RTD and WTD question

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I need clarification.
After 4.5 hours DRIVING we need a tacho break, although this can have been split into a 15 min and 30 min.
After 6 hours WORK we need a 30 minute working break.
So that means if I have done 3 hours driving and 3 hours other work I need a 30 min work break. Therefore can the 30 min work break also calss as a 30 min tacho break and then a second tacho break be 15 mins now instead of the 30 for the second brake?

Sorry if that sounds confusing but I heard that, as the WTD came in the tacho breaks can now be 30 then 15, rather than the recently introduced 15 and 30 (or 45 in one go).
Otherwise we will be taking 1 hour, rather than 45 mins break (30 mins working brake, therefore 15 mins driving brake, then a second tacho brake of 30 mins)?

Have I lost you all yet? Or cananyone make sense of what I just wrote please?

dangerousdave:
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I need clarification.
After 4.5 hours DRIVING we need a tacho break, although this can have been split into a 15 min and 30 min.
After 6 hours WORK we need a 30 minute working break.
So that means if I have done 3 hours driving and 3 hours other work I need a 30 min work break. Therefore can the 30 min work break also calss as a 30 min tacho break and then a second tacho break be 15 mins now instead of the 30 for the second brake?
Sorry if that sounds confusing but I heard that, as the WTD came in the tacho breaks can now be 30 then 15, rather than the recently introduced 15 and 30 (or 45 in one go).
Otherwise we will be taking 1 hour, rather than 45 mins break (30 mins working brake, therefore 15 mins driving brake, then a second tacho brake of 30 mins)?

Have I lost you all yet? Or cananyone make sense of what I just wrote please?

Only 15mins required at/before 6 hour

Second tacho break MUST be 30 mins

yeah thanks, I thought that the 30 mins work break could only still be classed as 15 mins tacho break if taken first, just heard it could be 30 and then 15 as well as the other way round. You know what the grapevine is like.

Breaks can be used BOTH for the RTD(WTD) and the tacho at the same time.
As long as you make sure that the tacho ones are complied with and you already know that - 15 mins followed by 30 mins if split.

EXAMPLE -
0600 start shift
0600 - 0900 other work
0900 - 1200 driving
1200 - 1215 break - this is for the first tacho break and for the 6 hour RTD(WTD) break
1215 - 1345 driving
1345 - 1415 break - this is for the second tacho break (as it now is 4.5 hours of accumulated driving time) and also counts for the RTD(WTD)
1415 - 1715 driving
1715 - 1745 other work
1745 finish shift

That is a shift of 11 hours and 45 mins of which only 11 hours is working time for the RTD(WTD) as breaks do not count.
For work over 9 hours a total of 45 mins of breaks for the RTD(WTD) must be taken - this has been complied with.

RTD(WTD) -
WORK = other work & driving time added together
No worker shall WORK more then 6 hours without a break
Each break shall be at least 15 mins
If the WORK total for the shift is between 6 and 9 hours then a minimum 30 mins of TOTAL breaks are needed
OR
If the WORK total for the shift is over 9 hours then a minimum 45 mins of TOTAL breaks are needed

I’ve not quoted the exact wording of the regs as I could not be bothered to C&P them :blush:

dangerousdave:
yeah thanks, I thought that the 30 mins work break could only still be classed as 15 mins tacho break if taken first

Which is a good reason to just take 15 minutes at 6 hours if you want to crack on. It’s also why the WTD only requires 15 minutes break at this point so it aligns with the tacho regulations.

dangerousdave:
You know what the grapevine is like.

Yep, full of nonsense such as you need 30 minutes at 6 hours. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

I dont have a clue about this WTD crap and personally dont care - all Im bothered about is keeping my cards straight so that the Guardia Civil, Gendarmes, Vostapo, Polizei etc… cant screw hundreds or thousands of euros out of me.

Hombre:
I dont have a clue about this WTD crap and personally dont care

To be honest, nor do UK drivers - it’s up to the EMPLOYERS to keep things straight - especially the averages - It is easy for VOSA to see if the DRIVER has gone over the 6 hour rule though but most cover that with the tacho breaks anyway - multidrop drivers doing loads of deliveries with very little driving are more likely to get caught out on that one.

ROG:

Hombre:
I dont have a clue about this WTD crap and personally dont care

To be honest, nor do UK drivers - it’s up to the EMPLOYERS to keep things straight - especially the averages - It is easy for VOSA to see if the DRIVER has gone over the 6 hour rule though but most cover that with the tacho breaks anyway - multidrop drivers doing loads of deliveries with very little driving are more likely to get caught out on that one.

doing multi drops quite regular, the most difficult thing is where do yo park a 40 ft truck in a city centre, a housing estate, a farm track.
its a night mare,you used to be able to park on most industrial estates, but most of them have got double yellows everywhere, i normally ask a customer if i can park up in corner of there yard

Take an extra 15 mins at one of the deliveries to get the break in :bulb: :question: