Royal Mail

Been reading a few posts on here which seem to think the pay for Royal Mail drivers is below par. Well after reading many of the other posts on here I just can’t see it. For example if I work a normal 5 day Mon - Fri late shift starting around 4pm and finishing at say 2am (50 hrs) I will earn approx £580 before tax thats about 30k. If I also worked an overtime shift every other weekend that would add at least £100 per each shift.
If thats bad money for one of the easiest driving jobs around then point me in the direction of something better. The benefits (pension, sick pay and leave ) are excellent too.
I saw an advert for tnt artic drivers in Bristol last year and the pay was stated as £436 for a 4 day 48 hour week, which just does not compare.
The work may be uneventful and not much of a challenge but I do it to pay the bills not to stimulate the mind…thats what home time with the family is for.

I wouldn’t mind getting in at the Royal Mail depot in Doncaster but there aren’t any vacancies for drivers. Well according to their website I’ve just been looking at, might give 'em a call on monday.

The benefits do look good, sick pay, holidays - plus the ability to “buy” additional holidays too. Pardon me if I don’t understand but how do you “buy” your holidays? Is it a case of, say, work an additional shift on top of your regular ones but don’t take the pay for it thus getting an extra paid holiday that way?

I think I will get mi arse down to Peterborough :laughing:

i can have an extra days holiday for just the cost of a days work.

I just ask for a days unpaid leave :laughing:

my brother in law works for royal mail at the big depot at whitwood and reckons theres going to be big lay off’s later this year due to tnt and dhl nicking alot of royal mails works.

on the flip side to that if TNT & DHL are taking on RM’s work they’ll need more drivers to fill the gap, so may well be more work with them

dennisw1:
on the flip side to that if TNT & DHL are taking on RM’s work they’ll need more drivers to fill the gap, so may well be more work with them

:laughing: :laughing: :smiley:

dennisw1:

And certainly a lot more hours as well (BUT for the same money).

Yeti:
The benefits do look good, sick pay, holidays - plus the ability to “buy” additional holidays too. Pardon me if I don’t understand but how do you “buy” your holidays? Is it a case of, say, work an additional shift on top of your regular ones but don’t take the pay for it thus getting an extra paid holiday that way?

Well, I don’t work for RM, but we are allowed to “buy” and “sell” holiday - basically, if you “buy” it, then you’re effectively just taking extra, unpaid holiday. If you “sell” holiday, you’re effectively working some of your (paid) holiday entitlement at double the hourly rate.

To avoid having a dip in the pay packet, the cost/bonus from buying/selling the holiday is spread across the year.

Do you get a free black and white cat,as one of the perks as well?:smiley:

Ken.

Quinny:
Do you get a free black and white cat,as one of the perks as well?:smiley:

Ken.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: