Royal Mail interview

Hey all, just wondering if anyone has been for an interview with Royal Mail for driving?
I’m already working for them as a postie but have done my C and C+E independently of the company and applied for their driver career path. What kind of things should I expect at interview? How should I be preparing for this?
I really, really, REALLY want this, I like working for RM but my knees can’t take much more of the endless pounding on deliveries, and have always wanted to drive for a living since I was a tadpole.
Any advice gratefully received. :smiley:

Don’t mention any health problems such as bad knees in the job application or at interview.

Most companies are intolerant of staff who take sick days, so any hint of health problems and they will look elsewhere for someone who does not have these issues.

Tell the company that you regularly climb Mount Everest, swim the English channel, and are planning to reach the North Pole single handed. It’s all about being fit, fit, fit, these days.

Good luck!

Cheers mate, I am pretty fit anyway and do actually climb, and surf, and cycle a lot. Oh and obviously do a lot of walking, every day! My sick time is minimal and they’ll know that already hopefully.

get your hair cut! i sailed threw my driving assessment and interview @ 10 years ago,but failed to get a job.i heard a whisper they didn’t like my appearance :frowning:

Good luck.
You’ve got a good start as you already work for them and will take preference over any outsider.
Try and find out about the safe systems of work for loading trucks as they’ll question you about things they think you should already know (remember most being interviewed will have been working for them via agency so should know it all already)
If you’re not sure of the answer just say to refer to the SSOW manual.
They’ll ask about vehicle checks and driver hours which you’ll be expected to know.
You’ll also have to do a drive with a driver coach who’ll assess you. Don’t worry about being new or not having driven before, they’ll only be looking for you to be safe and not dangerous. If you ever see any 600 drivers who come to your delivery office and have a question then ask them. They may not be able to help when it comes to CE stuff but almost everything else is the same for them as it is us.
Which area/VOC are you applying for?

Thanks M1cks, that’s helpful. I guessed that the drivers hours and WTD would come up, unfortunately as this really confuses me. Looked at the gov.uk simplified pages which just did my head in further.
Where are you based? I’m really hoping for a job in Wolverhampton, but would take anywhere within reasonable distance.