Royal Mail NDC Crick

I’m going through application with them at the moment and I’m up to licence check stage so no interview as yet.

Anyone got a heads up on shift pattern, money etc? Can PM me if you like.

I was a 600(7.5t) driver when I worked at RM did 27 years Postman to 7.5t driver, I know a few guys who work out of Swindon and Bristol, Its reasonably easy work, you do have to help load and unload the trailers and if you stop for any reason mid journey they will phone you, you’ll basically be doing trunking to RDC’s and Mail Centres(if there are any left). I found it quite boring when I did the 600 driving. You get what they call P318 which lists your tasks for the day including meal breaks and the last I heard it was monthly pay.

We do some traction for them out of Avonmouth & Crick, all I can add is that you can see why stamps cost so much nowadays, its a weird set-up where your breaks are planned whether you want or need them, and there is no “getting ahead”, its timed to the second

I`ve got a few mates on the trunking, who have been there since leaving school, and now touching 64/65, they are on a good number, but at some stage their “think for yourself” button was removed, and replaced with a “whinge/Whine” button :blush:

I’m a bit out of touch these days but new starters used to get Friday to Monday shifts, all random start finish times. It’s not a job with work life balance unless your have 35 years++ service then you can pick what you want :smiling_imp:

Pension is very good
Wages are good especially if working nights as it’s £20+ straight thorough.

Average wage in Severn beach is 52k at the moment apparently. Oh and royal mail don’t recognize POA so max 60 hours

Hope that helps

Must be a local depot thing if you’re doing 60 hours. Up here at YDC you’re pretty much always done in 10 hours. Despite what some members from Kent on here would have you believe, the times they give you are generous and it’s virtually impossible to be late anywhere if you’re at least a half-decent driver. Get friendly and on first name terms with the regulars at the hubs and you’ll always have someone to help you load and unload. I wouldn’t personally work for them full-time as the rotas are gnarly unless you’ve done 35 years with them (as someone said above). Through agency you can pick and choose your own shifts to a big extent, although you’ll have to suffer 12 weeks at agency rate before getting parity. They have a lot of dross on agency and so if you’re capable of doing the job without hitting anything/anyone and not gobbing off at RM staff your phone won’t stop ringing with shifts.

As others have said, seniority is everything. That canteen is seriously cliquey…

A mate who works there says the atmosphere has changed considerably recently, they’ve always been comfortable in the knowledge they were on the best rates around.

That now isn’t the case, in that Northants/Crick/J18 area there are numerous >20ph rates being touted around, and certain aspects of the job, like the complicated and silly break deductions (of more than 45 minutes!) are getting backs up. Both Pertemps and Manpower are struggling and therefore the core drivers are being asked to do duties they don’t want to and it’s affecting morale.

ATJT:
As others have said, seniority is everything. That canteen is seriously cliquey…

A mate who works there says the atmosphere has changed considerably recently, they’ve always been comfortable in the knowledge they were on the best rates around.

That now isn’t the case, in that Northants/Crick/J18 area there are numerous >20ph rates being touted around, and certain aspects of the job, like the complicated and silly break deductions (of more than 45 minutes!) are getting backs up. Both Pertemps and Manpower are struggling and therefore the core drivers are being asked to do duties they don’t want to and it’s affecting morale.

Oh yeah I’d forgotten about that. Can’t remember the specifics of it now but if work beyond a certain amount of hours you’re actually working for less money than if you did less hours. You had to go quite a bit beyond it for it to be worthwhile but the hours aren’t in the job to make it work.

Headline pay says 33(ish)k for 35hr contract? Tbh I’d be fine with that but I assume there’s always a bit more hours in real terms than the contract states? So I assume not all of your duties will be 8hr, some will be more? And also assume that base salary is based on standard rates and not nights/weekend uplifts?

Duties average around 39hrs (paid) so about 44hrs total inc unpaid breaks, extra hrs over contracted will be paid as overtime.
Depending on weekly rota, 5 days week around 9hr per shift, 4 day week around 11hrs per shift. Easy work, everyone nice, once you’re in you’ll never leave.

Is the waiting room the same as the dump in Cov ?
Like a scrap yards bog :confused:

There drivers always looked to be in a bloody rush to me , often trying to overtake at the last min for jct 18 of the m1 or let’s see if we can fit 2 artics around a r/o
The pay may be good , but it’s not what I’d call a good job when you need to do those types of thing , is 1/2 mins following a lorry off the m1 going to make much difference
Everything I read suggested hourly pay , but there driving suggests salary

dozy:
There drivers always looked to be in a bloody rush to me , often trying to overtake at the last min for jct 18 of the m1 or let’s see if we can fit 2 artics around a r/o
The pay may be good , but it’s not what I’d call a good job when you need to do those types of thing , is 1/2 mins following a lorry off the m1 going to make much difference
Everything I read suggested hourly pay , but there driving suggests salary

It’s called job & knock doze,. Quicker finished= more pay for sleeping in your bed.

Lots of their drivers work up through from being postie’s so it’s ingrained in them for the same reason as above.

Most postie’s back in the day often had 2nd jobs in afternoon hence the rushing to get the job done.

In contrast I never see a stressed Royal Mail driver, you never see them at the window of an RDC giving grief out to the desk person for example :laughing:

Full Time -36.25 standard working week, anything above those hours are paid at O/T rate + Late/Night Shift Allowance.

Got an invite to go for an assessment today. Too late to do anything about it so will call up tomorrow. Any ideas what to expect?

I registered with them recently after a few years away. The trainer said all new starters get the ■■■■■■■■■ runs but after a few years you get something a bit more decent. As has been said, seniority is everything here soo it will take many years to get the cream at which point it becomes a dead mans boots thing.

But, one man’s cream is another man’s vomit, A run the regulars don’t want might work for you.