Royal Mail v DVLA

My photographs expired a couple of days ago on my digi and on my licence.

Sent both down to the DVLA on December 27th and still haven’t been delivered.

I’ve sent this recorded signed for next day so it should have been there long before now. Been told not to come in to work next week as my 15 days are up but next day delivery doesn’t take 15 days. I’ve checked online and it’s not been delivered.

I know someone had an issue like this before - Can you get Royal Mail to own up and make a claim? Who’s paying my bills this week?

I’m pretty sure large organisations like the DVLA won’t sign for letters due to the fact they probably receive hundreds if not thousands every day. It probably has been delivered.

Does the photo expire on a digicard? there is no date to say it does, or did you reach expirery date on it.

On the Front of the Card is in my Case only the Photo which expires.
As long as on the Back on Your HGV Entitlement is a later Date you can drive till that Date.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=133562

I’ve never understood this photo expiry malarkey.

ITS STILL ME FFS!

the maoster:
I’ve never understood this photo expiry malarkey.

ITS STILL ME FFS!

Photo runs out after 10 Year.
As you update your HGV Entitlement every 5 Year you have now to deal with:
DVLA updates your Photo when application gets in,but to update your HGV License,if you over 45 the Medical Team needs Time and will update the HGV to a later Time. :arrow_right: Thats both sent off at once

Then,after 5 Year you update HGV Entitlement and Medical Team will need longer again as that it could be done with Date of Photo.

Then You send it of again.
That Time also Photo again,but by now is DVLA Medical Team that much behind that it could confuse uneperianced Office Staff who stops you driving when Photo runs out and not when HGV Entitlement would end.

If you dont want that,just work only with Companies whos Office has grown up in Transport and does know how and what they have to deal with.

You can do it online, they use your passport photo to update your licence. Easy peasy no problem at all. You need to remember the time of year you’ve sent it off, Christmas and new year it’s always going to be a slow process at this time of year.

Are you saying can you claim for loss of earning from Royal Mail because your licence wasn’t delivered? If so, then it will be a no.
TBH id have more belief in the Royal Mail saying its been delivered than in the DVLA saying they haven’t received it.
The online tracking system for Royal Mail is far from the best out of all the carrier companies. You’re best off contacting RM directly by phone or Twitter to ask about your tracking number as the website isn’t always accurate.

you dont need to send your digi card off, u can do it online and they send new one out and tell you to destroy the old one

MancunianAndy:
you dont need to send your digi card off, u can do it online and they send new one out and tell you to destroy the old one

Do you have a link to this? When I looked the best I could find was a downloadable pdf to print off and send back with a cheque or postal order.

Have tried online but it just won’t work for me. Spoke to them on the phone and they are clueless as to why it won’t work.

Just frustrating that I can’t work…

You’ve confused me. What exactly expired? If it was just the photo on the driving licence - there was no need to panic - as long as the category on the back was still valid you could drive.

The photo does not expire on the digital driver card - so what has expired?

Maybe this is why DVLA are struggling … They don’t know what you’re on about either.

If it is your actual digital card that has expired- call the DVLA and ask them to confirm a new one has been issued and dispatched. If it has then treat it as a lost card, send for a replacement and legally carry on driving on the basis of a lost card. If the DVLA have told you a new card has been issued then it is now lost. They will give you a reference number.

I suppose the lesson learned is renew your card earlier!!!

stagedriver:
My photographs expired a couple of days ago on my digi and on my licence.

Sent both down to the DVLA on December 27th and still haven’t been delivered.

I’ve sent this recorded signed for next day so it should have been there long before now. Been told not to come in to work next week as my 15 days are up but next day delivery doesn’t take 15 days. I’ve checked online and it’s not been delivered.

I know someone had an issue like this before - Can you get Royal Mail to own up and make a claim? Who’s paying my bills this week?

If not already done so I’d contact the DVLA to see if they have your card’s.
I believe it can take up to 21 day’s to get them back.
I also know there is no such thing as Signed for next day. The only thing that is guaranteed next day is special delivery.
I’m also shocked a P’O was open on Sunday 27th December, although I know some do open on a Sunday now.

stagedriver:
Have tried online but it just won’t work for me. Spoke to them on the phone and they are clueless as to why it won’t work.

postoffice.co.uk/uk-driving- … rd-renewal
Some Post Offices do it too

Sutty111:
Do you have a link to this? When I looked the best I could find was a downloadable pdf to print off and send back with a cheque or postal order.

There is no need to post anything to renew a tachograph card. Before it expires you get a reminder letter.
You simply phone DVLA with your payment card details and they issue a new one.
The only time you ever need to return a tacho card to the DVLA is if it is faulty to prove this, otherwise they will charge you the cost as a lost or damaged card.

Glen A9:

Sutty111:

There is no need to post anything to renew a tachograph card. Before it expires you get a reminder letter.
You simply phone DVLA with your payment card details and they issue a new one.
The only time you ever need to return a tacho card to the DVLA is if it is faulty to prove this, otherwise they will charge you the cost as a lost or damaged card.

gov.uk/government/uploads/s … 071114.pdf

stagedriver:

But what are you actually trying to renew?

If your licence has passed it’s expiry date it doesn’t affect your entitlement to drive, although it obviously a legal requirement to update the photo.
Is your employer saying you can’t drive because of this?

gov.uk/dvlaforms

postoffice.co.uk/branch-finder
our nearest branches are shown below, click a pin on the map or a Branch details link for more information.
Some branches close at certain times during the day (e.g. lunch hours). Please click ‘Branch details’ to see the opening hours of the chosen branch.
Glasgow
136 West Nile Street, Glasgow, Glasgow City
G1 2RDMap | Branch details
Charing Cross
533 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow, Strathclyde
G3 7PHMap | Branch details
Springburn Way
230 Springburn Way, Glasgow, Strathclyde
G21 1BUMap | Branch details
Crosshill
540 Cathcart Road, Glasgow, Strathclyde
G42 8YGMap | Branch details
Partick
384 Dumbarton Road, Glasgow, Strathclyde
G11 6RYMap | Branch detail

Immigrant:
gov.uk/government/uploads/s … 071114.pdf

There’s no need to use that for a standard renewal or to replace a lost or damaged card, unless you would rather pay by cheque than by credit or debit card.

If the DVLA have sent your document and you have not received them yet , you need to fill in a DL1 form .
As the DVLA use second class post there is no way for the Royal Mail to be able to track you posted document.
The DVLA may ask you to wait 21 days before you can file the DL1 form but you can argue that that only applies to first class mail .
Google Second Class mail you will be surprised , it’s not just about time of delivery and price .
You then will know why government agencies use Second Class mail.