Rtd question please

hi all, I done a 15 hour shift the other day, 10 hours drive time, my first 4.30 hours and 6 rtd I had a 20 min break after a few hours drive then later my rtd and drivers hours were running low at the same time so taken a 35 minute break to wipe the slate clean on my first part of my shift… I then worked a total of over 6 hours before I could stop for a break, my drivers hours were fine as I never went over the 4;30, I did plan to stop for my rtd but got caught in bad traffic and road works which taken me 20 minutes over my 6 hours rtd before I could find a safe place to stop which I then had a 50 minute break to wipe the slate clean and then stopped for my rest period before my last hours drive time was up, I have written the reason for the delay for my rtd break on the back of my tacho card… will vosa have me for it if I am pulled when they can see I taken my correct drivers breaks and was legal on my first 6 hours rtd ? also if vosa do pull me for it what fine will I have to pay? I have only been driving for a few months, past my test before xmas…thanks for any help

What does rtd stand for?

Im assuming your talking about Working Time Directive. If you get pulled over and thats all they find one 20min occasion they wont fine you.

The DVSA don’t bother regulating the RT(WT)R as they feel the drivers hours and tachograph regulations are more important, so no you won’t get done for it, you are likely to get an infringement for it though.

Your post is a little confusing as you start off by saying that “my first 4.30 hours and 6 rtd I had a 20 min break”, I’m assuming that you never went over 4½ hours driving time without a 45 minute break ?

mrginge:
What does rtd stand for?

Road Transport Directive, I’ve never really understood why some people refer to it as RTD when we work to the road Transport (Working Time) Regulations 2005 not the road transport directive, but as long as people know what’s being referred to it doesn’t matter much either way.

Ah right. I even checked my keyboard on my laptop to see if the ‘r’ and ‘w’ keys were next to each other and maybe the OP had fat fingers.

tachograph:
The DVSA don’t bother regulating the RT(WT)R as they feel the drivers hours and tachograph regulations are more important, so no you won’t get done for it, you are likely to get an infringement for it though.

Your post is a little confusing as you start off by saying that “my first 4.30 hours and 6 rtd I had a 20 min break”, I’m assuming that you never went over 4½ hours driving time without a 45 minute break ?

mrginge:
What does rtd stand for?

Road Transport Directive, I’ve never really understood why some people refer to it as RTD when we work to the road Transport (Working Time) Regulations 2005 not the road transport directive, but as long as people know what’s being referred to it doesn’t matter much either way.

no I never went over my 4.30 hours drive time, I had a 20 min break followed by a 35 minute break before my first 4.30 hrs were up and still had 15-20 minutes of drive time left on my second 4.30hrs but taken a 50 minute break before I done my last hour drive but I know I was over time for my rtd on the second part of my shift through road works and traffic jams… for my breaks I know they say 15 and 30mins or 45mins but I was told on my cpc training to err on the side of caution and always have 5 minutes more, to be fare my company told me the same when I started for them… I have been trying to keep things spot on but no man is a island and with our over crowded and full of road work road networks sometimes you can run pretty dam close to being caught out without meaning too…thanks for your help… think on my long hauls when the second 4.30hrs is when I am doing most of my drops and sometimes pick ups I will have two thirty min breaks’‘35’'…one to cover me for my rtd and the second to wipe the slate clean for my drive time just to be safe