royal mail...

advertising today in the currant bun for experienced class 1 drivers, earning 500 nicker a week.

wish they’d remembered the “experienced” bit before reading my CV etc and inviting me for interview about 120 miles from home, taking me out on test drive, and getting me reasonably excited about the prospect - seems they only bothered to look through my app form while I was out on test-drive and realised I’d had my license a matter of 7 weeks or so, and so came out to tell me thanks but I wasn’t experienced enough.

doh!

not that I’d have taken it anyway - on the drive round, conversation got to the wages. £338 GROSS plus a weekly shift allowance typically between £12 to £22 (ish - not got the paperwork with me, I foolishly left it there).
overtime at under £9 an hour and not guaranteed - and pretty seasonal with more overtime in winter.

A bit of a difference to their £500.

NOT a happy bunny here!

I bet your not happy, what a bunch of fools.

Does the Advertising Standards Agency or Trading Standards not have something somewhere about posting misleading job ad’s.

If it was in a Newspaper then they have a duty to make sure they don’t print misleading ad’s, oh! sorry you said it was in the sun, so it was’nt in a newspaper.

Still annoying though. :unamused:

I think you have had a lucky escape, Can’t see how they get to £500 a week, when I was driving for them (well ParcelForce, but same pay) you had to do a full week of overtime to get anywhere near £350 pw takehome!!! And overtime would normally go to longest serving first, as did the runs, as did everthing come to think of it. Having said all that job was the easiest I have ever had. But am currently going through court with Royalmail over my Redundancy payment!!! :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

I didn’t think companies offering low wages could be too fussy regarding experience :astonished:

Maybe the £500 quid a week was for a nght driver as i was on £13 per hour on nights as class 2 driver working out of Hatfield for Royal Mail though Manpower agy, day rate was around £8 p/h

MAybe the £500 is a result of the WTD as its exactly the type of job that is going to be affected the worst.

some royal mail are on more than 500 a week i was listening to them talking a while back at their yard in leeds.

but that was a dirty trick i’d would have stuck into them for some x’s for thier mistake.

Have to be careful what I say but as an employee at Royal Mail, we were rather surprised at the advert fot £500 because we could not work out how they got to that figure.
Its’£300.82 gross per week plus £38.07 gross per week driving allowance.
The rest would be made up of overtime (after 40 hours basic which is offered on a seniorty basis) so it is working nights over the weekend to get weekend rate Plus night allowance, which all in gives you £500.

If you do a basic week of 40 hours Mon to Friday + 6 hours on a Saturday,
you gross just under £400 which netts out at just under £300

A lot of us drivers thought the advert rather misleading to say the least.

Problem management has Crick is in middle of nowhere so they can’t get the staff hence the enticement. I’m surprsed they turned anybody down due to lack of experience. I had none when I started, but with the facilites they have, there was time to practice trailer swaps. and reversing onto loading bays/parking bays etc. before they let me loose on the customers.

If it’s any consolation we are not happy bunnies either!

Personally yes you did have a lucky escape, but it you don’t need the income which I don’t - it suits me fine for the time being anyway.

Magic Mel:
Have to be careful what I say but as an employee at Royal Mail, we were rather surprised at the advert fot £500 because we could not work out how they got to that figure.
Its’£300.82 gross per week plus £38.07 gross per week driving allowance.
The rest would be made up of overtime (after 40 hours basic which is offered on a seniorty basis) so it is working nights over the weekend to get weekend rate Plus night allowance, which all in gives you £500.

If you do a basic week of 40 hours Mon to Friday + 6 hours on a Saturday,
you gross just under £400 which netts out at just under £300

A lot of us drivers thought the advert rather misleading to say the least.

Problem management has Crick is in middle of nowhere so they can’t get the staff hence the enticement. I’m surprsed they turned anybody down due to lack of experience. I had none when I started, but with the facilites they have, there was time to practice trailer swaps. and reversing onto loading bays/parking bays etc. before they let me loose on the customers.

If it’s any consolation we are not happy bunnies either!

Personally yes you did have a lucky escape, but it you don’t need the income which I don’t - it suits me fine for the time being anyway.

b4 i became a driver i used to work for adm mailing in leic and we had between 3 -6 royal mail wagons in a day and the full time boys used to brag about doing an extra run as they got paid x amount of hors o/t for it no matter how quick they did it :sunglasses:

shaun:
b4 i became a driver i used to work for adm mailing in leic and we had between 3 -6 royal mail wagons in a day and the full time boys used to brag about doing an extra run as they got paid x amount of hors o/t for it no matter how quick they did it :sunglasses:

Yep, we used to tell them how much overtime we wanted, to do a particular run. Could quite easily get 4 hrs O/T for a 45 min run…those were the days :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: