Royal Mail workers - right or wrong

I frequent many a forum post on a few, lurk on a few but what i have noticed is that there is a distinct lack of backing from the public over this. Unlike years before joe public has gave a great deal of backing to striking workers. But I’m getting the vibe the public won’t back this one, could be a number of factors credit crunch, run into Christmas, small businesses who rely on the RM suffering?

The Royal Mail has announced their biggest recruitment drive in their history wanting over 30,000 temp workers. They usually take on 10,000-15,000 to cope with christmas so is this 30k figure maybe sending out a signal to the strikeforce?

I’m a great backer of the Royal Mail workforce, i worked there for a period and seen the miracles they perform in turning around such a vast amount of letters/packages from one side of the country to the other. But even in my short time i could see the machines coming in doing the job of 10 people in half the time, email being a word of the devil.

Its one of the last great public services the UK has, but you look at the pension crisis it faces , you look at the government going cap in hand looking for a private buyer. You see the technology that is being introduced year in year out.

I fear for the workers, i fear for the union because i don’t see ‘‘the man’’ giving in this time, this is a battle that can’t be won by either side.

Its going to get messy :frowning:

ive also done a stint with RM, mainly on parcels though so wasnt too heavy, but i did a week on letter deliveries,

i really dont know how they can do it week in week out, i only 600+ letters to deliver every day, but by the end of the week i was as stiff as an old biddy with arthritus.

i do give them respect for it and being out in all weathers aswell. but i really dont know what to make of the whole thing tbh.

They are having a tantrum because they will have to actually work the hours they are contracted for instead of doing 4-5 hours a day and getting paid for 8. I worked for them as a summer job a few years ago, I came in at 5am and was home by 9am and got paid til 1pm.
Anyway I dont care what they do, santa will be bringing my parcels at xmas. :laughing: :laughing:

royal mail strike doe’snt bother me… its leeds city council bin men that have been on strike for 7 weeks now, luckily we have had our bins emptied about 3 times but i know people who havent had their bins empited for over 4 weeks.

Royal Mail posties are hard working but management is very poor IMHO.The management should be promoted from the shop floor instead of bringing them in from other fields.

I may have this wrong but from what I understand the management want to install more technology to do the work so less people are needed and that is what this is about - as I said, I may have this wrong…

alamcculloch:
Royal Mail posties are hard working but management is very poor IMHO.The management should be promoted from the shop floor instead of bringing them in from other fields.

ill agree with you here, the management are pretty useless

Silly ■■■■■ are talking themselves out the door, TNT are already waiting in the wings, they have asked for permission to carry out the delivery of mail to customers whilst the strike action is taking place.

TNT don’t have the resources to cope with 10% of the royal mail workload never mind 100%. You get a letter in the post its says tnt mail at the top - the customer pays tnt - tnt then subs the work out to royal mail - tnt cant even deliver their own customers mail FFS :unamused:

No one company in the UK has the resoures to step into the royal mails shoes overnight.

Less junk mail in my door :laughing:.
I know when me bill need paying so i dont ned reminders :laughing:
If i get flashed for speeding it wont arrive :laughing:
cant check me payslip :angry:
who gives a ■■■■ they are only doing this for their own gains and not for any other reason , in saying that if they were to strike about the cpc I’ll back em but to do less work (job and knock ) na Get off your ■■■ and do what ur paid to do

let them strike!

I’ve already seen about a 10% increase in the number of parcels (mostly from amazon) coming into our depot and our Christmas peak hasn’t even started yet.

Me? I’m laughing all the way to the bank

alamcculloch:

The main problem with the royal mail is the management IS promoted from the shop floor. Usually because they can’t do anything else!

wibble:

alamcculloch:

The main problem with the royal mail is the management IS promoted from the shop floor. Usually because they can’t do anything else!

well maybe the problem is the management know what goes on the shop floor through their own experiance.

the fact is the machines are coming wether the work force like it or not and there is going to be alot of redundecies.

I dont like the RM for the simple fact that are a load of :imp:
A few years ago I got sacked from the railways around about this time of year, and applied to them as a christmas type relief, never got back to me :imp:
And when I applied for a multidrop van driver with ParcelFarce, I got called for an interview so booked the day off work to go, gets there along with a few others (so I was imagining it), only to be told that the person doing the interview had gone sick, fair enough.
A week or so later I called them to rearrange the interview only to be told that there was no job in the first place… :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:
Their HGV drivers drive like absolute tossers - the artic I overtook last night, got level with his cab only for the prick to boot it and leave me in the middle lane, so when he went to overtake another artic and the other truck matched his speed so HE was in the middle lane, I got as close as safely possible and wasnt going to let the prick in, unfortunately the other artic lost a bit of speed on a hill so the ■■■■■■ in the RM truck got the advantage :imp:
Yes I know it was childish…
Did anybody notice in the strikes, the RM trucks where actually driven with a bit of consideration?
Sorry this has turned into a rant :blush:

If it is about saving money, then why the zb do they think I need a Christmas Card from them. In my important post this morning was a free newspaper, 2 leaflets from some loan sharks and one from a local scammer who is holding an old gold and jewelry valuation in the old folks centre. The Alzheimer sufferers will certainly get it’s true value from them I am sure :open_mouth:

I too received a crimbo card from them this morning…nothing else!

I think they realise that they didn’t get the public support they hoped for.

Well if they want to save money why don’t they sack Adam Crozier? Many years ago my Granddad was a manager at RM and he only had 1 other manager help him run a whole section, now for the same amount of staff they have 10 people run the shift to the 2 that they had in the past, if they run it as a public service and not like a failed service it would be great, end of the day making as much money for the top dogs is what is seems to be about,

Oh and the thing about going home early when your job is complete was a RM idea of cutting out the 2nd delivery and trying to motivate you to work quicker,

payslip turned up Friday dont normally get that till mon or tues

LONDON, November 28 - British postal workers could renege on an agreement to suspend strike action until after Christmas because of a lack of progress in talks aimed at resolving a dispute on pay, jobs and modernisation. Billy Hayes, general secretary of the Communication Workers Union (CWU), has written to members saying more strikes could be called within weeks because Royal Mail is refusing to offer enough concessions, British media reported on Saturday.

“Unless there is sufficient evidence of a change in management’s attitude, local agreements being reached and significant progress towards a full and final agreement, then we will have no alternative other than to return to strike action before Christmas,” The Daily Telegraph quoted Mr Hayes’ letter as saying.

This was in the Financial Times