing the Allmi as it’s a costly refresher every 5 years and limits you to the crane size tested on where as CPCS is any size and no refresher .

Yes some/a lot of sites will only accept Allmi trained operators and ask to see your card, no card no use crane, a lot of sites wont let you on the wagon bed if there are no side rails now aswell so slinging up would/could be a little difficult, as for other questions on this post, by rights you carnt use a hook with strops/slings if it’s not marked on your card, some grabs have an hook in the middle for slings but to use that hook IS a separate code on your card, you carnt use a remote if it’s not marked on your card,

Hi ,I did do a post on edge protection but it got little interest ,so my card says lorry loader would I be wise to contact Cpcs and see about attachments including sling use ? Do cpcs do add ons ?

Dan Punchard:
Hi ,so my card says lorry loader would I be wise to contact Cpcs and see about attachments including sling use ? Do cpcs do add ons ?

yes and yes